Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Use of GPS on Mil-Sim Games

:

Gear Discussion

Old January 20th, 2006, 13:03   #1
Haggis

Send a message via MSN to Haggis
Use of GPS on Mil-Sim Games

Has anyone found GPS to be of use during Mil-Sim games, for squad coordinating and location finding etc...i have a GPS and have used it once in a game, obviouslyeveryone in the team needs one to relate to coo-ords. would like to hear comments. thanks

MEDIC !!! bring the preperation H !!
Give a man a fish, he can feed his family for a day.
Give a man a fishing rod, he can feed his family for a year.
Give a man a gun, he can execute his family, fish when he wants, and eat all he catches.
"guide to being a bastard" HAGGIS 1998
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 13:21   #2
alex_c_t

i bought one just for airsoft and i never ended up using it.

the fields i played at were not that big to require any navigation aid, even the first time we played there, and after a few times (if you were paying any attention to your surrounding) you would pretty much memorize the field.

i suppose it would come in handy when playing on a new field (just to mark the safe / out of bounds area), or for one of the bigger games, like keystone.
alex_c_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 13:44   #3
Gish

Yes it all depends on others having GPS as well.
I've tried to use one before but the vast majority of Airsofters even at big games do not carry GPS on them. Most of the time we'll have gridded maps on hand and go from there.
Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 13:45   #4
SEALs

Send a message via ICQ to SEALs Send a message via AIM to SEALs Send a message via MSN to SEALs Send a message via Yahoo to SEALs
for snipers, its the best thing when youre reconning the enemy positions. Beside that, our range of engagement is so close that its not quite usefull.

Father of fear, reckless and widowmaker
SEALs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 14:01   #5
GMTII
WW2 Airsofter

Last edited by GMTII; May 11th, 2012 at 16:05..
GMTII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 14:32   #6
Haggis

Yeah guys you all make a valid point.
The signal issue could be a pain in the *** if your in dense wooded areas...i wondered if it would have an application for calling in specific target locations to the whole team if playing larger games and like you say on bigger maps, and/or night games. I have a little garmin etrex unit so i will give it a go throught this season and keep u noted on how it all played out

Give a man a gun, he can execute his family, fish when he wants, and eat all he catches.
Old January 20th, 2006, 14:44   #7
GraveTech

Send a message via MSN to GraveTech
Look into the Garmin Rhino system of GPSes, it was designed in conjunction with SAR teams and can report your location to other Rhino units. There is also a base-station style thing I believe (or it hooks into a computer not sure). From what I remember you are able to set locations and what not on the map for others to see. It would probably cost a pretty penny to set up, but a team would be able to make use of it. Also, the Rhino units have GMRS/FRS ability which makes it doubly useful.
GraveTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 14:47   #8
nutboi

i have the Garmn rino 120 and the 110. they can send eachother the gps location of the other and it would show up on the screen. they also have gmrs/frs on it but it's only 2watt. i've only used it a few times. you can also mark spots on ur gps but i havn't tried sending between the two units yet.

EDIT: yes u can connect to ur pc and set waypoints and then dload them. the units as u said are pricey but ebay is your friend.
nutboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 15:03   #9
GraveTech

Send a message via MSN to GraveTech
The higher models also show you topographical maps of the area that you can zoom in and out of.
GraveTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2006, 15:08   #10
nutboi

i bought that program for my rino 120 aswell as mapsource. i find that mapsource was really handy but topo canada wasn't as much help for the price of the software but at least i know what elevation i'm at though.
nutboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:37   #11
Haggis

just ordered a garmin 530 from the USA, this way we get the 5 watt ver rather than the crappy 2 watt canada version...i will post up my findings and feasibility of this unit for airsofting soon...it arrives end april

Old April 19th, 2007, 16:13   #12
Kimbo
formerly pivot

we use the rhino 120 version on our team and it works awesome. When we talk to each other on the radio it instantly beams the persons location to our gps.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 00:43   #13
Swatt Six-Four
Formally SwattMedic

I was wondering if one of you folk would mind doing a review on the rino system. I am interested in a unit but I really don't want to sink that kind of cash on something that I know little about. Is there any kind of monthly GPS service fee? Are there any draw back we should know about? Are the features as advertised? Ease of use? ect ect ect...... Any helpful repleys would be greatly appreciated

"Pain is just a symptom of weakness leaving the body"
-Herb Ferh
Swatt Six-Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:03   #14
Bandit

I carry a Garmin Foretrex on the inside of my wrist. I get a lot of use out of it, and don't need to worry too much about it getting damaged as it is out of the way in a firefight.

I find it good for navigating fields I haven't played much if at all, of course. It also assists in communicating intel to other players.

It also provides fun statistics at the end of the day, and comes in one colour: OD!
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:50   #15
NachoPuddin

GPS sounds like a great idea for big games, or special ops, but as to interference from trees, I though trees did relatively nothing to signal, though its more metals and salts that mess with the read

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."-Albert Einstein
NachoPuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion