Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Magpul PTS PDR-C

:

Doctor's Corner

Old January 2nd, 2016, 10:34   #1
Heavy
DeathStudent

Magpul PTS PDR-C

Ok have been running for 3 three years and the piston is done ,changed with a 14 metal teeth running fine but the question is the gears .... was all plastic teeth before will the metal teeth break my gears and can I find propery repelacement gears and what gear would you suggest. besides this this thing is still baddass
Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 18:13   #2
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

I'm not a gun doc but I think most recommend running pistons with plastic teeth for the reason they are easier to replace then gears. Probably doesn't help you right now unless you want to switch out pistons.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 21:01   #3
Dynamo
Harvester of Noobs' Sorrow

Send a message via MSN to Dynamo
the majority of the time that a piston fails, it fails on the first tooth to about mid-way.
i like to think of pistons as a safety feature that protects the rest of the gear box. i rather have the piston fail than the gears, so i never use full metal teeth pistons. especially in a system that is running with a high rate of fire. at most i'll use a piston with half/half metal to plastic teeth.

the metal teeth are good for drawing the piston the last bit where the most pressure is excreted on it. if something obstructs the barrel and prevents a BB from being shot out this causes back pressure, and will slow the return of the piston. during full auto, this will cause the gears to engage the piston mid-teeth. if the piston teeth are plastic, they are sacrificed, if they are steel, you are looking at new gears.

at least thats how i see things, and generally it's what i have dealt with for over a decade of fixing guns.

with lower ROF set ups (generally outdoor FPS (380-450)), full metal rack is fine. if something has blocked the barrel, you find out on the first or second shot and can prevent damage to the gears.

Don't look at me, I don't know, lol ¯\(°_o)/¯.
Dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner