Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Need help getting started.

:

Newbie Tank

Old January 26th, 2018, 01:48   #1
MattV

Need help getting started.

Het guys, I'm a new guy to the forums and to airsoft in general. I've played paintball for around 16 years, but the local group has been dwindling to the point that I didn't play at all in 2017. A friend recently opened a sporting goods store, and is selling airsoft stuff. He also intends to organize a group to play, so airsoft it is I guess.

Last weekend I had the chance to play airsoft in a different town, at an indoor CAB field. I had a good time, particularly enjoying the urban environment, which I haven't had much chance to see in paintball. They rented me a G&G M4, which I had no complaints about.

On to the point, I'm out of my element trying to decide on gear, specifically the gun. I've read as much as I can here, but aside from the difference between an AEG and GBB, I'm finding mostly old info in the stickied posts. My friend recommends the G&G raider, and I did like the M4 I rented when I played. The issue is, he's only played around 10 times, so I'm not sure how educated he is on the subject. Based on what I've read, G&G seems well thought of, but I like to weigh my options. I've tried looking at online stores for comparable guns to research, but at this point everything is just a barrage of meaningless numbers and letters, with unfamiliar brand names.

What I'm looking for is an AR style AEG in the $2-300 range, maybe a little more for the right gun. What exactly is it that sets a $500 M4 apart from a $200 one? I prefer either a long or adjustable stock, as I have long arms. I've had limited selection to hold and get a feel for, but the M4 seems like a great platform. My options so far have been the G&G raider, a used Ares M4 that a friend offered me (unsure the model, all plastic though) for about half the price. I'm leaning toward the raider. Is this a good/reliable starter? Will I be looking to replace it with a higher performance gun in the near future? Arw there other brands/models/platforms I should be looking into that are comparable?
MattV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 02:27   #2
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

First off, congrats on your evolution from paintball.

If you're looking for an AEG M4 platform IMO you have two options.

1) For a budget $250 and under, get a G&G CM (Combat Machine). Best value in this price range and has a good track record for reliability and compatibility with aftermarket parts. Just don't spend any more than $250 on a CM. I say get the raider, they can be found for $200. It's a great starter gun, it's got some rails and shoots well out of the box.

2) For a budget $350 and up get a VFC. I'm partial to the SOPMOD's but the fighter is a good option too. For the extra price you get:
- generally better internals, stronger mechbox, better airseal
- metal receiver and arguably the best externals in the industry.
- arguably the best brand for upgrades

Don't forget you'll need mags and a battery and charger on top of the gun.

Anything beyond $350, you're typically paying for mosfets and fancy externals -e.g. rails, licensed trades, anodizing and propitiatory systems such as the TM recoil shock. Externals generally represent most of the pricing differences. Guns from the same manufacturer have the same internals among their respective lines.

Used guns can be risky as a first purchase if you don't know how to diagnose and fix problems, they can cause more trouble than you save. I'm not a big fan of Ares but I'm sure others will disagree.

Last edited by Kozzie; January 26th, 2018 at 02:58..
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 08:27   #3
Amos

The difference between a G&G and VFC gun is like night and day.

For what ends up being practically next to no additional money you can buy a quality built product instead of an entry level product.

Browse around for some VFC's if you like M4s, it's really difficult go wrong when buying a VFC.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 21:14   #4
Iceking007

This is good info and a good thread. I too have been looking for my first buy, so I'm glad to get the input.

I won't hijack.
Iceking007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 01:24   #5
MattV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceking007 View Post
This is good info and a good thread. I too have been looking for my first buy, so I'm glad to get the input.

I won't hijack.
No worries man, ask away I'm sure it will help answer some of my questions too.

I've been trying to search up info on the VFC guns, but most everything I find is linked to a store (paid positivity), or brief rundowns of the same things found on every gun (why do I need to hear about the mag release or safety found on every M4?) What difference can I expect to actually notice between the VFC guns and a raider? I'm guessing better durability, but what else? And could I expect the same performance in the sub $400 guns? I would definitely rather go with something that I won't want to replace in a year or two, rather than cheating out on something short term.

Last edited by MattV; January 27th, 2018 at 01:27..
Old January 27th, 2018, 14:23   #6
Iceking007

I'm in the exact same boat, the benefit you have is everyone buys an M4 so if that's what you're looking for you'll find success.

I however am going after G36Cs and C7s. I like that they're rare but also difficult to get quality. Plus I really like the GBBs but guess I'll have to settle for AEGs lest I want to waste my money.

I hate how the only reviews you can find are when people take them from the boxes. Like you mentioned... it would be nice to have a three year update.

Keep it coming in everyone.

Edit: I have heard both good and bad about G&G so it seems they are hit and miss but better than most. Tm keeps coming up; I hear great internals with aftermarket support but cheaper exteriors. VFC I hear are great externals but internals not so great and lots of proprietary so not much aftermarket support.

Just what I've gathered over two weeks of asking. I'm looking at G&G and VFC as I don't mind replacing parts more often to have a nice looking machine. Hopefully the accuracy won't be an embarrassment. Time will tell. I have to buy something to start with.

Last edited by Iceking007; January 27th, 2018 at 14:28.. Reason: added content.
Iceking007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 17:14   #7
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

Most of your questions have already been answered. If you can afford it, it's most definitely worth getting a VFC over a G&G. The G&G CM lineup have polymer receivers, while being good for what they are, they'll feel like a toy next to the full metal goodness of a VFC. Look at the VFC VR16 line, starting around $350 they're a great buy. You can get a base model and put fancy furniture/rails on it later.

VFC M4's do NOT have propitiatory parts. As I already mentioned they're widely regarded as the best AEG to upgrade from. VFC M4's are completely TM spec (industry standard), when it come to parts. VFC used to have a couple internal parts known for failing over time. It was mainly due to the material they were made from. VFC addressed the issue a few years ago. Be careful you're not parroting antiquated and inaccurate information.

G&G's entry line is good at that price point but there are better guns to be had for the price of their higher tier M4's, namely VFC's.

Last edited by Kozzie; January 28th, 2018 at 00:37..
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 19:36   #8
MattV

So I've decided I'm likely going to go for a raider, and use the extra money to get a TM M&P9. I have a real M&P 9, and when I saw there were airsoft replicas I had to have one.

I've been trying to figure out what battery to get. Looks like the 7.4 Lipo is the way to go? I've also read that it could cause issues and the 9.6 nimh is better?
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank