Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

.25g or .28g bb ?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old April 4th, 2015, 10:04   #1
zapper

.25g or .28g bb ?

I have had a Dan Wesson 6" revolver for two years and recently got a KJW KP-05 hi-capa. I have been using 28g. bbs with good accuracy results for my
indoor target distance of 18 feet. Should I stay with this weight , change to
25g.( less expensive) or does it matter for this distance? Thanks!
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 10:34   #2
L473ncy

If you're using it indoors then use whatever but if you want the accuracy and range outdoors then my inclination is to use .28's.
Old April 4th, 2015, 10:46   #3
zapper

Apart from the .28 hitting harder at this distance- should both weights give
identical accuracy with these pistols?
Old April 4th, 2015, 11:08   #4
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

At short ranges with minimal environmental influence. (Wind, sun, humidity etc..) you wont notice much aside from a louder whack as the heavier bb will hold energy longer. Out doors, and over longer ranges you will have a longer effective range and less effect from the environment with a heavier weight, so long as you dont go too heavy and your hop up can provide enough spin. A good hop up on a 400fps setup is good to run .28-.32 no problem. I run .30's in all my outdoor guns aside from my bolt action. Indoors i run whatever, most indoor places should be going to a strick .20 or .25 maximum weight for safety sake, not sure if that took hold or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 11:09   #5
zombiesniper

For outdoor use I prefer to use the heaviest bb that the hop up can lift. Less deviation due to wind with heavier bb's leads to more accuracy.
Hectic beat me too it, and with a much better explanation. lol
zombiesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 12:04   #6
SuperHog

If this is true, then dimpled bbs will change a lot of things in airsoft. You may get greater ranges on .2 bbs and even more with heavier bbs.

http://popularairsoft.com/news/new-a...g4-dartles-bbs
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 12:18   #7
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

It could be practical in theory. Works great for golf at any rate lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 13:10   #8
SuperCriollo

I'm pretty sure the dimpled BBs are an April's fool prank.

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 15:27   #9
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

The BB's are spinning way too fast and are too light. Dimples wouldn't work well at all.

And my pistol works best with .32s
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 21:24   #10
zapper

Thanks for replies for my purpose, I will try .25g to compare with .28g.
Any opinions on Elite Force brand? I have been using BB Bastards.Someone told that most bbs come out of the same factory and packaged under various brand names.
Old April 5th, 2015, 19:24   #11
Windows

A general rule to go by to get the maximum performance out of a given muzzle energy is to try and get your bb's muzzle velocity as close to 300 fps regardless of muzzle energy. There are complex reasons why this is true but for example if your gun outputs 1J you should be using .25 for the best results for 1.5J you should be using .36 etc. However, since the difference is marginal, feel free to use whatever you choose, just pick a good brand.

For more reading
http://bbbastard.com/msed/
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 20:22   #12
ThunderCactus

I hate when people quote that project. It was very well done, but it was done well before there were any REALLY good hop rubbers or even really good understanding of hopups.
You put an Rhop on a gun and it blows all those charts out of the water.
Using .30s at 2.3j, they're only getting 220ft of range
Using .30s at 1.6j with an Rhop, we're seeing ranges up to 300ft

The rule of thumb for selecting ammo weight is "use the heaviest possible ammo without losing significant range"

I'm not disputing the results or method of testing. Just that the results are no longer concurrent with what we're seeing with new hopup types.

Last edited by ThunderCactus; April 5th, 2015 at 20:27..
Old April 5th, 2015, 20:51   #13
Windows

I will have to dispute your rebuttal for the following reasons:

1) The ATP project does not need to account for differences in hop up design as the project was created using computer models that only dealt with the aerodynamics after the bb has left the barrel.

2) the graphs only show data up to ~220 ft because they only predicted the model to a maximum amount of bullet drop of 60 inches obviously if you have an increase in overhop, or simply aim above your target you can easily exceed 60 inches of compensation.

3) we know that the accuracy of an airsoft gun is dependent on a number of factors beyond what weight of bb is in the gun.

However, I still conclude that given a perfect gun (mathematical model) and amount of hopup set correctly, that 300 fps muzzle velocity (slightly faster for heavier weight ammo) will produce better results based on the relationship of "the derivative of the rotational velocity vs derivative of linear velocity" curve.

If you have evidence to suggest otherwise, please share. (it's kind of my thing)
Old April 5th, 2015, 21:39   #14
ThunderCactus

I both agree and disagree. I myself have also found that it's a good reference to have an actual velocity around 300-330fps, however, it's dependent on your hopup and muzzle energy.
Some hops simply won't have enough friction to put enough backspin on a .30, so even at 1.6j you'll still only be getting 200ft of range
Whereas with flat and Rhop, you can put enough backspin on a .30 to use it effectively at even 1j of force and still get 200ft of range. At that point you're reducing max potential range due to a lack of energy rather than a lack of hopup.

So using whatever weight to get within that 300-330 actual fps range is a good reference, but ultimately the best method is to use the heaviest ammo possible before losing range due to a lack of energy or backspin.

For example, both before and after Rhopping my pistol, it only shot 310fps on .20s. So therefore, by the reference, I should use .20s. But, in practice, I get the best possible range and accuracy when using .32s at an actual velocity of only 240fps. And the .32s outperform both .25s and .28s.
Old April 5th, 2015, 22:43   #15
Windows

It's funny you mention that. I also achieve better results with gas pistols using heavier weights.
I think this may be because heavier bbs are less effected by environmental factors which become more pronounced at exceptionally slow velocities.
It may also be that the amount of hop up applied and muzzle velocity differences (inherently larger in gas guns) may very well outweigh the advantage of a slightly flatter and more stable trajectory.

I think it's now safe to conclude that there is no appreciable difference between .25 and .28. and that for spring operated guns, a muzzle velocity around 300~330 is best where gas guns will benefit from as much weight as you can reasonably pack on.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion