Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Question on Sidearm

:

Newbie Tank

Old January 29th, 2013, 12:12   #1
TurlteRaph

Question on Sidearm

I am new to airsoft and I am looking for a sidearm.

Is GBB pistol is good choice?

This is the pistol in question: http://www.milsig.ca/airsoft-guns-kj...l-slide-p-2063
TurlteRaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:19   #2
Danke

Sidearms are great. I'd avoid the clear frame stuff. It's a bit of a drag when you see everyone else with a nice black pistol.
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:21   #3
Towe1ey

I won't say anything bad about that site, the prices however, are a bit ridiculous IMO.
Towe1ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:27   #4
redneck12

+1
Buy full metal 1911, the KJ MEU is a great pistol, I have owned both the tinted lower and the full metal and the tinted was quickly sold once I got my grubby hands on a full metal.
redneck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 17:55   #5
TurlteRaph

Thank you for everyone's advice. I just bought a full metal KJW 1911.. Better not to waste the money on something plastic frame.
Old January 30th, 2013, 18:37   #6
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I haven't used my sidearm in anger in a LONG time, honestly I probably haven't shot anyone with it all season.
But I'd much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 19:41   #7
Metalsynth

We do pistol/shotgun only games sometimes around here, they're Mad fun.

I stick to KWA/KSC for one major reason :

The magazines still work no1 after 4 years.

I only have bad stories to tell from other companies regarding the mags of my other models.

Certified Level 2 BA Sniper
Si ton épée est trop courte, allonge la d'un pas. ( Proverbe Hongrois )
Metalsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 22:07   #8
Kuro_Neko

Send a message via ICQ to Kuro_Neko Send a message via AIM to Kuro_Neko Send a message via MSN to Kuro_Neko Send a message via Yahoo to Kuro_Neko
This seems to be alittle late, since you've stated you bought one already but sidearms aren't really required right away so if you're on a limited budget then hold off on the sidearm in favor of a good rifle and the rest of the basic gear you need.

There are really only two choices when it comes to sidearms, AEP's (automatic electric pistol) or GBB's (gas blow back).

The problem with AEP's is they're weak fps. Small batteries mean they have little staying power as well. No blowback either, or if they do, then they're even weaker then normal.

GBB's fire hotter, last longer (or rather are much easier to refill) and, due to blowback, are much cooler. The only reason pretty much anyone gets a AEP is to have a sidearm for the colder months. The only way to get a good performance AEP is if you start going into the borderline smg area like mp7's or mp5k's.

A good AEP is going to be about the same cost as a good GBB and still won't have as good a performance as even a cheap GBB.

The KJW 1911 is a great gun, I have one myself (the 1911a1 model). I see you stated you bought a full metal KJW 1911 and I also see you're not age verified, which means you didn't get it through us. I hope you didn't order it from a site outside of Canada, cause if you did you're very unlikely to get it. Full black guns are prohibited by Canadian customs and will be seized if customs catches it.

A couple of things to be aware of with that gun though: The single stack mags are alittle more troublesome doublestack ones. Since BB's are tiny compared to bullets, a single stack mag holds as many rounds as a double stack mag. The problem is the gas reservoir is substantially smaller. With a ABS slide you can almost always get through a single mag's worth of BB's but not much more. With a metal slide (which the KJW 1911 has) you're reduced to no more then 15 rounds, maybe 20 on a hot day with slow firing.

Another thing is mag reliability. Alot of people report KJW mags are finicky. I've owned two different KJW pistols and have personally never had a problem, but I baby my mags anyway. There's an easy out for that with a KJW 1911 (at least the 1911a1) which is TM 1911 mags fit even better then the original KJW mags, and there's no questions about TM reliability.

I don't know how much you know about GBB's, so I'll cover fueling them as well. Offical documentation usually states that GBB's run off of Green Gas. But the thing they don't want you to know is Green Gas is just propane, mixed with silicone oil, stored in an unsafe container, and marked up in price by like three or four hundred precent. If you get a GBB that runs off of Green Gas, and they pretty much all do now-a-days, then just get an Airsoft Inovations propane adapter for about $20 (which includes a small bottle of silicone oil) and a can of coleman's propane from Canadian Tire and you're good to go.
Old February 1st, 2013, 22:16   #9
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Heh, Kuro, MP5K's are V3 AEGs.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:19   #10
TurlteRaph

Thanks for the advise and it's never too late as I know little about the mags. I don't even know whether I am getting double of single stack with my purchase.

I was checking out some AEG and realise the FPS is a little weak and cost as much as a Cheaper GBB.

And no, the 1911 is coming from a seller in Canada. I
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:53   #11
ThunderCactus

I'll let you in on a well kept secret of airsoft. FPS doesn't mean shit.
You can buy a $10 spring and change your FPS, but you can get 160ft range EASY on almost any stock gun if you buy an $8 hop rubber for it.
It's significantly more difficult to upgrade a pistol.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 13:10   #12
M.Garcia
M.Garcia
M.Garcia
M.Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I'll let you in on a well kept secret of airsoft. FPS doesn't mean shit.
You can buy a $10 spring and change your FPS, but you can get 160ft range EASY on almost any stock gun if you buy an $8 hop rubber for it.
It's significantly more difficult to upgrade a pistol.
Which hop up robber?
M.Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 14:02   #13
ThunderCactus

guarder black, guarder clear if you're under 350fps, PDI-W, firefly
Old February 2nd, 2013, 17:35   #14
Uberg33k

I have the two in my sig and couldn't be happier. Especially the XDM. Love it!
Uberg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank