Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

I don't run a MOSFET because...

:

Upgrades & Modifications

View Poll Results: I don't run a MOSFET because...
I lack the tools/skills/knowledge to solder 33 18.03%
I don't run high-voltage LiPo batteries and thus do not see a need 42 22.95%
I find the MOSFET wiring intimidating 24 13.11%
MOSFETs are expensive relative to a new set of trigger contacts 27 14.75%
I think MOSFETs can be unreliable 13 7.10%
I DO run MOSFETs in my AEGs 83 45.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 23rd, 2012, 14:25   #1
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

I don't run a MOSFET because...

Poll: You don't run a MOSFET in your AEG because..

Please vote and submit comments below.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 14:48   #2
ShelledPants

I often play in heavy downpour (edit: swamps...). Show me a waterproof mosfet and I will consider buying it.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.

Last edited by ShelledPants; July 23rd, 2012 at 14:52..
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 15:05   #3
enemybrit

We in the Soo build our own fets and offer installation in locals guns. When we get guns in, it is the first thing we suggest to put in as far as performance IF the motor has neodymium magnets (More back EMF from neo motors). If the motor is ferrite, we still suggest it as a reliability aspect to the gun. Our fets come in a small package with a built in poly re-settable fuse. (I am pretty sure its a 34 amp trip, and can change depending on the setup) Our fets are also not hardwired in, making it easy to replace a unit if necessary.
enemybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 15:23   #4
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
I often play in heavy downpour (edit: swamps...). Show me a waterproof mosfet and I will consider buying it.
Plasti-Dip can be used to coat electronics... not only flat-spray cars...
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 19:41   #5
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Ran mine through claybank II's 60mm of rain without any problems.
All you have to do is prevent it from getting wet, wrap the PEQ box it's in with plastic wrap, mount it underneath the feed tray cover of your M249, put it in your stock.

Only issue I have with them is their sensitivity to motor problems (which is more of a motor issue), and their relatively low maximum wattage.
I had to get my 249's triggermaster very graciously custom built by DonP to handle the incredible power of sustained heavy fire on an 11.1v LiPo
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 19:58   #6
jomor

60mm

You played in 60mm of rain??? Thats dedication! and crazy!
jomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 20:51   #7
XZIVR

Trigger response and programming features. I run a gas gun outdoors, and indoors (cqb) I run an AEG with a retarded ROF and the best possible trigger response.
XZIVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 19:07   #8
RaisinBran

I would love a mosfet to go with my 11.1v lipo... Have to hit up a electronics shop and buy the components to make one though...
JG M4A1
RaisinBran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 19:15   #9
Ozone06

Mosfet AKA BLACK MAGIC Thar be Dargens in there!! That and I rock Gas guns now.
Ozone06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 19:19   #10
Danke

It's run in some but the wiring is definitely an issue.

It's not like older AEGs have tons of extra room to run more wires.

When buying new it's something that's marked as a plus when integrated into an AEG, even a "dumb" one.
Old July 27th, 2012, 07:49   #11
cetane

I've got old ver 1 ascu's in my aeg's. One has had some repairs done to the data cable from being pinched going from body to buffer tube. Once they go tits up, hopefully the black talon concepts mosfet/computers are in full production.
cetane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:19   #12
kyle milliken

well I am very good with soldering its just that messing with all those wires is a little ... well it's a little scary. Add the fact that my VFC MK16 is the only gun I own worth putting one in now it's not scary its terrifying. So I find MOSFET wiring intimidating because, one mistake and my baby, the gun I saved 4 months to get is gone.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
kyle milliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 09:02   #13
SuperHog

Quote:
Pull out the GBBR
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:08   #14
m102404
Tys

There is at least one option missing from your list...and a bit of a variation on another.

In some guns there is no space to fit a good mosfet unit. There are the "bug" types that are very small and while they accomplish the main purpose they are lacking in many others.

For example, while I could, I would not want to jury rig a wiring harness to fit such a limited MOSFET into my KA Galil. I'd have a bit of space up in the hand guard...affect cosmetics, etc...

For some it's a trivial matter to swap a trigger unit when it burns out. Also the cost of the trigger unit over the time it takes to burn it (just using the typical batteries available...not some huge brick LiPo) makes the cost of the switch as trivial as BBs.

And...although your switch may never burn out with a MOSFET....for 90% of the guys/guns out there, something else is going to go or they'll be into their mechboxes eventually and replacing a worn switch while other upgrades/maintenance is being done is no big deal.

Am I against MOSFETs? Nope...I have them, have used them, have recommended them for some applications. Do I think that they're a "must have"? Nope...unless you're looking for features that cannot be had without an ECU, in which case you end up with a MOSFET anyways.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:31   #15
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

there are some guns who's trigger contacts are a huge pain in the ass to source or replace. I've observed contacts arcing with as little as a 9.6v 1800 mah nimh. For the cost of 1 trigger/wiring rig you can easily get a basic mosfet that will entirely eliminate this problem from ever happening again. Why wouldn't you do it?

Now if you're talking about computerized units that can give you programmable burst fire, semi auto only, pre cocking or active braking, or cycle completion, or realtime battery monitoring for lipos, then no, not everyone needs or wants that.

If battery space is limited or oddly shaped, getting a computerized unit with battery monitoring will allow you to use lipos to cram into smaller places... provided you can squeeze the components you need into the gun somewhere, somehow.

Again, not for everyone, especially if they have like a standard m4 or g36 with their rather large battery compartments.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications