Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

New G&G Gearbox design (G-Box)

:

General

Old March 10th, 2013, 22:56   #1
DextahBoy

New G&G Gearbox design (G-Box)

Well, since WE has come out with their split gear box similar to the PTW design, seems like G&G jumped onto the band wagon with their version of it. Named the G-Box and details and 2 videos regarding it on youtube during IWA 2013 in Germany, it shows it as a V2 gearbox and 4 different positions (Safe, semi, burst, and full auto), easy disassembly and a micro chip. Also it is easy to dissassemble the internals. (Thinking the gearbox is proprietary....) 2013 IWA SHOW G&G ARMAMENT G_BOX_DEMO - YouTube
DextahBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 23:00   #2
JerryMcGoulBerry

It looks a lot more like the ICS than the WE and PTW
Old March 11th, 2013, 00:17   #3
SuperHog

Looks like he is fiddling and fumbling trying to get the cylinder back in.

The WE Kantana is much sweeter, the cylinder removes easier and the gearbox is still TM compatible for upgrades parts.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 00:35   #4
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

Anyone else notice the middle body pin falling out @ 6:32

I don't like how proprietary this looks, I'd be much more inclined to get a Katana or a DTW.
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 00:42   #5
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzie View Post
Anyone else notice the middle body pin falling out @ 6:32

I don't like how proprietary this looks, I'd be much more inclined to get a Katana or a DTW.
Given the first impression I got from the DTW and Katana I'm more inclined to wait for the A&K PTW clone or the FCC economical line. As for this Gbox I agree with the initial video, here it show a lot of propriety parts and it looks like its a PITA to assemble and disassemble plus my experience with G&G is poor to ridiculous at best so this is one of those new toys I'll avoid.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 07:58   #6
MaciekA

wildcard, G&G generally makes good stuff now. I'm most pleased with their gearbox shells in particular.

I agree with everyone here, this is a lot of proprietary stuff to take in .. I wonder if that microswitch has a MOSFET? (how do they avoid switch bounce?).. The motor grip attachment method is a bit sucky, you're stuck with G&G grips and it will be nearly impossible to do half-shell pinion-bevel alignment (edit: on second thought, maybe it will be easier... hmm).

I'm willing to accept a bevy of proprietary parts and designs, but not if we are to take a step back in solving "stock gun syndrome", i.e. the problem of all stock guns sucking balls, having whining gears and other issues I have to fix out of the box. Making things more rare or expensive or upgrading some features without solving the basic problems we have with Marui gearboxes is two steps forward, one (maybe even two) step(s) back.

That said I'd like to get my hands on one of these to play with the internals.

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:52   #7
Dynamo
Harvester of Noobs' Sorrow

Send a message via MSN to Dynamo
on the closeup of the electronics, seems like i see dual fets on the left side of the assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciekA View Post
wildcard, G&G generally makes good stuff now. I'm most pleased with their gearbox shells in particular.

I agree with everyone here, this is a lot of proprietary stuff to take in .. I wonder if that microswitch has a MOSFET? (how do they avoid switch bounce?).. The motor grip attachment method is a bit sucky, you're stuck with G&G grips and it will be nearly impossible to do half-shell pinion-bevel alignment (edit: on second thought, maybe it will be easier... hmm).

I'm willing to accept a bevy of proprietary parts and designs, but not if we are to take a step back in solving "stock gun syndrome", i.e. the problem of all stock guns sucking balls, having whining gears and other issues I have to fix out of the box. Making things more rare or expensive or upgrading some features without solving the basic problems we have with Marui gearboxes is two steps forward, one (maybe even two) step(s) back.

Don't look at me, I don't know, lol ¯\(°_o)/¯.
Dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:02   #8
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciekA View Post

Oh I know that they make good stuff now but teh big question is what is their final release price and quality going to be? To be profitable in this market they have to be willing to be able to cater the market demand, my concern is are they going to keep it original? or is it goingto be a waterdown product like most of their commercially available stuff in North America? Their stuff in general from what I see in Asia is different from North American release much like King arms, G&P where they have watered down their quality to suit the North american market price. A good example would be King Arms, their HK release AEG mechbox, the internals are beautifully shimmed, great parts etc. but their North American AEG mechbox recently are stuffed with garbage parts, shitty shimming with QC that at best compared to a JG or Cyma, nothing special or care. Now if G&G can go against the grain and get something out in the market with the quality and QC like they did when they were a small parts manufacturer before their decision to flood the masses business plan than it's something to be considered.

Last edited by wildcard; March 11th, 2013 at 09:10..
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 11:59   #9
SuperHog

G&G is a smart company and if they did go proprietary, pretty sure they did their homework. I am sure aftermarket companies will support them, but I doubt Magpul and other grip makers will make an expensive mold for the G&G grip.

On the other hand, Ares has been known of junk proprietary gear boxes, and just recently announce another new proprietary gear box again.

I will buy G&G over Ares any day.
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:37   #10
sab567

No one ask about...where is the wire??? (disassemble motor, a chip...but without disconnect any wire...)
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:44   #11
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
G&G already has nearly wire-less designs, most notably in the Sig series.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 14:10   #12
MonnoncMaxou

I think proprietery parts is only bad if a gun is unrealiable, underperforming and if getting the original replacement parts is hard.

When it comes to pimping out a gun, the good thing here is you are offered guns that are visually and functionnally already equiped with nice rails, a comfortable grips and such.

And as far as internals go, the GT Advanced series already has great performing internals insuring you don't need to mess with anything.
Old March 11th, 2013, 15:43   #13
SuperHog

There is good and bad proprietary.

Good gets adopted by other companies so it becomes a standard.

Well bad stays with that single company. Who copies Ares?
Old March 11th, 2013, 20:49   #14
GBBR
Banned

Send a message via MSN to GBBR Send a message via Skype™ to GBBR
Garbage and Garbage making a new gun?
GBBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 21:31   #15
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBR View Post