G&G PDW99 (P90) Review

:

Reviews

Old January 18th, 2013, 14:45   #1
kylem_8

Send a message via MSN to kylem_8
Thumbs up G&G PDW99 (P90) Review

G&G PDW99 (P90)

Firstly I must say that I have handled and shot the Echo1/ KS P90, Classic Army P90, and Tokyo Marui P90. The build quality of the G&G PDW99 (P90) hands down beats the aformentioned brands. (I have yet to get my hands on a King Arms P90). There is not a single part of this gun that rattles around (even if you furiously shake it).

Another thing to note on this gun is the upper receiver. The machining on it could be improved but I may just be too picky. For anyone who has ever owned the Classic Army P90, they know that it is very front heavy and actually starts to hurt your wrist after any sort of extended gameplay. The G&G PDW99 is nearly balanced with the weight going ever so slightly to the rear(only noticable if you one hand the gun). TM's and Echo 1's/ KS never really had this issue due to either having a plastic receiver or cheap pot metal. It also comes with a steel flash hider and steel cocking lever that is supported by a stiff spring (unlike KS).

The Green Dot Sight is actually disappointing and is the biggest flaw to this gun. It is not nearly bright enough for outdoor use and is off centre to the view window. (This does not really bother me too much as I planned on buying the aftermarket RIS for RDS P90's anyways. But this is just something that cannot be ignored (shame on you G&G, I expected better. However with this said, the RDS on the Classic Army was garbage too...)

The body of the gun feels less plasticy than the other brands listed above too and the texture just feels right. The seems are fairly tight almost everywhere except for a few locations near the butt of the gun. The butt plate is smooth plastic and I would have preferred to see it come with a rubberized finish.

The integrated Laser is a Class 2 <1mw red laser. (I know, I was hoping for the civilian legal <3mw too but that was really just wishful thinking). This laser is fully adjustable though and to be honest, it's actually quite decent in the light (though dont expect to use it outside on a sunny day but inside a building, go for it!)

The magazine seems to almost be a Tokyo Marui. It is missing the one bullet that appears as if it's going into the chamber and the trademarks are not as pronounced to that of a TM. The pictures below show the differences between the Tokyo Marui Magazine (Top), and the G&G Magazine (Bottom).

Now you are probably wondering about what battery will fit into the gun. Very simple, I have put an 11.1v 1100mAh 15C, and a 9.6v Nunchuck style battery successfully into the gun. Please note that a Brick style battery will NOT fit!

We cannot ignore the awesome FPS adjustable gearbox! (this is one of its biggest and best features!) Though I have yet to do a chrono test I have researched that you are looking at an FPS between 330-390. Because this is G&G's TOPTECH line, it obviously comes with a 6.04mm tighbore already installed! However, I have taken that out and installed a PDI 6.01mm 249mm tighbore because in my experience, PDI makes THE BEST innerbarrels on the market (albeit, the most expensive haha)

Overall, this gun is a must have for ANYONE who loves the P90 and demands the highest quality with some very cool features. I know I did not dive into the gearbox but I will leave that for someone else to show you.(Atleast for now).

Last edited by kylem_8; January 19th, 2013 at 12:04..
kylem_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 15:08   #2
itiloh

Damn sexy... Any feeding issues with the mags?
itiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:01   #3
kylem_8

Quote:
Originally Posted by itiloh View Post
Damn sexy... Any feeding issues with the mags?
No not really. maybe 2 per mag. But remember, DO NOT FILL THE MAG COMPLETELY!!! This goes for all brands of P90 mags but if you fill it completely then you will have problems.
Old January 27th, 2013, 10:17   #4
BoleroDan

I've been waiting for this brand P90 for a while. Did you pick up this up at your local shop?

Also great review, I appreciate.
BoleroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 18:17   #5
itiloh

Mine arrived today. The green dot sight is definitely disappointing.
Old February 6th, 2013, 22:18   #6
BoleroDan

Quote:
Mine arrived today. The green dot sight is definitely disappointing.

Does it look like you can detatch the dot sight from the upper? I know there is a piece you can replace most built in RDS on P90s to give a top rail so you can buy your own RDS.
Old February 6th, 2013, 22:35   #7
itiloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoleroDan View Post
Does it look like you can detatch the dot sight from the upper? I know there is a piece you can replace most built in RDS on P90s to give a top rail so you can buy your own RDS.
From looking at the parts of G&G and TM versions, looks like they are the same so you can. Do you know a place where I can get a replacement RDS? I've been looking for the TM RDS (since it seems to be the only RDS that is good enough to be used) but I only found one place that sells it and it's out of stock.
Old February 6th, 2013, 22:42   #8
PrIeSt
takagari

Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
Sorry is it quick change?
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 23:24   #9
jordan7831
will always be Mike Litoris in our hearts

thanks for the review
jordan7831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 00:12   #10
itiloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrIeSt View Post
It looks like only 2 hex screws need to be unscrewed to detach the whole RDS unit. So yes. But I don't wanna try it just yet since I have it pretty well zeroed in right now.
Old February 7th, 2013, 00:42   #11
kylem_8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7831 View Post
thanks for the review
No problem

Quote:
It looks like only 2 hex screws need to be unscrewed to detach the whole RDS unit. So yes. But I don't wanna try it just yet since I have it pretty well zeroed in right now.
That's all it is. it's extremely easy to remove the RDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrIeSt View Post
yes and no. You can completely change the spring if you want but you can also adjust the FPS using that spring by compessing/ decompressing the spring. So with my set up right now, I can adjust somewhere between 365-425FPS with the same spring (thats because i have a PDI 6.01mm tightbore barrel which is why the FPS is higher)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoleroDan View Post
Yes, I have just received the upper rail to replace the shitty RDS.

Quote:
From looking at the parts of G&G and TM versions, looks like they are the same so you can. Do you know a place where I can get a replacement RDS? I've been looking for the TM RDS (since it seems to be the only RDS that is good enough to be used) but I only found one place that sells it and it's out of stock.
Why yes I do. Tokyo Model Company sells them... shipped it was $80.... pretty expensive but well worth it if you actually want to keep all the cool features that G&G offers but have a usable gun for the field.
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:14   #12
THe_Silencer

How are the internals?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
-Founder of Steel City Hamilton Infantry and Tactics
-Certified level 43 Autosniper by Commander Amos
THe_Silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 03:56   #13
kylem_8

Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Silencer View Post
How are the internals?
to be honest... the only internals i have seen with this gun is the awesome metal ball bearing spring guide. But since this is G&G's TOP TECH line, I would imagine that the internals are at the same quality.
Old February 8th, 2013, 13:57   #14
BoleroDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylem_8 View Post
No problem

Yes, I have just received the upper rail to replace the shitty RDS.

Awesome. Do you mind saying where you picked up the piece?

Thanks!
Old February 8th, 2013, 16:32   #15
thatdarnwolf

Thanks for the review. I've gotten my hands on one to take a look at, and my feelings on it were pretty much spot on with your summary. The biggest uncertainty for me was having never handled any other manufacturer's models, I had no comparison to place it against.
thatdarnwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews