Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Mini Milling Machine

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old November 19th, 2013, 17:31   #1
Jamroxorz
Jamroz

Mini Milling Machine

Hey so I'm interested in a small milling machine so I can do simple projects at home for pieces or mods I need. Not looking for something super expensive, under 300$ if possible. I've found this: http://bit.ly/1dULzCV on eBay, but I'm not sure how reliable it would be. Does anybody have one, or experience with one, or any mini milling machines? Any recommendations? Any places where I can look at some or buy some in Toronto. Thanks a lot!
Jamroxorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 17:55   #2
GBBR
Banned

Send a message via MSN to GBBR Send a message via Skype™ to GBBR
Ask Qlong. I think hes making minigun weilding robots right now.
GBBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 17:55   #3
Kos-Mos

Well, that would make 1" parts at most, and the precision is probably not even close to 0.02mm.

There was a website that sold 500$ CNCs... can't find it anymore.
Apparently they where good, in the 0.0002" range.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 18:15   #4
Jamroxorz
Jamroz

I won't need something super dead on, nor programmable. But for sure to work with something bigger than 1" haha
Old November 19th, 2013, 18:43   #5
faithless

Keep your eyes on kijiji/craiglist on used milling machine.

Depends on the material you gonna mill, a drill press with a table may do you good, considering budget is a problem and you do not need it to be programmable.
faithless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 18:45   #6
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

The best thing to make with a small milling machine, is better parts for your small milling machine.
They're all shitty, just varying degrees of flimsy.
Ideally you want one with sturdy single casting construction and some sort of waylube system
If it has too many bolted on components keeping it together, it'll be really flimsy
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 18:47   #7
Jamroxorz
Jamroz

actually did buy a master craft drill press for 100$. But I'd need the adjustable table so I can at least measure the movement on 3 axis. And are drill presses not really designed for vertical pressure like a mill would be?
Old November 19th, 2013, 18:53   #8
faithless

I am not an experienced miller, but X and Y movement on a drill press can easily damage the chuck, motor, even the column. Also the spindle simply does not have enough force for the milling action.

When I said use a drill press as a mill machine, is more like, drill, move the piece, drill, repeat.
Old November 19th, 2013, 19:05   #9
Jamroxorz
Jamroz

I was thinking that too initially, but I was hoping for any extra 200$ I can get something more precise and convenient.
Old November 19th, 2013, 19:24   #10
SuperHog

For $200, it's a toy. For $500 it is a hobbyist machine, still a toy. Doubt it can hold 0.0002 repeatability.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 19:33   #11
Jamroxorz
Jamroz

I think even something that can hold 0.02 would be fine. I much as if like to, I don't have 5k to drop on something more intense right now.
Old November 19th, 2013, 19:40   #12
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless View Post
I am not an experienced miller, but X and Y movement on a drill press can easily damage the chuck, motor, even the column. Also the spindle simply does not have enough force for the milling action.

When I said use a drill press as a mill machine, is more like, drill, move the piece, drill, repeat.
I actually fix machines for a living
It actually doesn't matter for the sizes he's working with as long as he's milling soft non-ferrous alloys. As a cheap solution, a drill press works just fine. I've done plenty of light milling in aluminum on drill presses.

What is a light milling machine but a slightly reinforced drill press with a 2 axis table anyway lol

Even a jacobs chuck is okay for light duty milling, not recommended, but I doubt the belt driven motor could supply enough torque to break the end mill loose in the chuck.

The only thing you'll really be missing from an actual milling machine is precise Z axis travel. And unless you're looking at an $800 cross slide vise, you may have real crap tolerances and slop. The actual head of a milling machine is not worth a whole heck of a lot more than a drill press, it's the table that makes up the rest of the price.
It's around $1500 for a decent bench top light duty mill, $700 for a decent drill press with a cheap cross slide vice
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 20:13   #13
faithless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I actually fix machines for a living
It actually doesn't matter for the sizes he's working with as long as he's milling soft non-ferrous alloys. As a cheap solution, a drill press works just fine. I've done plenty of light milling in aluminum on drill presses.

What is a light milling machine but a slightly reinforced drill press with a 2 axis table anyway lol

Even a jacobs chuck is okay for light duty milling, not recommended, but I doubt the belt driven motor could supply enough torque to break the end mill loose in the chuck.

The only thing you'll really be missing from an actual milling machine is precise Z axis travel. And unless you're looking at an $800 cross slide vise, you may have real crap tolerances and slop. The actual head of a milling machine is not worth a whole heck of a lot more than a drill press, it's the table that makes up the rest of the price.
It's around $1500 for a decent bench top light duty mill, $700 for a decent drill press with a cheap cross slide vice
Great information!! Currently I only have a cheap drill press at home for some simple work. Reply on machines at work and friend's place to do some work on metal parts or so.

I found no problem milling HDPE on the drill with a good vise table. But I am too afraid to mill anything hard (like aluminum or pot metal) using the drill. Maybe I should give it a shot. If I break the drill, just another excuse to buy a mill machine lol.
Old November 19th, 2013, 20:19   #14
Jamroxorz
Jamroz

So basically I shouldn't waste 300$ and just wait to get a good cross slide and a decent drill press? I'm not too worried about the Z I guess. The drill press usually has a lock function for some measurement for the Z. What should I be looking for in the drill press and vice?
Old November 20th, 2013, 06:24   #15
m102404
Tys

I bought a Sherline from Craigslist for $600. Mill, head spacer, chucks/collets, some other bits. I had/made some other bits for it, but it's ok for small parts. Not bad for the price of it...and I had a tiny shop so small machines were a must.

Some of the busybee stuff is ok for rough things, especially if you're really only doing the odd part and don't need super tight tolerances.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications