Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

boogie regulator defog ideas

:

Gear Discussion

Old June 11th, 2013, 16:24   #16
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
Its not really advisable to modify the lens itself in any way as even with boring the holes larger you weaken the overall strength of the lens. Just sayin'.
Old June 12th, 2013, 15:53   #17
Trev140_0

I rigged up a 7.4 nunchuck battery with 2 fans to my ESS....that is the way to go, and I can assure you, no way you will run out of power.

The cord is an old charge cord from a cell phone.

Some heat shring tubing, some solder, zip ties and boom.... you have AC

"....Your life is ending one minute at a time..."

Trev140_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 16:22   #18
Zack The Ripper

^Yeah, but I can hear you laying in the grass with those things on. :-P
Old June 12th, 2013, 16:44   #19
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev140_0 View Post
I rigged up a 7.4 nunchuck battery with 2 fans to my ESS....that is the way to go, and I can assure you, no way you will run out of power.

The cord is an old charge cord from a cell phone.

Some heat shring tubing, some solder, zip ties and boom.... you have AC
Sounds a bit too nooblord'esq for most people to hack about with
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 17:21   #20
Trev140_0

....I am cool and dry as you poke fun......

Old June 12th, 2013, 17:35   #21
Trev140_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackTheRipperC View Post
^Yeah, but I can hear you laying in the grass with those things on. :-P

Then you must have heard me pulling the trigger when I shot you with my pistol too. Laying in the grass.

Cause I could see your hand go up clear as a bell when you called hit. Sans fog.

bahahaha.

Old June 12th, 2013, 21:15   #22
Zack The Ripper

Lol I didn't hear you, I saw you. That was a strategic decision. You had less cover than my victim. You did get mercied.. :-P
Old June 12th, 2013, 21:22   #23
Trev140_0

Face it. My fans confused you.

You are jealous. You saw how ridiculously comfy I was, with my crystal clear vision, and did not know what to do.

You were looking at me through your sweaty goggles and could not see the target till the high polished bb was on the way.....

Old June 13th, 2013, 11:01   #24
MADDOG

There is a reason I wear my paintball JT elite with a thermal lens (has to be dual pane thermal not the single pane it originally comes with), even when paintball googles are not required, they never fog ever. It is better to be able to see than look cool

Boogie regulators were always meant to be used in high movement/wind environment where air circulates through the front holes (Para jump, open hatch, motorcycle ride, etc.) Without that you are going to have problems, it appears they were not meant or designed to be wear all day protection.

Cry Havoc, Let slip the Dogs of War!

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Last edited by MADDOG; June 13th, 2013 at 11:34..
MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:20   #25
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

I have found that removing some of the closed cell foam around the edges of the lens so as to have one hole about 2 cm wide on each side above and below allows enough air into the lens to prevent fogging.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:48   #26
Trev140_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
There is a reason I wear my paintball JT elite with a thermal lens (has to be dual pane thermal not the single pane it originally comes with), even when paintball googles are not required, they never fog ever. It is better to be able to see than look cool

Boogie regulators were always meant to be used in high movement/wind environment where air circulates through the front holes (Para jump, open hatch, motorcycle ride, etc.) Without that you are going to have problems, it appears they were not meant or designed to be wear all day protection.
I don't understand how the dual pane will take care of the fogging. Is the fog (Condensation) created by the heat and steam coming off your face forming on the inside of the lenses?

Does the second pane somehow effect the temp variance messing with the dew point?

Old June 13th, 2013, 12:16   #27
m102404
Tys

Thermal lenses create "dead" air space that moderates the air temperature differences between one face of the lense and the other. For a single pane, as the lense chills from the external side the interior side cools the same and water in the humid vapour between your face and the lense condenses/collects on the lense creating the fog. With a thermal lense the dead air space allows for a more moderate temperature difference between the inside/outside faces of the interior lense...and hopefully with enough ventilation...fogging is avoided. It doesn't change physics...it just delays/suppresses the environmental conditions.

If the gas between the lenses was "dry" and inert (like a window for a house) then regardless of how hot the interior lense was vs. how cold the exterior lense was you would prevent the build up of fogging.

Re. water vapour from eyes/face/skin...that's still being expirated and thermal lenses don't change that...but keeping the lense temperature difference close enough is the key.

In the end it comes down to ventilation. Airflow is everything. If you stand around long enough so you cool down and allow your skin to dry off...then you're likely to fog very little. If you run around like crazy in humid weather and then drop down in the shade and drape a shemagh over your head/lenses to cut off airflow then no amounts of fans/anti-fog/etc...will prevent fogging. Obviously those are ideals to make a point and not practical in game play.

And...some weirdo bastards never seem to sweat enough from their eyes/face to fog regardless of what they're using.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:39   #28
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
And...some weirdo bastards never seem to sweat enough from their eyes/face to fog regardless of what they're using.
I hate those guys! Usually one of the reasons why I need to flip to full auto to try and keep up with them on the run.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 14:36   #29
MADDOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
Thermal lenses create "dead" air space that moderates the air temperature differences between one face of the lense and the other. For a single pane, as the lense chills from the external side the interior side cools the same and water in the humid vapour between your face and the lense condenses/collects on the lense creating the fog. With a thermal lense the dead air space allows for a more moderate temperature difference between the inside/outside faces of the interior lense...and hopefully with enough ventilation...fogging is avoided. It doesn't change physics...it just delays/suppresses the environmental conditions.

If the gas between the lenses was "dry" and inert (like a window for a house) then regardless of how hot the interior lense was vs. how cold the exterior lense was you would prevent the build up of fogging.

Re. water vapour from eyes/face/skin...that's still being expirated and thermal lenses don't change that...but keeping the lense temperature difference close enough is the key.

In the end it comes down to ventilation. Airflow is everything. If you stand around long enough so you cool down and allow your skin to dry off...then you're likely to fog very little. If you run around like crazy in humid weather and then drop down in the shade and drape a shemagh over your head/lenses to cut off airflow then no amounts of fans/anti-fog/etc...will prevent fogging. Obviously those are ideals to make a point and not practical in game play.

The eye foam is also sealed and thin and does not absorb water causing condensation like other JT goggles. The sweat just drips down the face instead of staying in the goggle zone. The elites are also lower profile but only 180 degree view. If it was really humid you can add a fan but I have not used one in the last 5 years.

Also it helps to wear a bandanna and have a bald head for ventilation

Cry Havoc, Let slip the Dogs of War!

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 01:49   #30
J-Man19

going to try using this on my glasses and see how it works out. works great on my car windshield.

http://www.rainx.com/product/glass-a.../#.UdZeCvk3uSo
J-Man19 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion