Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Starter lmg

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old September 18th, 2015, 23:55   #1
Chairs

Starter lmg

Hey guys have played a few games and been thinking about playing more of a support role (depending on game types) I usually hang back more and try to cover others. So been thinking of picking up a LMG. Any recomendations? I'm not terribly picky to model (m249, rpk, m60, mg36 ect) or am I better off picking up one of those self winding drum mags for my m4 aeg? I tried highcaps but always run out of bbs at worst times. The fields I play on aren't terribly huge and mostly thick bush.
Chairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 00:07   #2
naminator

RPK for Chechen factor. It is a bit long and unwieldy though.

M249 for portability.

MG36 = converted G36 (not the best looking LMG in my eyes)

M60 OR PKM for MAN POINTS. Seriously. They are massive and sweet looking.
Were you maybe expecting 1+1 = donut?
naminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 00:17   #3
Chairs

Ya kinda leaning to m249 due to shorter length. Bit easier to work with in the brush. And there a sale on a&k guns on a canadian site.
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:03   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Has anyone in sask ever heard of semi-auto? lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 12:20   #5
Chairs

Heard of it, sometimes even use it lol but just found most of time gotta burst fire to try and get the bbs through the grass or brush. Also I just really like LMGs haha.
Old September 19th, 2015, 15:10   #6
BrendanL

I had a cyma RPK for a few years a loved it. Was cheap, decent gearbox, and used the electronic winding drum mag. It was long but I managed it, I also changed the spring to a lighter one, think it was a m90 spring. It shot around 360fps and still reached out and touched people. So for around $300 I had the rpk, drum mag and lighter spring, good budjet route to go if money is tight.
BrendanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 17:43   #7
Kingsix

LCT RPK > CYMA/Echo 1 RPK No potmetal Bipod.

V3 Gearbox (Easy to work on)
Semi auto for when you want to conserve ammo
Not much longer than a M16
Cool Eastern Bloc Look
Old September 19th, 2015, 18:31   #8
Wilkie

Nothing noobier than an AR with a drum magazine. Even seeing a G36 with a Cmag being called an MG36 bugs me, but not as much.

If money isn't an option I'd recommend hunting down a G&P 249.

One step down for a SAW I'd recommend a CA 249, and immediately upgrade to a MAG brand mesh drum. The A&K is there as well, which is noticeably lighter if that appeals to you. Both options are pounds lighter than the G&P, real thing.

I recently acquired an A&K PKM which I'm liking a lot. It's cumbersom do to it's length, but like the real thing unloaded is lighter than a 249, even though it's a Medium machine gun as apposed to a light machine gun. The drum it comes with is also more reliable because of it's vertical feeding nature, similar to the G&P 249
Wilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 19:26   #9
Chairs

What's the level of a availability of parts for the g&p, ca and a&k m249? Been doing some reading and sounds like rpk just accept AK parts that are fairly common.
Old September 19th, 2015, 19:47   #10
naminator

Better question is what is your budget.

If you are broke, need mags, battery and gun, your best option is the RPK (or MG36 but nobody likes those)

If you have double the budget of the RPK, get the 249.

If you ave double the budget of the 249, get a M60/SUPER HIGH END RPK/PKM/MG34 (by far one of the coolest LMG's in my opinion).
Old September 19th, 2015, 20:16   #11
Chairs

Lol but I thought mg36 looked cool and unique, guess I'm the minority here. As for a budget I'm not too worried. Just means have to save up a bit more or wait a little longer for a much better rifle.
plus Winter is going to be here soon so don't think I'm going to be playing too much. But I am liking rpk idea since be bit lighter and can probably pick it up earlier depending on availability.
Old September 19th, 2015, 20:38   #12
naminator

Unless you get an RPK that is metal and stamped steel, which is the best.
Old September 19th, 2015, 22:11   #13
Wilkie

The MG36 is cool, but doesn't actually exist in airsoft form. The real thing is much much more than a G36 with a C-mag. There's also the fact that only a handful of these weapons actually exist in the real world, contrary to what video games will tell you
Wilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 00:08   #14
XON50

Not to hijack thread or anything as I'm looking into a LMG for the first time as well, but are there any ris kits for the A&k MK43?
Old September 20th, 2015, 00:52   #15
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

An MG36 is about as much of a full time LMG as an RPK or M27 IAR (the HK416 one).
IMO it's not allowed to have a box mag or highcap unless it's belt-fed and has a quick change barrel.
In RS terms, there's a difference between a rifle that's just meant to put a bit of full auto down range, and a rifle that's designed to hammer out multiple 200 rounds belts in a single engagement.

Because the lines on this are REAL fuzzy, even by the RS nomenclature. If the RPK and MG36's are LMG's for the purpose of having a highcap, then so are the M1918 BAR, INSAS, L86, SAR21, etc.
All mag fed rifles capable of full auto that are designated as being LMGs, if you didn't get the familiarity there. Also none of which are belt fed, and I'm not entirely sure if any of them have quick change barrels.

For the purpose of airsoft, none of it matters. But if you want realism, then it's something to think about.
That and the LMG36 is my pet peeve since it was never actually a full fledged service LMG. It was literally the M27 IAR to the G36 line. Just a G36 with a bit heavier barrel meant to maintain a bit more full auto.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion