Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Lipo Problem

:

Doctor's Corner

Old October 4th, 2011, 00:45   #1
Mandalore

Lipo Problem

I recently ordered this lipo http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/bb-batter...m-battery.html I have a tenergy smart charger, but the problem is I've been charging it for almost 3 hours and nothing's been happening. Is it supposed to take that long? The light on the charger was flashing red the whole time, which in the manual said that when the light is red it's charging. Not really sure what's going on as it's my first lipo. Am I doing something wrong? I even got one of these guys http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=1841 but when I plugged it in when I first got it it didn't read anything.

Maybe I'm getting a little impatient as I'm really tired and I need it before the weekend.
KWA HK45
VFC SCAR-L
G&P VLTOR M4
KJW Hi Capa

Last edited by Mandalore; October 4th, 2011 at 00:54..
Mandalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 01:01   #2
XZIVR

It should NOT take 3 hours to charge, especially the first charge since it's shipped at a half charge. My guess is it's dead or there's a bad connection. Do you have a multimeter? If so, check the cell voltage. If not, go buy one you cheapass, you can get them for like $10 and they are a good tool to have..
XZIVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 05:20   #3
reaper416

Did you plug in all the connectors.For example the white connector with the three other coloured wires.If i do not plug these wires in also,my charger will say BATT break and will not charge the battery.I think the white connector is a balance port.
Old October 4th, 2011, 08:06   #4
Adamlxlx

Smart chargers are garbage for lipo. Get a delta peak detection lipo charger/balancer. It will give you many charging options IE: lipo charge, lipo balance, lipo storage etc....
It should not take that long unless you are charging it at like 0.1amp. What rate are you charging it at? How many amps?
Adamlxlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 09:33   #5
m102404
Tys

1. ALWAYS Balance Charge LiPo batteries. To not do so is foolhardy and inviting trouble.

2. Learn how to use your charger. Hobby Shops will run you through one if you're buying from them. If you bought on-line and aren't getting that help from whomever you bought it from (that tells you something about the seller) then either research the crap out of it until you figure things out....or find a buddy at the next game to show you what to do.

3. The LiPo low voltage alarm will only be triggered when the cells drop below 3.0V. ASSUMING that your pack is not completely dead (they rarely ever are), if it's not setting off the alarm all that tells you is that there's some charge over 3v/cell. They could be 3.1/3.1/3.1. Look for a meter (looks similar to the alarm you bought) that displays the individual cell voltage and the total pack voltage.

4. If you're not sure if the pack is dead-dead or not...take it to someone who knows what they're doing and get them to charge it for you. Ask the seller you're buying from if they check/charge the battery before it goes out to you.

Best of luck
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 11:41   #6
Azathoth

I see this over and over and over again.

Airsoft branded batteries and chargers are almost always complete garbage & overpriced. Go to a RC/Hobby store and buy those items from those people and ask TYS mensionted above they will run you down on the how to's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 15:08   #7
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

^ +1
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 17:27   #8
Adamlxlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
I see this over and over and over again.

Airsoft branded batteries and chargers are almost always complete garbage & overpriced. Go to a RC/Hobby store and buy those items from those people and ask TYS mensionted above they will run you down on the how to's.
Exactly what I did. +1!
Adamlxlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 19:16   #9
Mandalore

Yeah it's gotta be the charger. Somehow I didn't think I should've bought it, but live and learn. Hate losing money over it though. Thanks for the tips guys!
KWA HK45
VFC SCAR-L
G&P VLTOR M4
KJW Hi Capa
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:52   #10
Jugglez

Location: Swimming in a pool of Xpresspost receipts.... Toronto - 400/401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore View Post
I recently ordered this lipo http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/bb-batter...m-battery.html I have a tenergy smart charger, but the problem is I've been charging it for almost 3 hours and nothing's been happening. Is it supposed to take that long? The light on the charger was flashing red the whole time, which in the manual said that when the light is red it's charging. Not really sure what's going on as it's my first lipo. Am I doing something wrong? I even got one of these guys http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=1841 but when I plugged it in when I first got it it didn't read anything.

Maybe I'm getting a little impatient as I'm really tired and I need it before the weekend.

Flashing red means the charger has detected a problem with the battery. Either 1) voltage of one or more cells is way below threshold 2) Reverse polarity 3) a short in the wiring

It will not proceed with the charge cycle if any of the above is detected . So the charger is doing it's job. (When charging it will show a solid red light, no flashing)

The problem here is the battery, since there is no response from the lipo alarm, there is likely a short somewhere in the pack or the cells are just drained way too far.

A better charger may be able to revive the pack if it is a low voltage problem, or it may cause it to inflate like a balloon LOL

Your best solution is to get a new battery.
Old October 6th, 2011, 14:14   #11
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Quote:

don't risk it man get a new battery, I almost burned a BNIB LiPo batteries while charging it for the first time, it balloned up to a size smaller than a golf ball before I discover it I quickly tossed teh whole thing out of teh house charger and all just in case it may explode.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 19:59   #12
Mandalore

I'm not sure if this was a good idea or not, but I did this before reading those last two posts. I charged it with another charger, and it did take awhile but eventually it said it was done charging. I plugged it into my MP5 and it cycled the gun... I still wonder if I should consider getting a different one just in case?
KWA HK45
VFC SCAR-L
G&P VLTOR M4
KJW Hi Capa
Old October 6th, 2011, 20:13   #13
Azathoth

What you just did is the ghetto way of bringing a lipo pack back to life.

Not my decision to keep or toss, but I would have thrown the battery out or asked for a refund long ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 10:45   #14
CJay

Quote:
I'm not sure if this was a good idea or not, but I did this before reading those last two posts. I charged it with another charger, and it did take awhile but eventually it said it was done charging. I plugged it into my MP5 and it cycled the gun... I still wonder if I should consider getting a different one just in case?
Phenomenally bad idea lol. Although it worked...this time. Honestly bro ur better going and buying a decent pack. I know the Hyperion batteries for rc cars are superb and u can pick up an 11.1v 25c 5000mAh that'll happily fit an m16 stock for around 100 bucks. Well worth it provides u have a good charger to manage the battery.
Old October 15th, 2011, 15:28   #15
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

FYI bought the 11.1v 20C 4900mah LiPo for my M249 for just $50 off hobbyking
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner