Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

FN 5-7 Cybergun vs Tokyo Marui

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old August 27th, 2016, 13:34   #1
Estrela

FN 5-7 Cybergun vs Tokyo Marui

After doing research I have seen basically two choices for a 5-7. I like the 5-7 because i have big hands and it looks good for that.

The TM seems to have issues based on a bunch of reviews and i havent found much feedback on cybergun long term reliability.

If someone has experience with either or and could share then please do so!

Thanks! :duke:
Estrela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 13:54   #2
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

there's actually some pretty good factory parts support for the cybergun right now, several vendors have the parts that usually have issues. Both are going to have their quirks. Depending on who you know, you can get factory parts from TM as well from japan, but you need someone that lives there and speaks japanese and has a japanese bank account. The only thing you'd have issues getting at that point is the frame, and there's nothing you can do about that.

Don't buy a TM 5-7 used, not worth the trouble. For the price that they come landed in canada, you have to really want it and it's share of issues, but that's not to say the cybergun won't have it's own share either. Neither are compatible with each other.
Old August 27th, 2016, 17:49   #3
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Newer cybergun 57 I heard was decent, but I would skip the gun all together... Better off with a main stream pistol imo.

1911, glock etc.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 20:10   #4
Canucklehead

I have a "Cybergun" 5-7 (OEM is Marushin BTW) that I'm trying to offload. It's a great gun IMO, because it manages to use CO2 effectively. Since it's a Japanese manufacturer, it's also below 1J, meaning that the gas efficiency is incredible when combined with the polymer slide. Normally I'd consider a polymer slide a negative, but the material they've used has enough flexibility to roll with the impact rather than crack. I've found that the accuracy and consistency is pretty standard, but what makes the functionality is that you get about 120 BBs per CO2 bottle, meaning I've never had to reload CO2 during the day.

I will say I have little experience with TM ones, firing them seems okay, the slide action felt more sluggish to me in comparison, but the guy who let me fire it may not have entirely filled it.

Anyway, It's a gun I'd recommend if you want something different that's still reliable, but I will admit that supporting it can be more difficult than a more popular gun. PM me if you're interested in mine used, or if not Toronto Airsoft is your best bet if you're in Toronto.
Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 20:42   #5
Sputmilk

From my own research the TM should probably be avoided. There are loads of problems with it. There are also fixes for those problems, but they are more delaying the inevitable failure of plenty of different parts. It's probably the worst designed TM pistol other than the original M9. The slide cracks even when using 134A, very poor aftermarket support(especially now that it's a bit older, and some aftermarket parts like the Guarder frame are worse than stock), magazines can fall out eventually and so can the slide/barrel. If you're dead set on a TM version buy used but keep in mind it will need work.

As for the Cybergun: I hear it's okay. No comparisons between the TM and this one out there right now(that I can find, anyway). I personally wouldn't get it because it's a Co2 powered plastic pistol - that can't be good down the line.

YMMV. I hear some people say the TM has no problems, and I hear others say the Cybergun also has no problems.
Sputmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 21:34   #6
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

If you have big hands, get an FNX-45. They have amazing reviews.
Also stay away from both 5-7s.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 21:53   #7
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

USP is also good for people with big hands, the grip is super thick/wide. I love my tm 5-7 but it really isn't worth the upkeep costs and eventual frame failure. Even with all the reliability mods you will go through hopup units until the valve striker fails or the frame that holds the striker/hammer assembly fails.

In Japan it's a 100$ gun and parts are available direct from TM so you can keep it running indefinitely, which is why nobody cared to design any true upgrades that addressed these issues. A new frame if you live in japan is under 30 bucks.
Old August 28th, 2016, 02:42   #8
DC_ACU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
If you have big hands, get an FNX-45. They have amazing reviews.
Also stay away from both 5-7s.
Seconded, I have one. It's reliable as hell and pretty damn awesome to hold.
DC_ACU is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion