Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Training Tips

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old July 20th, 2009, 15:09   #1
Oborous

Training Tips

Looking for some training tips, things that people have found to make their training more convienent... not neccesarily easier (TRAIN HARD!!) but that you can train more often, that you can setup, tear down, and learn something.
Oborous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 15:22   #2
ShelledPants

Watch and practice Magpul Dynamics. Better yet, attend real steal training seminars and practicals.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 15:53   #3
Cushak

Send a message via MSN to Cushak
Are you looking for team training, or individual training?
Cushak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 19:20   #4
Malice Army

practice reloading, practice off handed shooting, and practice shooting from positions other than standing and kneeling. Learn to "slice the pie", leaning out from cover to "snap shoot". Try this by practicing in front of a mirror, lean from the side of the mirror into the mirror like it was cover, you can now inspect your profile : "is my lead elbow tucked in, or sticking out" , "am I coming out on target ready to shoot" , "am I showing more target than necessary to shoot?" then practice reloading again, full kit : eject spent mag, put it away, dig out a new one etc.
Malice Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 19:36   #5
Goge

Send a message via MSN to Goge
quick target acquisition, you can do between scrims, walking to scrim location, in you basement... anywhere, and the more you do it the more you train muscle memory.

Look around for something to use as a target; pole, treebranch litter on the ground, anything. As quick as you can move the weapon from rest to sighted on a target and mock pull the trigger. Bring the gun back down and find something else and rince and repeat.

It won't be as easy as it seems. The goal is to be able to go from rest to dead on accurate in a split second.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 20:15   #6
Malice Army

keep in mind "Slow is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast"
Malice Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 13:43   #7
Azathoth

Don't waste your time practicing speed reloads work on the tactical and admin reload.

I Feel very strongly that learning to shoot with your off hand is going to train in bad habits for real steel shooting. The benefit gained from drilling this is not going to pay off anywhere near as drilling PROPER shooting technique with your main hand. 100% of players that I see who move to offhand shooting are utilizing such abhorrent real steel shooting technique, or taking 20x longer to line up targets and shoot. Shoot with your primary side, you won't be wasting time adjusting site, stance, and being a target, instead you'll be putting effective fire down range. The other thing I see is players choosing to shoot with the offhand when they can change their shooting position and be more effective.

I feel very strongly that if you are going to drill target acquisition, and snap shooting you should pull the trigger on the target otherwise do you really know that you are using your optic and sites correctly? Are you properly lined up against your rifle stock?

You should properly use your optic/ sights if you have any interest or intent on doing any real steel shooting

If you want to train in a group go play rainbow 6 or Armed Asssault 2. ArmA2 is by far the most realistic military simulator, out their, borderline unplayable but the best.

Train, like way you will fight, Fight the way that you trained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory

Last edited by Azathoth; July 23rd, 2009 at 13:48..
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 13:57   #8
Mitchell12
vision impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
Don't waste your time practicing speed reloads work on the tactical and admin reload.

I Feel very strongly that learning to shoot with your off hand is going to train in bad habits for real steel shooting. The benefit gained from drilling this is not going to pay off anywhere near as drilling PROPER shooting technique with your main hand. 100% of players that I see who move to offhand shooting are utilizing such abhorrent real steel shooting technique, or taking 20x longer to line up targets and shoot. Shoot with your primary side, you won't be wasting time adjusting site, stance, and being a target, instead you'll be putting effective fire down range. The other thing I see is players choosing to shoot with the offhand when they can change their shooting position and be more effective.

I feel very strongly that if you are going to drill target acquisition, and snap shooting you should pull the trigger on the target otherwise do you really know that you are using your optic and sites correctly? Are you properly lined up against your rifle stock?

You should properly use your optic/ sights if you have any interest or intent on doing any real steel shooting

If you want to train in a group go play rainbow 6 or Armed Asssault 2. ArmA2 is by far the most realistic military simulator, out their, borderline unplayable but the best.

Train, like way you will fight, Fight the way that you trained.
I dunno about that, I always switch to off handed shooting for the corners of buildings and such. I expose much less of myself when doing so too and with the practice I can put effective fire on target. Just ask anyone who's been on the other team
Mitchell12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 14:16   #9
Azathoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell12 View Post
I dunno about that, I always switch to off handed shooting for the corners of buildings and such. I expose much less of myself when doing so too and with the practice I can put effective fire on target. Just ask anyone who's been on the other team
Would it have been faster or more effectiveto switching to offhand or to go urban prone, or asian squat, present a non typical profile to your opponent? Would it have been better to simply present a larger target profile take out the target faster, and move to a different shooting position.

Body type and playstyle are huge factors when deciding what is the "best" position to take
Quote:
---
Old July 23rd, 2009, 14:30   #10
Mitchell12
vision impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
Would it have been faster or more effectiveto switching to offhand or to go urban prone, or asian squat, present a non typical profile to your opponent? Would it have been better to simply present a larger target profile take out the target faster, and move to a different shooting position.

Body type and playstyle are huge factors when deciding what is the "best" position to take
Urban prone is just a no-no for airsoft... Hop-up becomes hop-over, that and you may have to engage OVER bushes and such and urban prone doesn't work there, Not to mention how exposed you leave yourself should an enemy come from an unexpected direction. And speed wasn't really a necessity as the enemy was guarding so he was relativley stationary, Minimal movement,noise and exposure were the key elements.

I have good shooting stance and technique with my off hand but I have much better technique with my good hand. Saying practicing off handed shooting is pointless isn't right. It has it's purposes and uses and SHOULD be practiced as should off handed reloading. Shooting with the primary hand should be the primary goal but that doesn't mean anything else isn't useful.

Last edited by Mitchell12; July 23rd, 2009 at 14:32..
Mitchell12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 14:35   #11
m102404
Tys

Can you guys point me to a good visual demonstration (written with pics is ok) of clearing a right hand corner if I'm alone (strong hand = right hand)?

I've been switching hands/sides with both carbine and pistol to whichever side leaves less of my side/body/head/etc....exposed. I find it hard to imagine retaining good cover while "forcing" stong side shooting.

Sorry, if I'm drifting off topic, please PM.

Thanks,

Tys
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 14:41   #12
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
I switch to my left hand (weak side) around right corners. Though, I try to use my left hand as much as possible in airsoft, never hurts to force yourself to be ambidextrous with a weapon when it's not life or death (in airsoft) for when you have to in real combat (only applicable for armed forces members)
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 14:44   #13
pugs144

Don't forget guys, physical fitness is also important . Working those offhand shooting stances is tough without good core strength.
pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 15:45   #14
Azathoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell12 View Post
Urban prone is just a no-no for airsoft... Hop-up becomes hop-over, that and you may have to engage OVER bushes and such and urban prone doesn't work there, Not to mention how exposed you leave yourself should an enemy come from an unexpected direction. And speed wasn't really a necessity as the enemy was guarding so he was relativley stationary, Minimal movement,noise and exposure were the key elements.

I have good shooting stance and technique with my off hand but I have much better technique with my good hand. Saying practicing off handed shooting is pointless isn't right. It has it's purposes and uses and SHOULD be practiced as should off handed reloading. Shooting with the primary hand should be the primary goal but that doesn't mean anything else isn't useful.
I think you misunderstand or i wasnt clear, or poor english. The key is that the time spent training off handed shooting can be better spent (IMO) on more strong side shooting and drills.

You can still urban prone a corner, you just need to adjust the bore of your gun or your weapon position to deal with the hopup. In the local field that is the is the most built up over here, i dial off my hopup as the engagement ranges are well <50ft and hopup really isnt needed.

Why practice off handed reload? This isnt real steel, I am not going to be wounded in the arm and have to reload off hand. I can never remember in 18 years reloading with the off hand.

For a brief time i shot off hand when corning right side obstacles, now i just slice the pie or shoulder the weapon on the weak shoulder but with primary hand on the trigger.
Quote:
---
Old July 23rd, 2009, 17:04   #15
Wilson

Don't hesitate. Point towards enemy.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures