Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

The woes of one who tried to import the wrong way.

:

General

Closed Thread

Old November 17th, 2013, 11:10   #1
CriticalBill

Unhappy The woes of one who tried to import the wrong way.

Just wanted to tell my personal experience with trying to import a $400 KWA M14A1 GBB rifle with separate 3-9x sniper scope. I purchased it in Hong Kong 2 days ago. It may end okay, but I'm very nervous right now.
In Hong Kong, I told Air Canada rep what I had and they called HK airport security to inspect. HK security got wide-eyed and called HK military to inspect. Everyone was really cool and interested in the gun and the sport. Surrounded by guys with real MP5's was both awesome and a little nervous. Anyway, they had no issues with it, but I had to pay US$20 to have it packed by Hong Kong airport packing services. Probably better off doing this anyway so less likely some baggage inspector will steal anything.
So on the plane to Pearson Airport, YYZ, in Toronto now.
I mark on the customs document that I have a firearm, and tell CBSA what I bought. An 'uncontrolled firearm' as per section 5 of the memorandum.
The guy marked info on the customs card and I knew I would be sent to extra security after picking up my luggage. Which is what happened.
After a wait I got called to two CBSA agents (one of which was being trained). The less newbie one was very concerned that it did not have red safety cap and no clear parts. I think I would have been okay off the bat if it had such parts. Anyway, my approach was to not be too confrontational and just quote the relevant parts of the memorandum (http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/d...-13-2-eng.html). Sections 5, 49, 50a, 53b. This topic is covered quite well in other posts. Bottom line is 366 < FPS < 500 is not a replica, but an 'uncontrolled firearm'
The CBSA staff just weren't sure and felt the safe thing to do was to detain it. They called their manager and the manager kept telling me it was a replica.
No one had any issues with the scope, so I have that with me now. This could end be the most expensive scope I have bought :wink:

Everyone was very cool and reasonable through the whole process, but bottom line is you are relying on people that are not trained properly. Of the three CBSA staff that discussed the case with me, not one had ever had someone try to import such a rifle through Pearson before. I am reasonably comfortable that I have a good case to keep the gun, but I am just waiting now. Will update again when I hear what happens. And I will dispute the ruling if they say I can't have it. Any suggestion on how I can prepare for the next interview ?

At this point I would not recommend doing this again, just for the blood pressure affects alone.
Old November 17th, 2013, 11:15   #2
redzaku

Oh My F*cking God,
you are not to import airsoft in the first place
be glad you didn't get black listed by the CSBA
За Родину!
BRRRRRT!
Old November 17th, 2013, 11:27   #3
cetane

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzaku View Post
Oh My F*cking God,
I have. Cbsa opened & inspected. Maybe chrono'd it. Arrived at post office and I paid duties. Not a big deal. Shipped from ehobbyasia. They swapped in a m120 into the gb of the masada (a&k)
Old November 17th, 2013, 11:33   #4
Jamroxorz
Jamroz

Thats not true, I myself and many people I know have imported rifles from a certain store in the US. They chrony it and mark down the FPS on a document they made stating it's in the legal limits of importing under the memorandum. It's risky but it's possible and legal. Goodluck I guess =]
Old November 17th, 2013, 11:33   #5
julian60

Quote:
Oh My F*cking God,
from the plethora of documents I've looked over it seems that as long as it fits within a certain criteria it's fine. that being said, it also universally looks like it's just not worth it if it's just a gun or two.

sounds like you went through the right channels, OP, hope that human error doesn't end up costing you your airsoft =( im currently biting my nails about the prospect of shipping over my tac gear/mags/sights from the US...

Send me a message, ou envoyez-moi un message!
Old November 17th, 2013, 13:00   #6
venture

You are in the right. You should get your gun back. Keep appealing until you hit someone with knowledge. You will have the gun by thefall of 2014.

Visit us at :www.ventureairsoft.ca
Old November 17th, 2013, 16:17   #7
Jbone 11 11

Perfect example of Govt. employees not knowing their own policies. God for bid anyone made a "call" on something....drives me nuts and unfortunately not isolated to CBSA.

Hope everything works out....probably will if you get a good Officer to review your case....they're not all douchebags...just mostly
Old November 17th, 2013, 16:25   #8
Debrief
a.k.a. HKpro

It took me 13 months to win a detention case, be prepared to wait a while. The CBSA/RCMP really like to take their time when sending guns to the chronograph test.

Quote:
Oh My F*cking God,
You are wrong.
Old November 17th, 2013, 16:32   #9
Danke

Let me get this straight. You figured you'd fly into a busy international airport with a airsoft gun in your luggage and copy of a memo.

You thought that would satisfy the front line staff that it complies with the regs and that your piece of paper is correct? The answer of course is they won't. They'll seize it and let it get sorted out at a later date.

I guess you can hope that when the do test it they'll do it on a warm day, have a fresh tank of propane and the just right weight of BBs.

Good luck. Hope the hassle is worth what you saved vs. buying in country.
Old November 17th, 2013, 17:46   #10
Metro
Moving_target

KWA M14A1 GBB rifle
I am trying to help you out but i can`t find the specs

... i can`t find the any info on the gun. I Import airsoft with out any problems. The key is the documentation from the manufacture...

Was is shooting over the 500fps or bellow 366 fps? I deal with senior officers CBSA all the time.
Old November 17th, 2013, 17:57   #11
K3vX

I guess he means this:

http://kwausa.com/ptr/kwa-lm4-ptr
Old November 17th, 2013, 18:01   #12
Swattiger

I also fly to HK very often but I found it does not worth the effort and time to buy something that is available here.

You may pay a higher price from local retailers but the difference in price is getting smaller these days.

Whenever you decide to bring in an airsoft gun by yourself, you should prepare you won't be bothered even if it does not get through. Otherwise, it really does not worth to do so.
Old November 17th, 2013, 18:05   #13
Metro
Moving_target

(d)
Low muzzle velocity/energy guns

Any barrelled weapon that is not designed or adapted to discharge projectiles at a muzzle velocity exceeding 152.4 metres per second (500 feet per second) and at a muzzle energy exceeding 5.7 Joules, or to discharge projectiles that are designed or adapted to attain a velocity exceeding 152.4 metres per second (500 feet per second) and an energy exceeding 5.7 Joules. Both thresholds of 152.4 mps and 5.7 Joules must be exceeded for the firearm to be considered “controlled”. This requirement exempts firearms that fire below the threshold velocity with a standard projectile, but exceed the threshold velocity when fired with a high-velocity projectile

This mean to have 5.7 joules the airsoft with 0.20 g bb would have to shoot over 700 fps to be considered and firearm...
Old November 17th, 2013, 18:15   #14
Metro
Moving_target

thanks K3vX

13+ RPS
110-116 MPS [360-380 FPS]
1.20 Joules

they take the average from the manufacture web site . so it would be 370 fps.
That is your first line of defense. But if you have a agent that want to have it tested then they will send it to Ottawa to the RCMP lab weapons lab to test it to cronie it...
Old November 17th, 2013, 18:58   #15
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Send a message via MSN to beta678
Lol, seems like a funny coincidence, I was just rereading through the memorandum yesterday to clarify some points regarding this exact issue.

Now as much as I'd like to discuss this topic more, it seems to be a bit of a taboo topic here on ASC due to the fact that most people don't want to encourage the behavior due to the potential risk towards the sport and because of the "support your local retailer" thing (not a bad thing but prices seem outrageous sometimes... even between local stores). Anyways, I've pm'd a few people w/ some questions (hope you don't mind) and a note for OP which might help somewhat.

But it seems like the most important thing to take away from here is:

"Don't personally import airsoft in your lugguge through an airport, while its not illegal per say its not worth the hassle and potential butt prodding by customs"
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General