Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Certified? huh..

:

Newbie Tank

Old January 26th, 2011, 17:37   #1
Zep

Certified? huh..

Ok i don't get it. whats this Ba certified thing or whatever it is.. do you need to be certified to use this at a range or to play....?

thanks..

Magpul G&P M4 Carbine
King Arms Knight's SR-16 Carbine
Team: Delta 5. ASO Username: Maniak

Zep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 17:38   #2
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

certain fields require you to have a sniper certification in order to use a "hot" sniper rifle due to the fps being above 450.
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 17:41   #3
Zep

Oh ok cool. cause there is no way id sit down for a lecture. Guess i'll scratch getting a sniper rifle next.

but for anything else its good. good to hear.

Thanks

Magpul G&P M4 Carbine

Old January 26th, 2011, 17:42   #4
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

the sniper clinics consist of movement, ghillies, Minimum Engagement Distances (MED), etc..
something to look into.

and if this is your first gun, a sniper rifle is never a good idea
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 17:44   #5
Sportco
would-be wine thief

BA (bolt action) if you don't have that you can only use your riffle at the same power as AEG's...

Many places will also limit the minimum engagement range to about a 70 feet with a hot gun and force you to engage with your secondary weapon or make 2 man team mandatory were your spotter engages clauser targets

Cheers

Ps lets be honest, sniping is NOT for everyone... just building a reliable precise BA can be an extremely frustrating experiance... ask around... plus costs are a lot more then most people immagine at first ((Ba and equipment))

((70 .. 100 was typ so I was wrong anyway FOX thanks for clarifying)

Level 3 Directory assistance operator
Level 1 skapegoat
It ain't the years, it's the miles.

Last edited by Sportco; January 26th, 2011 at 18:00..
Sportco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 17:52   #6
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

There is no such things are 100fts minimum engagement distances, unless you are shooting way abover the usual field limit, even with the certified sniper limits.

Someone made that MED out of nothing and it propagated like fire.
A typical MED for a sniper rifle at 450fps is 40 feets.

To have a MED of 100 feets, your rifle would be shooting at 625fps.

Standard sniper limits is 450fps (MED 40fts)
Lvl2 snipers are limited to 500fps. (MED 55fts)
Lvl3 snipers are limited to 550fps. (MED 65fts)

MED are calculated to have 1joule at impact.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 17:53   #7
Zep

oh yeah for sure.. i was just wondering what it was. I just get enough lecturing in the military so, for a hobby i have no intentions of sitting threw more if i dont have to.

As for the sniper rifle, i have an actual M24 at home. i just thought it would be fun to get a Airsoft of the same one. but maybe later.. and costs related, its alot cheaper than when i buy real amo and shoot off a couple hundred .. so Airsoft is a nice (cheaper) alternative and i can shoot on my property.

Magpul G&P M4 Carbine

Last edited by Zep; January 26th, 2011 at 17:55..
Old January 26th, 2011, 18:05   #8
Sportco
would-be wine thief

Frak... 65 feet @550

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX_111 View Post
There is no such things are 100fts minimum engagement distances, unless you are shooting way abover the usual field limit, even with the certified sniper limits.

Someone made that MED out of nothing and it propagated like fire.
A typical MED for a sniper rifle at 450fps is 40 feets.

To have a MED of 100 feets, your rifle would be shooting at 625fps.

Standard sniper limits is 450fps (MED 40fts)
Lvl2 snipers are limited to 500fps. (MED 55fts)
Lvl3 snipers are limited to 550fps. (MED 65fts)

MED are calculated to have 1joule at impact.
Does velocity really drop a 100 fps in 25 feet?

Level 3 Directory assistance operator
Level 1 skapegoat
It ain't the years, it's the miles.
Sportco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 18:19   #9
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Ummm, no. Minimum engagement for me is 60ft and I focus on hitting a vest, pouches, etc. And this is with my rifle shooting 0.20g BBs at 400fps. I don't agree with the MEDs Fox posted up, I think they are typos, because none of us certified snipers would have those short engagements....... unless we were trying to keep up in the Phillipines anyways.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 18:33   #10
Zep

makes sense.

But like fox said, i also read something about zero engage till 100ft.. weird. but i assume stalker knows more as hes certified for it..:snipe: :cheers: so no worries. I guess their is so much talk on the net that its hard to find and keep all the rules straight. I have a hard time finding alot of actual info.. so i just ask on here cause, people reply way faster and its easier.

Magpul G&P M4 Carbine

Last edited by Zep; January 26th, 2011 at 18:37..
Old January 26th, 2011, 18:39   #11
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post
makes sense.

But like fox said, i also read something about zero engage till 100ft.. weird. but i assume stalker knows more as hes certified for it.. so no worries. I guess their is so much talk on the net that its hard to find and keep all the rules straight. I have a hard time finding alot of actual info.. so i just ask on here cause, people reply way faster and its easier.
Generally it's a respect thing, I wouldn't want to get shot by my M24 at 100ft with the 0.36g BBs I use either, so I am careful about who I shoot where and at what distance. Fox_111 is certified as well, and sometimes holds the Quebec courses, so he's worth listening to as well. I just don't agree with the distances he laid out, all will make you bleed if the BB hits lightly covered skin. Is why I mentioned it being a typo.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 18:46   #12
coach
aka coachster

Yes. I agree with stalker here. I wouldn't want to be shot by a level 2 rifle at under 100ft. 70ft is way too close. Even 100ft is too close. (except for close friends or CO's ) I wouldn't even bother centering my scope at that range as I'd be grabbing for my mk23 socom.

As with stalker, I'll always try to aim for kit keeping it well below the neck and face in the even of a flyer. Mags are great because the target won't feel it as pain but everyone will hear it hit. Dump pouches hanging over people asses are great spots too! I've even put a few shots on peoples boots in which they hated that I hit them there but thankful I didn't aim for the fleshy inner thigh I sometimes do with a lower fps AEG. lol.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 18:49   #13
FOX_111

The MEDs are calculated to have 1joule at impact. That is the same feeling as putting your hand right on the musle of a 280fps AEG and shooting it. It hurt like hell. It will leave a mark, but should not break the skin.

Those MEDs are a standard of safety. 1joule was calculated to be about the maximum energy the skin can sustain before breaking. (leaving out sensitives parts like the face...)

The sniper clinic then teach how to safely use those MEDs in the context of a game. Like stalker said, shooting someone right on the MED is not somemething a certified sniper will do. But knowing the effect of his shot, he can take apropriate mesures to make a safe shot on a player.

Since the sniper clinic primaraly focus on safety and airsoft ballistic, it's something all certified snipers are tested on and are trusted to be safe with.

I guess I wanted to safe time and explanations by posting the base value only. But they have to be used in context and knowledge. Like the speed limits on the road. You might be allowed to drive at 100km/h, but if it's icy, you won't be doing so.

Old January 26th, 2011, 18:53   #14
Zep

oh for sure, i wouldent want to get hit by one at close range either. makes a lot of sense.

Are their any outdoor ranges or something, most ive seen are just basic skid made courses. these do not look like fun. specially to snipe from.. I have a 40 acre property so me and my friends snipe and shoot outdoors all the time.. good to know the distance tho.

Quote:
The sniper clinic then teach how to safely use those MEDs in the context of a game. Like stalker said, shooting someone right on the MED is not somemething a certified sniper will do. But knowing the effect of his shot, he can take apropriate mesures to make a safe shot on a player.

Since the sniper clinic primaraly focus on safety and airsoft ballistic, it's something all certified snipers are tested on and are trusted to be safe with.

I guess I wanted to safe time and explanations by posting the base value only. But they have to be used in context and knowledge. Like the speed limits on the road. You might be allowed to drive at 100kp/h, but if it's icy, you won't be doing so.
makes sense, not everyone knows the damage an airsoft can do.. maybe it would actually be interesting to learn and get some tips on how the rifle works etc.. but i would feel better at a range for "sure" with someone who is well versed with the weapon so i dont get hurt..

good info cheers,

Magpul G&P M4 Carbine

Last edited by Zep; January 26th, 2011 at 18:56..
Old January 26th, 2011, 18:58   #15
FOX_111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportco View Post
Does velocity really drop a 100 fps in 25 feet?
I have a graphic somewhere that show the fps drop at certain distances. I can't find it right now.

But based on my memory, to a certain point yes. The numbers I have and the formula used to calculate the MED take into account the benchmark fps (with 0.20g), BB weight, terminal velocity (air friction at sea level, 20 celcius).

MEDs are given for the optimal BB weight too. That might play witht the final number if you try to calculate it yourself. BB used range from 0.29g to 0.36g depending on fps. When we say a 450fps rifle, we should really say a 1.88j rifle.
That leave out the usual misunderstanding of the modified fps based on BB weight.

This complicated thing is covered in my sniper clinic and it's all explained in my documentation. I'm positive that it's also the case in the other sniper clinics in Canada.

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank