Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Ghillie Thread, lots of thread, litterally ;)

:

Airsoft Media

Old March 14th, 2007, 12:46   #46
Mr_Steezy

One thing that I have noticed about adding local vegetation ( particularly grass) is that it looses its rigidness after about two hours. Just another good reason to work in pairs for reapplying =)
Old March 14th, 2007, 13:11   #47
Iceman

Send a message via MSN to Iceman
never ever clean your ghillie. ever. The dirtier it is, the better it will work. I'd recommend you actually take a swim in it, come out and crawl in mud/sand for a while, then crawl on your back through a few hundred feet, then let it dry in the sun. Repeat this a few times.

Then just roll it up, and stuff it in a bag or howeever you want to store it.

-never put it in the shower
-never put it in the dryer
-never attempt to clean it
-never remove any vegetation from it when storing it.

it'll make it all that much better.
Old March 14th, 2007, 13:23   #48
philstructo

Im workin on my Ghillie pants tonight I will post some pics when im done
philstructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 15:39   #49
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
never ever clean your ghillie. ever. The dirtier it is, the better it will work. I'd recommend you actually take a swim in it, come out and crawl in mud/sand for a while, then crawl on your back through a few hundred feet, then let it dry in the sun. Repeat this a few times.

Then just roll it up, and stuff it in a bag or howeever you want to store it.

-never put it in the shower
-never put it in the dryer
-never attempt to clean it
-never remove any vegetation from it when storing it.

it'll make it all that much better.
Good points. I gave my ghillie a hose down after the Sniper Hunt game, just because of all the methane smelling mud that was stuck to it from the swamp at Zone 27. Aside from that I don't even bother.

And, I keep my pants, jacket and boonie all stuffed into a CF sleeping bag compression sack. Comes out all nice and wrinkly! And because the bag is water resistant, the ghillie doesn't dry very well inside it. Lol, fermenting in it's own smell!

OH, I forgot. Make sure you guys make enough vent holes in your jackets, like mid-back and armpits. After spending a good three hours in my full ghillie (T-shirt and cadpat BDU pants underneath) climbing, crawling and walking around at Op:Quickpass II last year, musta been about +30C and sunny, I had my own personal sauna. I was literally desperate to get shot so I could head to respawn and shed my ghillie. At least this year I have UnderArmour.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 15:45   #50
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
At least this year I have UnderArmour.
that's also a good point... come to think of it... if you're not in a hurry to put on your ghillie, i'd suggest you put on only Underarmour or equivalent undergarments. Shorts if possible, or long john Underarmour for heat as well as a comfortable underarmour tshirt as well.

and make sure you got a camelbak somewhere in there

I recommend you include half a lime (squirts) in the water. Makes for a natural gatorade. Just make sure to clean the bladder after usage
Old March 14th, 2007, 17:20   #51
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Lots of good points coming out of this, eh?

Ya, my Camelbak was with me at QP2 (and for some reason I left my smokes behind and didn't have one until I bummed one from TestTube 4hrs after game start). Hehe, case in point of how much I sweat that day, I took a piss about 8am while getting ready, drank and refilled my Camelbak about twice, also drank most of a 2L bottle of water I brought. I didn't take a piss again until around 7pm, and it wasn't a leg-crossing piss either, it was just a pre-emptive one. So I went all day drinking that much, and my body absorbed all of it.

I got a couple of the US Army coyote brown UnderArmour shirts last fall, figure I'll at least get a pair of boxers for this year.

I forgot, suspenders are your friends! I never wear my ghillie for an entire game, most of the time I'll wear it beginning of the day and transition over to my usual BDUs and gear, so I made the pants from a large size pair of BDUs. I think they are a size 40 waist, I wear size 34 pants. Because of the extra bulk of all the burlap, and the larger size to put on over my BDU pants, I've found suspenders are a hardcore necessity, even with wearing a well fitting belt. Nothing worse than doing a stalk or walking to your insertion point with one hand on your rifle and the other on your pants holding them up!

Last edited by CDN_Stalker; March 14th, 2007 at 17:53..
Old March 14th, 2007, 18:12   #52
dutchydoc

Send a message via MSN to dutchydoc
Not sure how many of you know about this, but ill post the link anyway http://www.oneshottactical.com/merch...tegory_Code=MC
To save you wasting your time, its a bag of scrap cammo from the factory for seven bucks.I'm sure its cheaper than buying a yard of each type of camo.

Last edited by dutchydoc; March 14th, 2007 at 18:14..
dutchydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 18:48   #53
-Skeletor-
That would work well for helmet scrim, but not for a ghillie suit.

An if anyone was gonna use that for a ghillie suit, they'd need to buy a LOT of bags of that scrap camo.
Old March 14th, 2007, 18:51   #54
dutchydoc

Send a message via MSN to dutchydoc
i was more thinking along the lines of using it on an already made ghillie. not for building one from scratch. But hey im no sniper.
Old March 14th, 2007, 19:00   #55
Dracheous
Lego Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchydoc View Post
i was more thinking along the lines of using it on an already made ghillie. not for building one from scratch. But hey im no sniper.
Dutchy, no! I'm only making one! :P for now

Those strips are more for on and around the gun than anything else I'd assume.

Question is, how many strips are in there for $6? Or is this turning into the rag business? You know, 20 bucks for a bag of rags at Home Depot. Well, I don't know if its gotten THAT expensive, but for rags its gone up.

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 19:22   #56
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

I know I thought about getting a similar bag of camo scraps (helmet scrim) from CP Gear a couple years ago, decided not to but Quatis bought one anyways. Turned out that every single piece was nylon cordura, not BDU fabric. Shit, it even included a lot of black pieces, last thing you want on a ghillie, or even helmet scrim for that matter.
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:36   #57
Dracheous
Lego Head

Okay, its 1 32 AM, I think I'd best get some sleep, but Stalker, damn you! You have me hooked on this project!

I have tied in a few of those strips you keep repeating about, but they just slip under all the thread so I am going to wait till I'm done tying the thread and go after to tie those on. Going to get a lil more brown and tan in here and there on it. I hope to be done atleast the jacket and hat by Saturday to give it a shot. Mind you, there'll only be a few trees I could hide in with it. Since everything'll be snowy. Just have to stick to the cedars!

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 03:13   #58
Iceman

those are long twigs man... Its late, but i would recommend to cut them at least half-way.

/suggestion

Last edited by Iceman; March 15th, 2007 at 09:59.. Reason: changed strips for twigs
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:53   #59
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

I must need coffee, it's morning and I can't see strips at all.

Drach, don't worry about them sitting under the strands, if you do what I suggested about tearing the ends off while holding halfway up, the strips will become shorter, but will also become bunched, 3D if you want to call it that. That will make it fluffier, and will make the strands lift out more. Having all that happen will create some shadows in the ghillie, which is good (and which is why three dimensional camo is always the best).
Old March 15th, 2007, 15:55   #60
Iceman

sorry i meant the burlap twigs, really.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media