Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Installing an Upgraded Spring

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old January 22nd, 2009, 21:30   #1
[]D[][]\/[][]D

Installing an Upgraded Spring

Which end of this spring would the spring guide go into, the left side or the right side?

I'm going to take guess and say the left side because it's less coiled and probably would spring out harder than the other side. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

[]D[][]\/[][]D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 21:31   #2
coach
aka coachster

I believe the irregular side goes on the spring guide.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 21:32   #3
[]D[][]\/[][]D

So left side or right side on the pic? I don't know what you mean by irregular.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 21:34   #4
Jugglez

Location: Swimming in a pool of Xpresspost receipts.... Toronto - 400/401
Tighter coils to the spring guide.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 21:36   #5
[]D[][]\/[][]D

Cool, thanks!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 21:59   #6
m102404
Tys

when you're closing it up...don't have the spring guide end of the mechbox pointed at anything that won't take a good shot (i.e. TV, your face, coffee cup...etc...) if you slip.

Just saying...
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 22:18   #7
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
when you're closing it up...don't have the spring guide end of the mechbox pointed at anything that won't take a good shot (i.e. TV, your face, coffee cup...etc...) if you slip.

Just saying...
from experience?
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 22:30   #8
m102404
Tys

Yeah...I shot a M120 powered bearing spring guide out once...knocked over my coffee all over my workbench and smacked into my workshop TV (about 2 feet away). Surprisingly it didn't break the tube...but I thought for sure it did by the sound of the impact.

Another darwin move is putting one together with the spring guide facing your chest if you're up close to the table...not that the spring guide hitting you in the chest hurts...but it'll shoot the half open mechbox away from you across the workbench and scatter all the pieces, definitely ruining your shimming...

I learn from failure....and it seems as though I learn something new everyday
Old January 22nd, 2009, 22:44   #9
[]D[][]\/[][]D

Quote:
I learn from failure....and it seems as though I learn something new everyday
So true!

So can I ask you something? Why is it everytime I when I try close the gearbox back up somehow the top right corner where the cylinder head and air seal nozzle is, it just won't close up completely? I always have a hard time closing up the gearbox because of that and I just can't figure out what it could be.

It just won't close up.

Last edited by []D[][]\/[][]D; January 22nd, 2009 at 22:52..
Old January 22nd, 2009, 22:48   #10
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Yeah...I shot a M120 powered bearing spring guide out once...knocked over my coffee all over my workbench and smacked into my workshop TV (about 2 feet away). Surprisingly it didn't break the tube...but I thought for sure it did by the sound of the impact.
I've had experiences like that. Not so epic though...just that the wall took a beating once or twice.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 23:30   #11
[]D[][]\/[][]D

Quote:
Originally Posted by []D[][]\/[][]D View Post
So true!

So can I ask you something? Why is it everytime I when I try close the gearbox back up somehow the top right corner where the cylinder head and air seal nozzle is, it just won't close up completely? I always have a hard time closing up the gearbox because of that and I just can't figure out what it could be.

It just won't close up.
Nevermind, I just figured out what was causing it to be stuck open. It was the peg that's supposed to go into the hole on the side of the cylinder head. Stupid stock TM rubber cylinder heads! If I had an aluminum cylinder head I probably wouldn't have that issue.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 23:32   #12
m102404
Tys

I think that the nub on the inside of the right half of the mechbox shell isn't getting into the hole in the cylinder head.

The cylinder/cylinder head is being "lifted" at the back end by the spring tension (which is bowing the spring). That puts the head on an angle.

If you use a finger to push the cylinder down flat as you're closing it up...it might just pop into place (the satisfying "clunk" when the mechbox shell closes and everything is in place).

It could also be from the tappet plate edge, which rides in a track on both mechbox halves, not slipping into place.

You just end up getting a knack for doing it after a while...it's something I find very hard to describe in words...but easy to demonstrate in person.

That's a version 3 right? I've sometimes found that the switch assembly "housing" gets out of place. It's kind of loose/flimsy..but stays in place when the mechbox is closed. See how the wires are under the mechbox...as you're pushing down, the wiring is pushing the switch assembly up. Might not be the cause...but it ain't helping.

Best of luck...when you hit max frustration, take a break (release spring tension!) and come back to it later...

Tys
Old January 22nd, 2009, 23:36   #13
[]D[][]\/[][]D

Naw, I got it, thanks! I just finished closing the gearbox back up with the new upgraded spring. I've never had a issue installing springs, it's when I try and close up the gearbox. But I finally figured it out and I'll know next time what to do when it happens again. Thanks!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 23:39   #14
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
When that happens, you probably just have to pull the top half of the gearbox forward while pushing down, and it'll snap into place.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 23:52   #15
milehigh

What brand of gearbox is it? I recently went through the same issue while trying to assemble a King Arms version 3 7mm bearing gearbox. The cylinder head area of the gearbox was somehow defective, and the two halves would not close.
milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications