Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

The Winter Soldier/ Captain America face protection... Thoughts?

:

Gear Discussion

Old April 14th, 2014, 23:21   #1
airsoftjunky
a.k.a. evaboe

The Winter Soldier/ Captain America face protection... Thoughts?

So the airsofter in me could not help but think of airsoft face protection the whole time I was watching the second Captain America movie. I have tried several different types of pace protection. Some homemade, which didn't mind.

These included one that attached to my FAST helmet chin strap, (my current favorite, just consisting of enough protection for my teeth only, but requiring the use of a helmet).

Another that was similar, but able to be used with a boonie hat. (effective, but more funny lookin).

A silicone full faced mask (comfy, effective, but not good enough ventilation).

And of course the good old metal mesh mask. I have no gripes with these, save for the fact they squish my nose, are bulky under my goggles, and thats actually about it. Oh, and makes it difficult to cheek a weapon. I do, however, play much more confidently with one, knowing I will not have a tooth shot out.

Enough reviews. The inventor in me could not help but wonder if, with some ingenuity, one could incorporate a mouth sized bit of the metal mesh into a mask similar to what the bad guy wears in this movie. This would hopefully be a comfortable option that would allow helmets, boonie hats, or no head protection, while still offering full mouth protection, comfort, breath-ability, and yes, cool looks factor, with a low enough profile still to allow quick target acquisition. Thoughts anyone? Here's a link to the picture in case anyone has not yet seen the movie.

http://dorkaholics.files.wordpress.c...3_4a4wxtw.jpeg
airsoftjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 23:26   #2
airsoftjunky
a.k.a. evaboe

As a side note, I have found out that the mesh of the mesh masks is actually quite easy to cut with the right tools, bend and shape to your liking, then simply hot glue into place with a strip of thick edging fabric (or whatever they might call it at a fabric store)
Old April 14th, 2014, 23:27   #3
Conker

For CQB I'm adding mesh to a balaclava. Just sew a pocket in front of the teeth, slip the mesh insert, sew the end of the pocket. Done.
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 23:31   #4
airsoftjunky
a.k.a. evaboe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiu View Post
TBH, you won't know how well it would work until you try yourself!

Anyhow, I've personally found the Hero Shark masks nice. He also makes custom ones if you PM him on facebook too I think.

When you order, you give your measurements like nose to chin, ear to ear, as well as what eye pro you are wearing.
Interesting. However, in my experience I find the full seal goggles to not work as well with such mesh masks, as they either have to fit on top of, or above the mask. Creating discomfort, for me at least, either way. Never tried custom ones though!
Old April 14th, 2014, 23:37   #5
airsoftjunky
a.k.a. evaboe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker View Post
For CQB I'm adding mesh to a balaclava. Just sew a pocket in front of the teeth, slip the mesh insert, sew the end of the pocket. Done.
Cool! I've thought about that a few times. If you ever get time to upload a pic of that to here that'd be pretty awsome...
Old April 15th, 2014, 07:26   #6
w1lp33

Where did you get the chinstrap mesh protector? I've been trying to source one....
w1lp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 08:29   #7
airsoftjunky
a.k.a. evaboe

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1lp33 View Post
Where did you get the chinstrap mesh protector? I've been trying to source one....
I bought it through a private deal. Not really sure if I should link it here. I will inbox you with info.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion