Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

A Big mistake.

:

Reviews

Old July 24th, 2012, 18:49   #1
JerryMcGoulBerry

Angry A Big mistake.

So one day, I thought to myself "well, my gun just broke . maybe I should buy an ICS".
so i went on the internet and found the ICS MS1 pro for 489$. I have been saving a lot of money for a good gun and the reviews on the internet looked pretty positive. So I bought the gun. it came to my house in a reasonable time and I opened it up and started shooting. the first thin I noticed was the terrible accuracy and tight battery space. after 2 hours (not exaggerating) of trying to get the damn thing in there I gave up. it was held to my gun by a rubber band! the battery also came with cables that disconnected every 5 minutes. I read about the split gearbox in this gun and how it is supposed to make changing springs easier, and it does, but not by much. its a lot easier to get the upper gearbox out but you still have to take the gearbox apart. after realising this, I tried to close the gun. but it wouldnt close.
I was really unsatisfied so I drove all the way to red dear and asked for a re fund. the people there told me that as soon as you open up the gun the warranty becomes void. i was pissed. I argued with the man for 2 minutes before giving up. he found a way to close up the gun and he welded the battery back together. I also spent 40$ on a tighter barrel hoping that it would make the gun more accurate. when I got home, I started shooting my gun again and the new barrel made a tiny difference, but not much at all. after adjusting to reflex sight to this, the motor disconnected. At this point I was infuriated.
now I was down 560$ on a gun that doesn't shoot accurate, doesnt work, and I cant even get a refund.
lesson learned. if you're going to get ICS. DO NOT GET THE MX5!
ICS is good but this "MP5 innovation" is terrible.
JerryMcGoulBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 19:00   #2
Forever_kaos

What weight and brand of BB's were you using?
Forever_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 19:21   #3
JerryMcGoulBerry

I was using .2 DOS BBs

*Update
well I fixed the motor without a problem but the welding job the guy at the store did made my battery start smoking.
JerryMcGoulBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 20:13   #4
T-MacK

Sounds like a nightmare.
T-MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 20:23   #5
Forever_kaos

Grab some quality .28's and watch things improve. .2's are light and fly all over the place, just as you described.
Forever_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 21:59   #6
TPM001

My experience with ICS says to stay away from ICS. I've own two of them and both broke down catastrophically.

The split gearbox design is more of a gimmick than a design advantage. In fact, it just makes it more prone to breaking and more costly to upgrade or fix.

Your money would have been better spent on a G&P with spare cash to upgrade the motor and the gear set. Then you would have a superior weapon that is reliable, accurate and easy to work with.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I understand because I went through the same with ICS crap.
TPM001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 22:13   #7
Rusty Lugnuts
Fainting Goat, Dictator of Quinte West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever_kaos View Post
Grab some quality .28's and watch things improve. .2's are light and fly all over the place, just as you described.
+1 and how...I don't use .2s for anything other than chrony. I even use .25s in my spring pistol
Rusty Lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 22:16   #8
SHaKaL

Send a message via MSN to SHaKaL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPM001 View Post
My experience with ICS says to stay away from ICS. I've own two of them and both broke down catastrophically.

The split gearbox design is more of a gimmick than a design advantage. In fact, it just makes it more prone to breaking and more costly to upgrade or fix.

Your money would have been better spent on a G&P with spare cash to upgrade the motor and the gear set. Then you would have a superior weapon that is reliable, accurate and easy to work with.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I understand because I went through the same with ICS crap.
Don't know about the quality of the new ICS but my first Aeg was an ICS M4.
Only thing i changed on this riffle was the bushings and the motor (one of the magnet broke loose, was a turbo 2000). Had that aeg for 3 years and it was pretty reliable...

Seem like they had a quality drop in the last years.

101e 506Pir Fox Company - SHTYK NOZH

Last edited by SHaKaL; July 24th, 2012 at 22:19..
SHaKaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 22:28   #9
Drake
E-01

The battery should not smoke and if it does you should bring it back. Don't use that, nothing good will come of it. And if it's shorting out like that be careful where/how you store it (if you have one of those metal ammo boxes, put it in there -- without any ammo in it :P )

As mentioned, heavier weight BBs will help your accuracy.

The mechbox is what mechboxes are (and that's why I switched to gas...)...

I can understand how disappointing an experience this is, but don't despair: with the heavier BBs and a good battery you should have a more pleasant experience.
Old July 24th, 2012, 22:50   #10
FreelancerInc

as with any of the "higher" end brands you will get lemons. these are built by humans and to err is human. i personally have a ICS Galil-92 and its my most reliable and durible standard aeg. and i can say this with confidence as my other two are g36's of the TM and CA brands.

of course most of the major brands do produce a product that can be argued as the best of that style of gun. and most of the major brands produce a variant of almost every style of gun. so it is necessary to find the best brand for the style of gun you wish to buy.
Old July 24th, 2012, 22:58   #11
Wrath144
formerly steyr

ICS = I can't shoot.
Old July 24th, 2012, 23:19   #12
HKGhost

ICS are a dream to work on and to inspect. Most of the issues listed here are user error and OP's limited understanding on how to make an AEG work. Yes they have the proprietary shell but if you take care of it, it should last you many years. And just because you don't know how to make your gun work, don't blame the company for your limited knowledge.

Custom Build | Upgrades | Repairs | Maintenance
HKGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 23:20   #13
Darklen
Administrator

I just got some of these in my store and agree with the battery configuration. It's extermely tight. You have to insert the cells in the right orientation and order or they won't fit. On top of that, there is little room for the plug. It's possible to fit everything in, but very, very tight and finicky. We tried using a standard 9.6v NiMh nunchuck and they were too long. A 9.6v NiMh "AA" "TWINS" battery looks like it would fit but the two tabs in the front inside the handguard would have to be trimmed off. An Intellect 7.4v/1000 mAh lipo fits perfectly.
Old July 24th, 2012, 23:23   #14
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMcGoulBerry View Post
So one day, I thought to myself "well, my gun just broke . maybe I should buy an ICS".
so i went on the internet and found the ICS MS1 pro for 489$. I have been saving a lot of money for a good gun and the reviews on the internet looked pretty positive. So I bought the gun. it came to my house in a reasonable time and I opened it up and started shooting. the first thin I noticed was the terrible accuracy and tight battery space. after 2 hours (not exaggerating) of trying to get the damn thing in there I gave up. it was held to my gun by a rubber band! the battery also came with cables that disconnected every 5 minutes. I read about the split gearbox in this gun and how it is supposed to make changing springs easier, and it does, but not by much. its a lot easier to get the upper gearbox out but you still have to take the gearbox apart. after realising this, I tried to close the gun. but it wouldnt close.
I was really unsatisfied so I drove all the way to red dear and asked for a re fund. the people there told me that as soon as you open up the gun the warranty becomes void. i was pissed. I argued with the man for 2 minutes before giving up. he found a way to close up the gun and he welded the battery back together. I also spent 40$ on a tighter barrel hoping that it would make the gun more accurate. when I got home, I started shooting my gun again and the new barrel made a tiny difference, but not much at all. after adjusting to reflex sight to this, the motor disconnected. At this point I was infuriated.
now I was down 560$ on a gun that doesn't shoot accurate, doesnt work, and I cant even get a refund.
lesson learned. if you're going to get ICS. DO NOT GET THE MX5!
ICS is good but this "MP5 innovation" is terrible.
Read the manual that came with your gun. It will tell you how to put the battery in. Also look inside and check where the cables can and can't go. You want realism, so you have to work with the shape of a firearm that DO NOT USE BATTERIES...

You have to release the spring before opening the mechbox, otherwise you won't be able to close it again.

Stock batteries are always crap. What ever the brand you buy.
BUT you can probably have a new one since the "repair" the guy did scraped it for good.

You are using the cheapest BB out theres, get something good that is AT LEAST .25 and your accuracy will be better. Again read your manual to learn how to adjust the hop-up.

Now try to replace the main spring in a V3 mechbox under 30 seconds... that is how long it takes me to swap one in an ICS split. No ARES, that's cheating.

Welcome to the wonderful world of airsoft. That is why some individuals are named "gundocs".
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 23:30   #15
Darklen
Administrator

Kos, manual shows a 9.6v mini being installed. No way it would fit.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews