Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Another starter gun thread - a different angle this time

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old March 15th, 2017, 15:22   #1
Okawesome

Another starter gun thread - a different angle this time

Hey guys,

Yes it's another starter gun thread. I've been doing a ton of reading and understand that general opinion of a starter gun is the G&G CM16/18, without any of the S-model add on stuff. The step-up pick is a VFC.

I've got another consideration besides the standard price/durability/potential trifecta. What about weight?

I suppose weight depends on preference - my own preference (right now) is to start with a lighter gun for purely practical reasons. As far as I can tell, all VFC's are metal bodied, which of course increases that durability factor but makes for a heavier gun.

I plan to do mostly indoor CQB. Any thoughts from this perspective? Should weight factor in to my decision making?

I plan to find each rifle in a store somewhere so I can handle them side by side which should help I guess but I'd like some expert opinions for now.
Okawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 15:29   #2
Desmodus
Mexifaggot

As someone who has extensively used full-steel guns for easily 5+ years of airsoft... VFC M4's are as light as a feather. You'll be fine using one all day.

Primaries: LCT AK74MN w/SKTBR, VFC M4 SOPMOD Block 2
Secondary: Latino heat, TM Glock 17

Last edited by Desmodus; March 15th, 2017 at 15:31..
Desmodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 16:03   #3
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

yep VFC full metal about the same weight as most plastic bodied guns. even ky 417 isnt much heavier than an m4 and the extra weight is on the body so easy to support.
best option for lighter is a shorter front set. the main weight issue with the AR platform is a long ass rail and barrel sticking out a foot in front and having to hold that up at arms length lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 19:46   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I used a G&P249 for years, swung that bitch around like an assault rifle, and it weighs 8.5kg.
You get used to the weight, and honestly, there's not a stock M4 out there that's concernedly heavy.
If it weighs less than 4kg, it's a light gun. 2kg is pretty much a thin plastic shell with a mechbox inside.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 20:01   #5
Wilkie

What Frank said.

Many real life services run the practice of giving the new guy the heaviest weapon. He becomes used to the weight, while at the same time making lighter weapons seem even lighter in comparison. If you start with a very light weapon it will have the reverse effect.

Airsoft guns are generally a fair bit lighter than their real counterparts, so I recommend not even worrying about weight.
Wilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 04:06   #6
Slodin

my first rifle (AK700 by Echo1) was 3kg accroding to echo1, I found it hard to use because it felt very unbalanced of the weight. The gun is front heavy which really hindered me.

When I moved on to M4 platforms (KA Full metal m4, WE 416 GBBR) I found that no matter how heavy the rifle was, because it was balanced I had no problems using them. The WE 416 is stated to be 3.5kg and I assume the mag (gbbr mags are also heavy) wasn't included in the weight off their website. (I also have attachments that produces extra weight) I had not much trouble handling that, and that is the probably the heaviest weapon I have handled.

However, I actually think your issue is going to be the barrel length. CQB is much easier to move around corners with short barrel weapons. SMG/PDW & pistols are my preferred weapons in CQB fields. Too bad ours is gone...*sob*
Old March 16th, 2017, 08:29   #7
Splinter

What the boys are saying. Don't let weight influence your decision you'll get use to what ever your using. Front heavy, back heavy, heavy in general you'll get use to it. That's the biggest debate about MG and guns like the EBR.

Imo lean towards a VFC. So many times people come out and buy a cheaper starter rifle and then get the Airsoft itch.. than 3 games later kick themselves​ in the ass for not spending a little bit more from the start on somthing a little nicer.

Go to you local store and check some out or local field and just see what's around... you might end up liking a platform you didn't even consider.
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:38   #8
Chotto

Send a message via MSN to Chotto
I agree with everything that has been said regarding weight and the right starter for you.
But, there was a time I pulled the tendons in my arm so any long games or a day of playing became painful and my arm would lock up due to the strain. If you have some concerns along these lines. I recommend a nice G36 C for CQB action preferably the KWA, but the choice is yours, I have a 1st gen TA G36 c and it is still running. If price is no option the ASG EVO3 A1, the PDR c are some other options.
Chotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 12:05   #9
Doubleagent

I totally agree with Chotto. I highly recommend the G36 for the weight, looks, function, durability and maintenance. You can get them in any length and even the full length it is still lighter than most guns. They can adopt to use m4 mags too which I have done cause the G36 mags can be bulky unless you get magpul or matrix. In fact the size of the mags is the only down side to those guns but as I said you can get slender ones.
The gun comes apart very easily and is one of the only guns that you can drop and it doesn't break. I own 4 of them.

I also recommend you get a Masada. Really great guns in most cases.
Doubleagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 13:17   #10
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

the magpul g36 mags are not made anymore. They haven't been for quire some time. Everyone who wants a g36 or owns one needs to hassle the fuck out of pts to make an unbranded/unlicensed polymer mag, otherwise you're stuck with the brown pullcord matrix highcaps in the same style or shitty fat ones that don't feed.
Old March 16th, 2017, 16:34   #11
SuperCriollo

There are tons of G&G CM guns for sale on the used market, and they don't seem to hold their value too well. People who buy used guns usually stay away from beginners stuff. What I'm trying to get at is that a VFC will hold its resale value more

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 18:21   #12
Okawesome

Thanks all for the great input. Ok I headed to UA in Toronto last night to get some advice and to handle the guns first hand. Same sentiment there - ignore g&g if you can and don't worry about weight.

New consideration - UA has a low fps limit so a gun with a quick change spring is handy and won't require a downgrade service. Ares Amoeba was recommended by several people. I handled those too and liked the look and feel, especially the Honey Badger series. Price point sits right between the g&g and vfc too which gives me a good feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 18:49   #13
SuperCriollo

Amoeba has a plastic body, and some propietary parts. Newer VFC guns have a quick change spring system, and a MOSFET !

ICS guns are pretty good too, and often overlooked. The split GB system is great for easy tech work, and newer ones have a quick change spring system as well.

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 21:03   #14
Tuzi

I'd offer the opinion to not overlook the merits of Ares' Amoeba series.
While there are "proprietary" components, it mostly revolves around their electronic firing control system (their programmable mosfet). The rest of the stuff, piston, gearset, motor nozzle, tappet, etc... are v2 style, and no less/more proprietary than other makes, including VFC. Their gear boxes are quite strong in design, while their externals are relatively light, such as the badgers. Despite legacy opinions, I've been working with them for years and never seen a properly cared for unit fail electronically.
I agree with all the others when they say you get used to your gun's weight very quickly and it only becomes a thought when you compare it with someone else's setup. If you intend to change the gun's rails or grips...more "body" related stuff... go VFC. If you're just decorating the unit with add-ons, the current Ares products are reliable options.
All my show pieces are VFC... but for cqb and just regular gaming, i'll use one of my Ares...
Tuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 22:06   #15
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

The honey badgers are pretty sweet, only downside is their battery compartment
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion