Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

"replica" airsoft gun talk on CBC radio

:

Airsoft Media

Old January 14th, 2011, 07:01   #16
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
You have taken Brians statement completely out of context. What he said had nothing to do with the laws regarding brandishing. He's not COP bashing and I have no idea how the Military got not the equation.....

He was talking about the Police and CBSA enforcement officers not knowing all the particular laws regarding importation and ownership. They would rather not take the chance of enforcing the law incorrectly or simply don't understand how the law relates to Airsoft. In the case of CBSA this results in seizure, with the Police it results in confiscation and a weapons charge you have to fight in court.

The Police and CBSA can't be expected to know the law regarding every item that passes into this country. I get it. It's allot to deal with. We think it's easy because we handle Airsoft everyday, but if you were a CBSA officer and I handed you a Fuid Containment Annulus right now, would you be able to tell me without looking it up if it's OK to import? On this point I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawngordo View Post
I strongly disagree with you Brian. Police and the military do what they are trained to do and if people are going to commit a crime the restrictions wouldn't matter as they could spray paint an orange tip if that rule would be brought in, people could spray paint a gun to make it more realistic and they could even smuggle them in.

Quote from bshantz on JOC "IMO, law enforcement and military are the true idols and heros of this nation.
It's ironic that those who need protecting are the ones who are protesting."

Quote from Battalia on JOC "If you decide to take your life into your own hands and threaten others with a fake or real gun, that's your choice, but the law states that any gun, real or fake, will be treated as a real gun. That leaves no room to criticize our police and military for doing the right thing. You want to wave guns in public? go live somewhere else."

I don't think anything else could be more offensive then blaming police for acting defensively when a gun is pointed at them. Can you honestly imagine a cop being aimed at with an airsoft gun from some kid and have the cop say "oh it's not real" and then be shot dead? Be realistic, airsoft guns should be treated exactly as real weapons.

Last edited by Blackthorne; January 14th, 2011 at 07:04..
Blackthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 09:25   #17
TDH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
...it should be obvious to anyone that the users are mostly ignorant of the laws.. considering there is a thread like this one every other day...
I work with regulations as laid out in acts of law and the interpretation and implementation of those same regulations. Let me tell you: they are poorly and ambiguously written with multiple statutes overlapping in their authority with multiple laws specifically being vague in common areas leaving room for courts to "make law" in decision thus creating clarification. Too often these "law decisions" are made by inferior authorities who have been granted power by these ambiguous Acts. To me, it is incorrect to blame the user or responsible authority for misinterpretation of ambiguously or incompletely worded Acts. We, the users of these acts, are left to struggle with interpretation guided by authorities who, equally, are forced to render their own interpretation of regulation...ie. blame the lawmakers, not the little guy. We all want REAL regulation not vague guidelines that are poorly enforced and chaotically interpreted.
TDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:09   #18
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDH View Post
I work with regulations as laid out in acts of law and the interpretation and implementation of those same regulations. Let me tell you: they are poorly and ambiguously written with multiple statutes overlapping in their authority with multiple laws specifically being vague in common areas leaving room for courts to "make law" in decision thus creating clarification. Too often these "law decisions" are made by inferior authorities who have been granted power by these ambiguous Acts. To me, it is incorrect to blame the user or responsible authority for misinterpretation of ambiguously or incompletely worded Acts. We, the users of these acts, are left to struggle with interpretation guided by authorities who, equally, are forced to render their own interpretation of regulation...ie. blame the lawmakers, not the little guy. We all want REAL regulation not vague guidelines that are poorly enforced and chaotically interpreted.
Ambiguity of the law works in both directions with respect to enforcement latitude and reasonable defense.

Law statutes are not ambiguous accidentally, it affords the application of judgment, which is a good thing.

As a user of an item that is bound by statute it is imperative that the user understand possible applications of those statutes to their use of the item.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:36   #19
TDH
Banned

Quote:
Ambiguity of the law works in both directions with respect to enforcement latitude and reasonable defense.

Law statutes are not ambiguous accidentally, it affords the application of judgment, which is a good thing.

As a user of an item that is bound by statute it is imperative that the user understand possible applications of those statutes to their use of the item.
Theoretically you are absolutely and unquestionably correct...practically, however, I have found the contrary to be more true than false. Unfortunately, citing examples and arguing minutia would become tedious for us both I fear, but, I appreciate your viewpoint.
TDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 14:34   #20
Capt. T/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
a Fuid Containment Annulus
I must say, this is one of the best description of a suppressor I have ever seen.....
Capt. T/O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 14:39   #21
megabeers

that conversation seems a little inaccurate. not all guns have to be 'clear' to be legal here.
megabeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 15:37   #22
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by megabeers View Post
that conversation seems a little inaccurate. not all guns have to be 'clear' to be legal here.
Yeah.. that point has been made,

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old January 14th, 2011, 17:40   #23
Korunos
a.k.a. Asteroth33

Still confused by this whole subject. Guns get imported legally shooting certain FPS and Joules. 407-500 fps ( less than 5.7 Joules ). Now, most games cap FPS at 350-400 FPS. I've been told that once it's in country you can do whatever you want to it but this still seems odd.

If you are on the way to a game, get stopped by police and they search your car ( for whatever reason ) and find your gun. They confiscate and test it and they find out it's shooting at under 407 fps.....is it not a replica at this point and you can be charged?
Korunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 17:43   #24
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroth33 View Post
Still confused by this whole subject. Guns get imported legally shooting certain FPS and Joules. 407-500 fps ( less than 5.7 Joules ). Now, most games cap FPS at 350-400 FPS. I've been told that once it's in country you can do whatever you want to it but this still seems odd.

If you are on the way to a game, get stopped by police and they search your car ( for whatever reason ) and find your gun. They confiscate and test it and they find out it's shooting at under 407 fps.....is it not a replica at this point and you can be charged?
nope.. Possession of replicas is legal, no license required.

Transfer ( selling, trading, giving, loaning) is illegal though

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old January 14th, 2011, 17:48   #25
Korunos
a.k.a. Asteroth33

Brian

Would you mind if I PM'd you? I know you probably have seen these questions over and over, but I don't want to clutter up the thread.
Korunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:07   #26
Tactical Elite

Weird? Why other countries larger population less legal rights, have no problems with "replica's" nor Airsoft guns. Yet Canada seems difficult?
Different countries have airsoft guns all over, but yet no problems nor legal issues there. Asian for 1. Japan,Hongkong,China,Taiwan,Philipines,Thailand Etc..

Is it that Canada has too much restrictions regardless if it's a Replica,Airsoft or Cansoft?
Tactical Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:04   #27
DEATH2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Elite View Post
Weird? Why other countries larger population less legal rights, have no problems with "replica's" nor Airsoft guns. Yet Canada seems difficult?
Different countries have airsoft guns all over, but yet no problems nor legal issues there. Asian for 1. Japan,Hongkong,China,Taiwan,Philipines,Thailand Etc..

Is it that Canada has too much restrictions regardless if it's a Replica,Airsoft or Cansoft?
Airsoft was created in Japan due to their ultra-strict gun control laws. It was almost impossible to own a real firearm so several people created the next best thing which you know now as Airsoft. Take England for example, in 1997 they banned almost all firearms in the country. Its now almost impossible to own a real firearm, and its now difficult to own an airsoft gun as well. Take a look into the Violent Crime Reduction Act that was passed. They have more restrictions on them in those two countries then we do here.
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:32   #28
supermohawk

selling AEG's on ASC

Quote:
nope.. Possession of replicas is legal, no license required.

Transfer ( selling, trading, giving, loaning) is illegal though
So then if I were to sell a full metal AEG in ASC, then would I have to change the spring to bring the FPS above 400?
supermohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media