Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

WE AK-74U - was good, now bad

:

Reviews

Old July 13th, 2012, 18:11   #211
Disco_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
I think the theory is the heavier piston will not move back as far with the same amount of energy - more mass takes more energy to move therefore the rate of fire increases because the bolt only travels part of the way back. Keep in mind I still don't know what the recoil buffer is supposed to do and none of the sites that sell it will tell you!
I think without the rubber bit on the dynamic spring the bolt will still travel the full distance, and will thus have a slower rof with the heavier gas piston. I would welcome my tenous grasp of physics being corrected though

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 19:09   #212
Latvian291
a.k.a. Submachinehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco_Dante View Post
I think without the rubber bit on the dynamic spring the bolt will still travel the full distance, and will thus have a slower rof with the heavier gas piston. I would welcome my tenous grasp of physics being corrected though
Only if there is enough power to push the heavier piston all the way back.. after all it was designed to push a much lighter piston.

My guess before trying it was:
A) It will use much more gas to push the heavier bolt carrier back
OR
B) It will use the same amount of gas to push the carrier a much lesser distance.

I will try it out when I can and let you know
Old July 13th, 2012, 23:04   #213
turok_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco_Dante View Post
Hey Disco, the dynamic spring system does increase noticeable rate of fire and you can adjust it accordingly to use with/without the rubber for full travel. I have tried it myself. Installing on the heavier gas piston results in a similar ROF as the stock gas piston, not really any change....recoil is slightly harder though. I can make a video for you if you want.
turok_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 05:08   #214
Latvian291
a.k.a. Submachinehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok_t View Post
Installing on the heavier gas piston results in a similar ROF as the stock gas piston, not really any change....recoil is slightly harder though.
Good to know. Some data would be helpful. I don't have a chronometer. So in your opinion the purpose of the heavier gas piston is what? Slightly more recoil?
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:05   #215
Disco_Dante

Quote:
Hey Disco, the dynamic spring system does increase noticeable rate of fire and you can adjust it accordingly to use with/without the rubber for full travel. I have tried it myself. Installing on the heavier gas piston results in a similar ROF as the stock gas piston, not really any change....recoil is slightly harder though. I can make a video for you if you want.
A video would be interesting, but please don't go out of your way on my account! I'm almost certainly going to pick up the dynamic spring system anyways, but not the weighted gas piston.

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 21:56   #216
turok_t

Since RA-Tech WE AK trigger set is not made to spec to the stock trigger set, I had to do some modifications to the RA-Tech selector lever. As mentioned in my previous post, the selector lever isn't thick enough to engage the sear during full auto. As such, I made it thicker so it reliably engages the sear and won't be disengaged due to the recoil of the gun. I made sure that the added thickness runs flush and smooth with the RA-Tech selector with no gaps at all.

Last edited by turok_t; October 7th, 2017 at 11:32..
Old July 29th, 2012, 08:42   #217
Latvian291
a.k.a. Submachinehead

Quote:
Since RA-Tech WE AK trigger set is not made to spec to the stock trigger set, I had to do some modifications to the RA-Tech selector lever. As mentioned in my previous post, the selector lever isn't thick enough to engage the sear during full auto. As such, I made it thicker so it reliably engages the sear and won't be disengaged due to the recoil of the gun. I made sure that the added thickness runs flush and smooth with the RA-Tech selector with no gaps at all.

GOOD WORK! Can you explain in detail how you did this? Is it welded?
Old July 29th, 2012, 08:48   #218
Latvian291
a.k.a. Submachinehead

Also, as I had mentioned in my previous posts, the heavier gas piston does not seem to affect the rate of fire. Nice to have more steel in the gun, but to what end I do not know.

I am now buying a WE AK PMC so I can make myself a custom AKS-74 GBB by taking the front end of the PMC and adding the back end of the AKS-74U. Hopefully that works.
Old July 29th, 2012, 12:11   #219
turok_t

Used plexiglass and cyanoacrylate glue, filled in the gaps with the glue to form a continuous smooth surface. The surface is slightly slanted as can be noted in the pictures in order for it to ride smoothly on the disconnector during full auto
Old February 4th, 2013, 13:46   #220
GSK88

Just installed the Hephaestus AK Trigger Pack.

So far so good. Quality seems fine, no fitment issues. The hammer required a tiny bit of clean up, 30 seconds with a file to de-burr an edge.

Also comes with a steel version of the little lever that the bolt knocks forward, which the RA Tech set doesn't include. That piece took me a little while to figure out how to install... Which was all on my end...little tube that slides out had me stumped lol.
But all the parts went in without issue.

Compared to the RA Tech set, this one comes with that extra piece as well as being quite a bit cheaper. I've installed the RA Tech kit twice on two different AKs and the Hephaestus set on my current rifle. Due to cost, I will probably stick with Hephaestus from now on as it appears to be the same quality as the RA Tech one and includes the extra piece.

Hephaestus - $85 + tax
RA Tech - $115 + tax
Both from airsoftparts.ca

Will update if anything noteworthy happens, bad or good.

PM me if you have any questions, I usually forget to check threads for weeks at a time.
Old January 25th, 2014, 14:22   #221
schouine

Hello everyone, i dont want to start a new thread, so posting here. So after 4 years of playign airsoft, i decided to start with GAS. My choice was the ak74 un, from WE.

So, since, 2011, anything happened? Better internals, or still need to upgrade with better stuff when it break?

Ive read about a mag issue, cracks and stuff like that, is it just cosmetic of affect the mag, leaking??

About the upgrades, any ak parts from ra-tech or Hephaestus will fit in it? Do you need to be Nasa ingeneer to understand how it works? Is there schematics of the gun when you buy it?

Thanks! I keep reading you guys, really helped me in the past, and im sure it will in the future!!
schouine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 15:14   #222
Warnipple

How much would it cost to completely replace the internals of a WE AK?
Warnipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 15:25   #223
Latvian291
a.k.a. Submachinehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warnipple View Post
How much would it cost to completely replace the internals of a WE AK?
RA Tech kits usually cost in the neighborhood of $100
Latvian291 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews