Headset Mod's

:

Gear Discussion

Old February 1st, 2007, 21:23   #1
ex
Wanna buy some Nod's? #StolenValour

Headset Mod's

Hey Guy's.
Im looking for some help from you tech type wiz's. Is it possible to graft a Saber 1 accessory plug onto this headset? I have a lapel mic for my saber that I thought I could use to replace the Motorola accessory plug. Is this possible or is it a waste of money. I can solder and splice but I just dont know if this is a go or no go situation. Thanks for any help or advice you guys can offer.
http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper...C-MOTOD_srch_1
Old February 1st, 2007, 21:46   #2
HellRanger
Rest in Peace

Hey Bryan, I think you wanna get in touch with me

I have the real deal mod'ed for my KYD radio.
Old February 1st, 2007, 21:51   #3
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-royal View Post
Hey Guy's.
Im looking for some help from you tech type wiz's. Is it possible to graft a Saber 1 accessory plug onto this headset? I have a lapel mic for my saber that I thought I could use to replace the Motorola accessory plug. Is this possible or is it a waste of money. I can solder and splice but I just dont know if this is a go or no go situation. Thanks for any help or advice you guys can offer.
http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper...C-MOTOD_srch_1
Why do I get the impression I might have some headset splicing work headed my way shortly............... a second time from the same guy.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 02:27   #4
DuffMan

Send a message via ICQ to DuffMan Send a message via MSN to DuffMan
If you're going to be splicing and modding, you might as well get a real deal bowman or TASC-1

"He resisted. I asked him to comply."
"Telling him to 'eat it, bitch' is not really a request."
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:35   #5
THE CAT
Banned

Me too, I want to rig a Cavalvy into a Garmin Rino 110. I looked at some Bowman headset too. Both headsets need a modif. for the plug pins.
THE CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:18   #6
ex

Thanks guys. The Bowman/clansman option is there I just like this one because it comes with an Inline PTT, so no screwing around with that. My other option is the new Devgru Frogman headset but at more than twice the cost plus almost impossible to get the right version as they have one specificaly designed for the Saber 1. But Devgru don't answer emails and none of the stores that carry it seem to know anything about it and are unwilling to order it.
Cheers

Oh and Stalker if I run into any problems I'll give you a call, Thanks.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:04   #7
Ibby

Send a message via ICQ to Ibby
Yes, wiring up a headset like that is pretty simple. There are two options, depending on what you like best: 1) change the plugs on the drop cord to match whatever radio you're using or, 2) make an adapter to fit the headset as is to your radio. Some folks like the one over the other. It's just personal preference. I've done a lot of headsets for folks. The biggest thing is finding the radio pinouts and the headset schematics. Here's an average headset schematic:

This is for a Kenwood/Abell type radio. Icoms are similar but the mic wiring is reversed.

This is the rig I built for myself:

Bigmatty found the Otto Breeze headset in Ebay for $12, and the Radio Shack drop cord with the PTT and aux audio input was around $20 form the delete bin. I've since swapped the Icom radio for an Abell (Kenwood clone). I'm very happy with the setup. The aux audio input was just an afterthought, and after an idea from Batman I wound up putting an MP# player on the rig. You gotta do something when you're respawning.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:40   #8
SINN

Send a message via MSN to SINN
I have a single pin cobra headset...think I could splice that end on that toto set so I can use it on my FRS, plus keep the end for the motorla too?...so have two sets of plugs?
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:27   #9
Ibby

Send a message via ICQ to Ibby
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINN View Post
I have a single pin cobra headset...think I could splice that end on that toto set so I can use it on my FRS, plus keep the end for the motorla too?...so have two sets of plugs?
Yes it's generally simple enough to do this. It's great if you know the wiring, how the keying works etc. It's sometimes frustrating to try to make one style of headset connector work with a different type of radio if you don't know the wiring or how the keyline works. I have a Rino 120 as well as a real radio, and for the Rino I made an adapter so I could use the setup above with it. The downside is the Rino has no remote keying so you're stuck pressing the PTT on the radio.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:14   #10
ex

Thanks for all the great info guys.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:43   #11
Kimbo
formerly pivot

Yes, thanks man.

That was good info for me as well as I just bought a bowman knockoff.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion