Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Suggest Some Eye/Face Pro!

:

Gear Discussion

Old June 5th, 2017, 19:30   #1
Variant

Suggest Some Eye/Face Pro!

Looking to get some decent eye and face protection. I've heard mixed opinions on mesh face protection and want to know what everyone else thinks. It seems like the best option since it's light and still kind of protective.

Also what does everyone recommend for eye protection? Should I get a mask, or just goggles? And does anyone here know where I could get prescription eye protection?

Cheers!
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 20:04   #2
Freeze

Off the top of my head, I know that some goggles have prescription inserts which you just take to your eye doctor (can't remember the real term for that) and get some lenses made for it.

Can't say I've tried goggles, but I f***ing hate my masks to high hell because of the lack of ventilation.

Edit: The term is optometrist.
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 20:40   #3
DuffMan

Send a message via ICQ to DuffMan Send a message via MSN to DuffMan
For eye protection:
- Shooting glasses like Smith Aegis/Pivlock or Oakley M-Frame. Both have RX inserts available.
- Low-profile goggles like Boogie regulators and Revision Exoshields require some substantial modification to deal with fogging. Some of which defeats the compliance requirements of wearing full-seal anyway (like cut out bits of the foam). But these are necessary if your scope has shitty eye relief.
- If you wear full blown goggles, get the Revision Locust Fan or the Smith OTW Fan. There's really no reason not to.

For face protection:
I recently ran a game wearing a North 5500 after removing the filters and one-way valve.
- Breathing was not an issue for me. It didn't breathe as well as a mesh mask, but it never felt hard to breathe, even after sprinting.
- It does build up condensation like crazy, but it never felt uncomfortable. It's just kinda gross to dump out the condensed water after.
- I had noticeably fewer fogging problems than if I wasn't wearing it, particularly when my nose seal was good. I think that it's because it vents your breaths away down and to the side, so away from your eyes.
- Looks way cooler than a mesh mask

"He resisted. I asked him to comply."
"Telling him to 'eat it, bitch' is not really a request."

Last edited by DuffMan; June 5th, 2017 at 21:41..
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 21:16   #4
Variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
Off the top of my head, I know that some goggles have prescription inserts which you just take to your eye doctor (can't remember the real term for that) and get some lenses made for it.

Can't say I've tried goggles, but I f***ing hate my masks to high hell because of the lack of ventilation.

Edit: The term is optometrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
For eye protection:
- Shooting glasses like Smith Aegis/Pivlock or Oakley M-Frame. Both have RX inserts available.
- Low-profile goggles like Boogie regulators and Revision Exoshields require some substantial modification to deal with fogging. Some of which defeats the compliance requirements of wearing full-seal anyway (like cut out bits of the foam). But these are necessary if your scope has shitty eye relief.
- If you wear full blown goggles, get the Revision Locust Fan or the Smith OTW Fan. There's really no reason not to.

For face protection:
I recently ran a game wearing a North 5500 after removing the filters and one-way valve. - Breathing was not an issue for me. It didn't breathe as well as a mesh mask, but it never felt hard to breathe, even after sprinting.
- It does build up condensation like crazy, but it never felt uncomfortable. It's just kinda gross to dump out the condensed water after.
- I had noticeably fewer fogging problems than if I wasn't wearing it, particularly when my nose seal was good. I think that it's because it vents your breaths away down and to the side, so away from your eyes.
- Looks way cooler than a mesh mask
Thanks for the replies. I have an optometrist appointment soon so I should probably chat with my doctor about what she knows about this.

Running a respirator? Looks like anarchy! Thats actually really cool but not exactly what I'm going for. Thanks for the eye pro suggestions as well, I will take that into consideration.
Old June 5th, 2017, 22:34   #5
devbro

your doctor probably does not know. I run a revision desert locust. You can get them pretty cheap on ebay. The prescription insert is a bit hard to get. I got mine from amazon. If it is in backorder, still order and wait. Your doctors probably won't know about it but once you give them the insert, they know what to do. You may run into fogging issue, specially on your prescription lenses. see if you can attach a fan or get fan model.

For face protection, you are basically down to protecting your nose and teeth. Mesh mask is hard enough to protect and soft enough to reshape. they will be hard to fit so be ready for that. I use the big model to protect my ears as well. I literally want no injury to my face.
VFC M4 MK18
CYMA AK47
TM MP5 First gen Rare find
TM MP5A5 with swordfish 2004
devbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 09:56   #6
gonzala

I suggest going somewhere and actually trying different goggles on, some people don't like the rubber surround on the deserts locust but I found it didn't bother me. Also if you have a flat face you may need Asian fit goggles
gonzala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 15:34   #7
Variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by devbro View Post
your doctor probably does not know. I run a revision desert locust. You can get them pretty cheap on ebay. The prescription insert is a bit hard to get. I got mine from amazon. If it is in backorder, still order and wait. Your doctors probably won't know about it but once you give them the insert, they know what to do. You may run into fogging issue, specially on your prescription lenses. see if you can attach a fan or get fan model.

For face protection, you are basically down to protecting your nose and teeth. Mesh mask is hard enough to protect and soft enough to reshape. they will be hard to fit so be ready for that. I use the big model to protect my ears as well. I literally want no injury to my face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzala View Post
I suggest going somewhere and actually trying different goggles on, some people don't like the rubber surround on the deserts locust but I found it didn't bother me. Also if you have a flat face you may need Asian fit goggles
devbro, thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at the Amazon prices.

gonzala, I'm not sure where I could go and try on goggles and masks around my area. I'll check around though, thanks for the suggestion!
Old June 11th, 2017, 02:35   #8
NoGear
likes being humiliated

I use bullet ants and remove the foam. Its held up for a good 2 years and some days i dont fog during the rain and fog when its a clear day. It works well with a metal mesh mask. Its saved my eyes after 20+ rounds so its paid for itself
NoGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 15:23   #9
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

I also like the Bullet Ants as an option to ballistic glasses if you have to run full-deal. Stamped metal is safe and metal mesh is hit or miss, but both WILL have a negative impact on your eye sight.
Old June 12th, 2017, 05:47   #10
Amoki

Do you run shooting glasses or goggles?

Shooting glasses: I highly recommend ESS Crossbow with te VICE inserts. The Oakley M-frame with U-Rx insert sits too much in front of my (Asian) face. But the beauty of the U-Rx is that it will work with the ESS Profile Turbofans.
Amoki is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion