Newbie Tank

Old February 13th, 2011, 19:16   #16
Shrike
ASC Philosopher

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leor View Post
I heard they were okay...
I didn't know they were bad, I heard the quality isn't the best but oh well.
I know I should listen but I really wanted this sniper.
If this screws up that'll teach me xD

FYI a sniper is a person who takes a sniping role.

A sniper rifle is a gun.

You seem intent on not listening to what everyone is telling you. Another consideration is that many games in the area will not allow you to play as a sniper until you get some experience and maybe take some lessons (ie. sniper clinic)

Good luck with your impatient purchase.
Old February 13th, 2011, 19:45   #17
Leor

Send a message via MSN to Leor
No I understand them.
Think about this: You're starting a brand new sport, you have no idea if you'll like it, why the heck would you blow anymore then 200$ let alone more then 100$...people are saying to spend 400$ on a sport I've never seen aside from on Youtube.

Now if everyone is so against me getting a sniper rifle. So, I'm defiantly not going to buy anything over 200$, So now the question lies in between getting a Aftermath Knight or an Aftermath Kraken.

Both are on this site: http://www.cabelas.ca/store/?section...#productanchor

Now if people don't feel like flaming me, I'd appreciate some feedback.

PS: Im still in High School so I don't have any income like most of you.

Last edited by Leor; February 13th, 2011 at 19:46.. Reason: Missed something
Leor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 20:03   #18
scurvythepirate

Kraken has better reviews, hell there is a whole thread on the damn gun.
Old February 13th, 2011, 20:22   #19
VooDooPeteK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leor View Post
No I understand them.
Think about this: You're starting a brand new sport, you have no idea if you'll like it, why the heck would you blow anymore then 200$ let alone more then 100$...people are saying to spend 400$ on a sport I've never seen aside from on Youtube.

Now if everyone is so against me getting a sniper rifle. So, I'm defiantly not going to buy anything over 200$, So now the question lies in between getting a Aftermath Knight or an Aftermath Kraken.

Both are on this site: http://www.cabelas.ca/store/?section...#productanchor

Now if people don't feel like flaming me, I'd appreciate some feedback.

PS: Im still in High School so I don't have any income like most of you.
Get a kraken ak but don't get the cheapest one you can.

The reason why people are telling you to spend more on a gun or not start with a sniper is that you will be disappointed at a game if you have a gun that gets out ranged but everyone thing else out there.

You say you want to see if you like it first but thats going to be hard if you are getting owned right????

would you buy a chevette and take it to the races to see if its something you like?

Same thing with every sport. Now if you want to see if you will enjoy it and want to drop the cash into the sport then see if your local field or players rent guns. Then you can try a bunch out with minimal costs and go from there.
VooDooPeteK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 20:26   #20
Redzephyr

If you insist on the two hundred dollar pricepoint, get the Kraken. There are some lemons, but by and large they seem to be pretty okay for the most part. Do not expect super great quality; they are low-priced for a reason... but they work (provided you don't get a lemon, of course) they're sturdy enough, and probably most important they'll take upgrades if you want to go that route.

If I can try one more time to dissuade you... For four hundred dollars, even three hundred, you can get a metal CYMA, JG, or something similar in the lower-end manufacturers. Sometimes CAs and TMs dip between three and four hundred, even.

Let me finish. I know you don't want to spend too much getting into a sport when you're not even sure you'll enjoy it. I understand that fully, which is honestly why I recommend springing the little bit more money.
Let's say you drop $350 on for example a CYMA AK of some sort, with a few mags and a battery. You're good to game with that right away, just buy some BBs (a pack of BBBastards is like ten bucks), find a game, and go.
One of two things happens at this game: You either enjoy yourself, in which case you have a good starter package, or you find that airsoft isn't really for you... in which case you can come straight on home, post up a thread on the classifieds, and you can sell that AK for the same amount of money that you paid for it. You will likely not recoup your losses with an Aftermath gun because nobody browsing the classifieds here really wants one.

I bought a clearsoft G&G AK before I was AVed and had it be a lemon. I could throw in a new set of gears and toss it up on the classifieds, but I can't bring myself to lose two hundred dollars on that immensely stupid purchase. Call me stubborn.

Point is, think about this in more ways than just how much you're spending. You're worried about not liking the sport, that's fine. With that in mind, think about how much money you'll be able to get back selling that equipment should you find it's not for you.

Just the way I see it.
Redzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 20:36   #21
Leor

Alright well I can't get into the classifieds cause I'm not 18 yet.
I checked on Craigslist in Toronto and this is the things I came up with:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/spo/2187154809.html
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/tag/2186546162.html
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/yrk/spo/2180661007.html
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/yrk/spo/2180656905.html

Well choose away, I'm not finding anything cheaper then this, and buying from stores or sites charge shipping and taxes so it blows the price up 100$ if not more.
Old February 13th, 2011, 20:41   #22
Redzephyr

I know you can't get into them yet; if you're three weeks from 18, I'd say wait. It's a whole 'nother world, man.

If I had to choose from the four listed, I'd take the TM P90 hands down. Still recommend waiting (especially considering you'll have trouble getting into games until you're 18, anyhow, so being impatient when you're so close is kinda silly) but if I had to choose from those, it'd be the P90. Will easily hold its value provided it's in good condition.
Old February 13th, 2011, 20:54   #23
Leor

Not 3 weeks, I'm 3 months away. My Birthday is May 21st.
Old February 13th, 2011, 20:57   #24
Redzephyr

Oh, durrh, I misread that. Sorry. Even still, it's worth the wait.

I'm curious... are you a paintballer looking to try making the jump?
Old February 13th, 2011, 21:01   #25
Leor

Haha, no I'm not. Just some soon to be 18 year old wanting to try airsofting.
Old February 13th, 2011, 21:04   #26
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post
FYI a sniper is a person who takes a sniping role.

A sniper rifle is a gun.

You seem intent on not listening to what everyone is telling you. Another consideration is that many games in the area will not allow you to play as a sniper until you get some experience and maybe take some lessons (ie. sniper clinic)

Good luck with your impatient purchase.
For the record, MOST fields will allow a noob to use a sniper rifle if they choose to, as long as it's under the maximum fps limits aka. 450fps. If a noob shows up his first day with an upgraded 400fps AEG he bought second hand, he's allowed to use it, but will likely cause some complaints due to surprised trigger finger at close range on full auto. Personally I'd bitch more about a stream of 400fps BBs to the face at 40ft than a single BB hit same distance. Is why snipers are allowed an extra 50fps maximum, less damage involved.

So if the OP wants a sniper rifle as his first gun, I back him on that and he can decide rather quickly if it's thing or not. As long as it's under field limits and he knows what he's getting into, all the more power to him, he will either fail miserably or do ok enough to continue on that path without feeling the need to sell the rifle for money to get an AEG instead. Don't discourage or put down, just warn, explain and see what the outcome is. Chances are high the OP won't be showing up with a 450fps rifle first few games anyways due to money constraints (can't afford upgrades or service to install), so let him be on his choice. He'll learn something from it in the end.

Agreed though, calling a rifle a sniper is annoying, pure video game influence there, where you choose the sniper character and he comes with a bolt action rifle. Annoying as fuck, but hey, that's the way kids tend to be these days and the way they are taught. Too few people these days know that a sniper is originally a term to describe an extremely skilled marksman. A snipe is a small fast moving bird, the word sniper came from a reference to the marksmen that were able to shoot the snipe out of the air while flying. Hence the term sniper, is the person and skill level, not the weapon itself. I can snipe with gum, or even spitting really, it doesn't matter, if you can hit what you aim at consistantly, you have skill.

Last edited by CDN_Stalker; February 13th, 2011 at 21:15..
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 21:07   #27
Redzephyr

Fair enough. Was just going to say that if you enjoyed paintballing you'd love airsoft, if that were the case.

See if you can't find a game to go out to. You may not be able to play, but if you show up, and act maturely, and are a generally good guy, people will likely not have a problem letting you check out their kit, and if you play your cards right, you can probably get a bit of shooting in. Some (and I have to stress some) fields/groups will make exceptions to the 18+ to play rule... but you must prove yourself to them.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank