Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Yukon/Pulsar NVG on a Rhino arm?

:

Gear Discussion

Old June 23rd, 2011, 16:56   #1
mmmken

Yukon/Pulsar NVG on a Rhino arm?

Hi there,

I have a Pulsar Gen1+ NVG that I wanted to mount on a Rhino arm to a helmet. The only problem is I noticed that the mounting method on the arm looks like a slot with a notch, when the NVG only has a tripod screw hole.

I'm not sure how the PVS-14 mounts on, but I think there is an arm that bridges these two methods that looks like a J-arm. Where would I obtain something like this? I haven't been able to find one except for buying a dummy PVS-14 and taking the arm - but that's almost $100.
Old June 24th, 2011, 00:59   #2
swatt13
Captain Awesome

picked mine up off ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven
a Systema PTW is like KD, where the noodles are plated in gold and the cheese sauce is actually a pool of hot naked women.
swatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 22:15   #3
terrorist one

I know this is an old thread, maybe someone can help.

Does the J-ARM PVS-14 work on a Yukon NVG? I have a the NVMT 4 and want to mount a rhino mount to my ops core helmet. Can't figure out how to mount the NVG to the obscure.

Please help me.

Thanks
terrorist one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 22:21   #4
Danke

I tried it with a fake J-arm and it's not so good. It doesn't really hold the NVG in the right spot. It sorta almost works enough to get your hopes up and then it just doesn't.

Don't know if the real one is better. It just seemed like the geometry of where the threads on the unit are vs. how the arm sits in the mount are too far off spec.
Old April 28th, 2014, 23:06   #5
terrorist one

Darn, any other suggestions?
Old April 28th, 2014, 23:19   #6
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Personally I wouldn't recommend running gen1 on a helmet anyway, but that's just my personal opinion =p

There's no real way to keep it steady on the J-arm either, PVS-14s have a short slot in them next to the screw hole which corresponds with a short ridge on the J-arm. This keeps it from shifting side to side without the use of two mounting holes.

The yukon has two mounting holes, but no conversion arm for a rhino mount
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 00:25   #7
Danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrorist one View Post
Darn, any other suggestions?
Get your wife lots of nice gifts and start saving up for a PVS-14.

Be happy the panoramic stuff isn't for sale to the public yet.

Then when cash is in your pocket start lurking her for the fall deals to pop up.
Old April 29th, 2014, 00:58   #8
terrorist one

How much would one need to save up for such a sweet thing (PVS-14)?
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:03   #9
ThunderCactus

around $3000 lol
Better off with a gen2 unit that's PVS-14 compatible, like a night optics D300-MS which is anywhere from $1200-$1500, it's hard to nail down a price on the low end gen2 tubed unit. Doesn't help I was never really looking for one either (I got the $2200 model with the significantly better tube)
Old April 29th, 2014, 03:03   #10
terrorist one

2k ish is what i am expecting to pay i figure. The more i read the more i know i will be making the jump soon
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:15   #11
kaiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrorist one View Post
2k ish is what i am expecting to pay i figure. The more i read the more i know i will be making the jump soon
Rough cost imo after taxes/shipping from what I've seen in Canada/Overseas (non-US)...

Obviously you can get it cheaper, and I've seen cheaper, but they are used or they have some issues or have lower grade tubes.

Thermals
~$800 DIY, otherwise ~$1200-$15000+

You've got the cheap DIY stuff where people use the thermals from used scrapped cars (people state online they get it as cheap as $50 too...) Then you got ready to use options such as the FLIR PS24 with only 9 frames per second with poor eye relief, or you've got really expensive options too.

Digital Night Vision
Unknown... I bought my iGen's for $250 on eBay.

- Without IR, it has pretty bad passive and almost useless. You can negate this by turning down your frames per second, but then it becomes only usable from a static position similar to a scope for spotting. IR illumination helps this alot for sure, and you easily get amazing resolution as well as AV output and the ability to take pictures directly onto an SD card. Runs off 4 AA's.
- There are better digital night vision supposedly, but I have never tried those ones.

Gen 3
$3000 to $4000 or even more.

e.g. PVS 14, turns night into day , the higher end units have auto-gating and other nice features obviously and work much better in dynamic environments I guess.

Higher end Gen 2 (more specifically better resolution, and tubes like the Photonis which I find are brighter/clearer *can still have lower grade quality though with blemishes*)
$2000 - $3000

e.g. D300 Gen2+ HP, or other Gen2s using stuff Photonis tubes etc... I believe the store that was selling the D300 Gen2+ HP in Canada closed down though... Price was around $2000 after taxes and shipping? (don't remember). Personally if I had the choice all over again, I feel I should have went Gen2+ mainly because the resolution difference alone makes a huge difference imo...

Gen 2
$1500 - $2000

e.g. D300 MS came out to around $1500 after taxes/shipping for me duty free since its made in USA and uses a US made tube. In country, I see other Gen 2s go for around $1800, so it's better to just buy from the US if this is what you're going for.
- Gen1 Cascades actually are just slightly worse performance from what I've seen. But it may also be due to being in the city, there's so much light pollution that even cheap Gen1s have no problems seeing at night in the city*.

Mounts
Wilcox ~$450+ (Much less effort to use than Rhino, and a lower profile, although Norotos INVG has the lowest profile)
AKA2 ~$250+
USGI Rhino $50-$150

Arms
J-Arm ~$50
Wilcox Dovetail Arm ~$200+ (Way more stable than the USGI route, hard to explain until you try it yourself lol)

Class 1 IR Lasers
~$100-$3500+

e.g. You've got the cheap beamshots, the cmr pistol ir lasers, or you can move up to more expensive itals/dbals/etc... You can use them similar to IR illuminators but let's you stay more covert, or you can use them to designate targets or aim.

IR Illuminators
~$100+ for decent ones

e.g.
- You can go with basic IR filters, change your flashlight head, or you can go with custom IR T20s, Inforce WMLs, etc...
- Indoors where it's pitch black with almost no ambient light, even Gen3's will need some IR illumination.
- NVGs will always have trouble seeing into the treeline, so an IR illuminator would be good if you're not afraid of giving away your position to other nvg users (even a Gen1 will see this like a bright spotlight).

Mounting Platform
~$100-$1000+

e.g. The sky's the limit on your helmet choice lol...
- I've used a repro PASGT with Oregon strapping system and real one-hole NVG mount. Works OK'ish, counterweight 100% required.
- I've used a Pro-tec Bravo with Ops Core VAS Shroud, works OK'ish again...
- I've used a commercial headmount from Night Optics, and tbh, this worked and felt more stable/nicer than both the above, and it only cost like $70 bucks. However, I had all the straps set on the loosest since my head's pretty big.
- I now use a repro FAST Ballistic helmet (Premium Dragonred Brand) with a real Ops Core VAS Shroud, and it works so well that I don't necessarily need a counterweight, although it does help still a bit. Obviously a real Ops Core FAST helmet would be nicer heh, but those are like $600+, you can opt for the real Ops Core Base Jump helmet though for around $250.

Last edited by kaiu; April 29th, 2014 at 16:01.. Reason: Incorrectly labelled Gen 2s, based it originally on how I personally viewed the difference between the lower andhigher end
kaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:33   #12
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
+1^

For everything you will need between a helmet with properly spec'd mounts, monocular, laser, and illuminator you are looking at around $3k+.
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:25   #13
terrorist one

3k, sounds like a winter project. Does anyone recommend scoutebasecamp? They have Gen2 in stock at reasonable prices.
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:53   #14
FirestormX

Thanks for that post, kaiu!
FirestormX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 15:12   #15
ThunderCactus

theres no "gen2" and "gen2+"
all gen2 tubes produced after like 1980 are gen2+. its a technological improvement in manufacture, not a matter of performance. if the manufacturer doesnt specify gen2+, you can safely assume it is.
the differences are in the tubes, specifically their quality.
like processors, tubes are subject to manufacturing flaws. the top 10% will be HPs and the noisier tubes will be the MS and retail for less.
so its not just a matter of generation, but theres a wise quality margin reflected by price as well.
just as you can get shitbox or clear as day gen1, you can get gen3 thats comparable to high end gen2 and still costs more.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion