Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Spoon feed me information

:

Newbie Tank

Old October 15th, 2019, 13:28   #1
naminator

Spoon feed me information

So long time on again off again on again off again on again player.

I started playing in 2008, with shitty clearsoft back in the dark ages of airsoft in Canada. I slowly cycled through a variety of platforms (M16->HK416->G3->MP5(s)->RPK). I also played with a huge variety of brands from G&G to JG, TM, Classic Army and most recently (like 2014) KJW and King Arms. I was rocking a KA M4 and a KJW Kc02 which, I will forever miss.

I am considering getting back into Airsoft for 2020... My first thought is to just get another KC02, HPA tap it and mod it up in the way I want or get a KJW M700/AAC21 or whatever.

However I am still thinking about getting an AEG. I watch the occasional Airsoft video on youtube and see people rocking super high ROF AEGs and the like. Versus my 2013 or older KA, this stuff makes my gun look like those old clearsoft walmart springers. Whats some of the brands to look out for on the classifieds or the like.
Were you maybe expecting 1+1 = donut?
naminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2019, 13:44   #2
Datawraith

-VFC AR15 or LCT AK
-BTC Spectre mosfet (or Chimera for AKs, some people like GATE Titans or Jefftron Leviathans. If you're feeling cheap, a 3034 mosfet will let you use 11.1v lipo batteries but your trigger won't be able to be shimmed)
-Siegetek 10.44:1 or SHS 13:1 single sector gears
-ASG or Tienly motor (tbh, I can't really help you out with the motor choices)
-other gearbox work done to keep up with the above (piston, piston head, nozzle, etc)
-rhop barrel grouping (was rhopping around when you left? If it wasn't, hooo boy, you're in for a shock at how consistently far and accurate AEGs can get their groupings to be now)

-work done by reputable techs (Z/pestobanana, xevous, EOD Steve if you can find examples of his work)

Most of the stuff you see is probably pretty heavily upgraded, sometimes with dual sector gears (DSG). A lot of techs around southern Ontario though don't really do DSG work anymore due to a few issues with it (reliability, part wear, pretty unnecessary). I'm getting around 35 rps from a single sector gear build which is plenty. More than that and you just overshoot people.

I've heard the EVO Scorpions being pretty good out of the box, but no first hand experience. If you like KCs, just get a KC and pimp it out with Rogueworx parts; it's crazy how much aftermarket support they are giving the platform. They're on holiday right now, but they make bolt carriers, pistons, hopup units, everything to turn it into a monster.

Last edited by Datawraith; October 15th, 2019 at 13:50..
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2019, 14:07   #3
naminator

35 RPS.... my god.

I have been looking at the EVO scorpions. I remember LCT being a great brand and VFC being mid range depending on what you got. RHopping was definitely around.

As for the KC02, I had one with the tophatrunner VSR chamber, an edgi barrel, KF Aluminum Piston (the OG ones before RW) and a hand full of other off the shelf mods. I am honestly still just looking at the KC02 with tha Tanuki MP5 adapter, a full kit of RW's parts and a Hogue/Magpull X22 stock. I always wanted to do an IDF Kneecapper, but the supresor was always the road block.
Old October 15th, 2019, 16:24   #4
Ratters

ak mind meld

This line of suggestion does not in any way undermine your years in the sport or your experience. When I saw "AK" mentioned I was thinking "OOOH! and opportunity for me to type something on my boring, uneventful day off.

My thoughts are If you want a solidly built, authentic AK (and) I agree, sort of, regarding LCT's and my "sort of" is ONLY based on my analinus towards "true" or as close as they can get authenticity of the model of aeg, GBBR and any airsoft piece in general, including performance.

E&L Gen 1's are great build platforms, LCT Ak's are also solid platforms and once set up right it will become old faithful. BUT if you are REALLY picky around micro detail then VFC ("Soviet") Real Sword (CHICOM) or E&L ("Soviet") (Meister Arms / Spartan Arms) are the way to go imho.

LCT being the Soviet era, Russian Federation era and Romanian (Semi-EX-Eastern Bloc) line of AK variants as I understand it but do use allen head bolts instead of rivets in their trigger guard. I know, who cares right? haters be hatin'

anyway,

Gen 1/2 AND VFC AK's are all (as I understand) riveted with no allen head screws on the exterior. VFC AK's, if you can find one have the selector notches in the correct location and are a 1:1 copy.

VFC magazines are also the correct length with the correct markings including the loaded mag indicator hole and rear spines with the Izhmash logo, I'm in reference to the black midcaps. The magazines are also the bolstered type and they are needed to prevent sloppiness in the magwell obviously.

The VFC 74 magazines also fit E&L AK's extremely well and the exterior finish is beautifully replicated in terms of gloss and smooth finish. The finish is similar to GHK 74 mags. Other magazines are available with similar detail but my top score will always go to VFC in terms of authentic replication.

One unfortunate thing to consider is VFC magazines will NOT fit LCT and vice versa without modifications and from my experience LCT plastic magazines tend to be brittle. LCT magazines WILL fit E&L AK's but with major modifications that may, in some cases further reduce the strength of it and wind up in that spare parts bin.

E&L Gen 1 AEGs do not come with the one-piece cylinder/cylinder head which has been well documented to have QC and airseal issues plus you may pick up a gen 1 for less than a gen 2 if you can find one. In terms of realism and dimensions of the mags I would take midcap VFC-74's over others. This will stir up a debate I'm sure.

Be aware that if you upgrade a Gen 1 you will need the LONG type nozzle with the short type cylinder head.

Sometimes the least expensive aeg with the right improvements will have you come out as last player standing. It takes one hit to make a kill and whether it's a cheap AEG or a gold gilded head turner the main objective in my opinion is having a good time and feeling like Rambo at the end of a skirmish

Regarding pistols I found the most reliable to be TM and KSC. Some plastics are more prone to breaking or cracking. KWA although solid tend to have super finniky hop-ups and adjustments can be a serious pita. I believe a non-blowback pistol might be lacking in realism but favorable for reliability and more consistent fps but this again is debatable and who doesn't like the realism of blowback?

I could ramble on and on but I won't. Bottom line is go with what you like after research, make sure parts are available and enjoy the build.

Last edited by Ratters; October 15th, 2019 at 16:28.. Reason: added info
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2019, 16:43   #5
naminator

I got the pistol covered. One of maybe 3 or 4 pieces of gear I hung onto. Its a Cyma 030 or G18C AEP. Its upgrade with literally every bit I could get, except for one thing, which is the motor/pinion. Eventually I will source the upgraded motor and pinion (both come from RC Slot cars) and have an absolute monster on my hands.

List of mods:

Cyma Gears (Objectively better than the TM ones)
Nine Ball Barrel, Bucking and Piston head
Steel Bearings from an RC Helicopter (replaced the stock plastic bushings)
7.4v Lipo (replacing the stock Nicad shit fest battery)
Upgraded the stock wiring

Unfortunately they aren't meant to have an upgraded spring and one was never made. Once I get the right Pinion and motor, I can further push the ROF of the G18c. Its accurate, quiet and runs all day, even with heavy usage.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank