Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Diving in with two feet... What next?

:

Newbie Tank

Old January 15th, 2015, 19:04   #31
Sequential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aper View Post
So basically you've been here since 2006 and yet have no effing clue what's up ?
Probably a minor.
Old January 15th, 2015, 21:01   #32
WinnipegDragon

No I did my age verification already and it just hasn't been updated here yet.

As I mentioned earlier I am coming back to this after having a couple of kids. They are old enough now that I have some spare time again.
WinnipegDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 21:19   #33
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Congrats on your family, and welcome to airsoft. There's been a lot of decent info here, sprinkled with some abrasive attitude. You'll have to forgive us as we get endless posts from people who refuse to follow rules and research. Everything you want to know will be unlocked when you AV status clears, that's another reason the system helps for the most part.

Here's some wisdom for you, hopefully it will help. When you get your AV starus you'll be able to see way more Canadian retailers. Some retailers are way over expensive and others are very reasonable, not a lot inbetween in this country. For instance buying the pistol I own out my way is around $400 - $450, buying online from another province was $280 - $350. See?

Another piece of advice is to figure out the culture of your local groups before buying all of your gear. Many places have minimum requirements on safety gear before you play. If you're on a budget it's better to have something that opens up as many doors as possible for you. Eyewear is a common issue, for example ballistic versus ANSI, or glasses versus full seal.

Always buy quality, and prioritize your purchases. You'll want quality boots and BDUs before night vision, or a radio and headset before you buy a third gun, etc.

Just some advice.
Old January 15th, 2015, 21:26   #34
WinnipegDragon

No worries, I've been on the internet a long time so a little attitude isn't going to bother me.

The point of this post was really about prioritizing purchases so that I could be ready to play in a variety of environments. Footwear and eyewear are covered, I have an AEG and a sidearm, next I'll be rounding out my kit for carrying my mags and getting a holster, green BDU and sling for the AEG. Basically what ShelledPants posted in round out what I already have.

Last edited by WinnipegDragon; January 15th, 2015 at 21:35..
Old January 15th, 2015, 21:37   #35
Ricochet

Those are all good purchases. I personally wouldn't recommemd a CO2 pistol, they generally shoot really hot, and you own it as a close range/secondary. Get it chrono'd right away. Get good quality, light weight and comfy boots. I'd recommend mountain, jungle, or of course combat boots.
Old January 15th, 2015, 22:02   #36
L473ncy

If you want quality BDU's the UR Tactical stuff is good and Crye is top of the line.

I bought the Team Soldier Multicam BDU's (kind of tan/green, it's designed as a transitional pattern) off armysurplusworld. If you want green Multicam Tropic, you're going to have to go with TruSpec (good stuff for what it is) UR Tactical (mid-high end) or Crye (high end).

OR if you don't want that pattern and get straight olive drab from a surplus store that's good enough (or Flecktarn is a good pattern as is US Woodland, Russian patterns, or the Danish M82 is kind of like an analogue version of CADPAT in my eyes, and whatever else there is out there)

$150 shipped to my door for the Team Soldier Multicam (transitional) IIRC. Will be a bit more for you because the dollar is a bit weaker (~80 cents on the dollar)

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/prod...roductID=47086
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/prod...roductID=54078

Same with what Ricochet says don't get a CO2 pistol unless you can use greengas mags in it, and if you do get a greengas pistol it might have high flow valves on the mags to get it legal to bring in, so if you are shooting a bit hot (for a pistol for CQB or engaging below MED's) you might just need to get some regular valves on it.
Old January 15th, 2015, 22:18   #37
Sequential

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegDragon View Post

As I mentioned earlier I am coming back to this after having a couple of kids. They are old enough now that I have some spare time again.
Congrats! Welcome back to the community then
Old January 16th, 2015, 07:22   #38
WinnipegDragon

My indoor field cleared the pistol already, they allow CO2 since the arena is pretty cold for a good chunk of the year and green gas tends not to work very well. The pistol is a dual gas version though so I can change it up when needed.

I'll look into the BDUs that you mentioned, L473ncy. SgtDirtNapps is also local to me so I'll check out their stuff.
Old January 16th, 2015, 07:35   #39
Rusty Lugnuts
Fainting Goat, Dictator of Quinte West

Quote:

You might want to contact your verifier,(esp. if its been a while) because your not on the waiting list
Rusty Lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 08:11   #40
Ricochet

Who was your verifier?
Old January 16th, 2015, 09:08   #41
WinnipegDragon

Priest did my AV. I met with him January 2nd.

I'm pretty sure he logged in a did whatever he needed to do on his phone while we were at Tims.
Old January 16th, 2015, 10:54   #42
L473ncy

Quote:
My indoor field cleared the pistol already, they allow CO2 since the arena is pretty cold for a good chunk of the year and green gas tends not to work very well. The pistol is a dual gas version though so I can change it up when needed.

I'll look into the BDUs that you mentioned, L473ncy. SgtDirtNapps is also local to me so I'll check out their stuff.
Ahh... right you got the KP-08 and I mentioned that in a post on the first page. If it's fine for your indoor field then great. However like I said they do shoot a bit hot on a fresh CO2 capsule then normalize down to more reasonable levels.

And like the others said make sure your AV guy submitted your info correctly and follow up. When I did mine I just sent a quick message to verify that he did and got everything spelled correctly and whatnot (spelling mistakes do happen and people also do forget to update).

But thanks for being patient. I guess it comes with the maturity and the fact that you do have a bunch of stuff already and can afford to wait. You've been on the internet, I'm sure you've seen people who want everything now and aren't willing to wait.
Old January 16th, 2015, 10:59   #43
WinnipegDragon

Yeah you learn patience once you have helped potty train a couple of kids

I also moderate on the largest Detroit Lions fan site on the web, and run one of my own for tabletop wargaming. Forum stuff is second nature to me at this point.

I've dropped PrIeSt a PM and hopefully he'll follow up shortly.
Old January 16th, 2015, 13:41   #44
Slodin

If it's not mentioned...get a good pair of knee pads...
I didn't have one pair before and after a few matches, my knee start to hurt I didn't even hit it hard..just kneeling and shooting. It lasted a week before going away..
Old January 17th, 2015, 20:32   #45
WinnipegDragon

Going shopping tomorrow. I have quite a list O_o Any thoughts on choosing AOR2 as my camo? I've kind of fond of it.

Grabbed a drop leg holster at the military surplus place this week too.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank