Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

finish removal.

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old July 11th, 2015, 19:37   #1
siggypoo

finish removal.

What liquids would work best for scrub-free (or reduced scrubbing) to loosen up the varied gun finishes?
I've had some parts where a quick soak in TSP would remove all the finish perfectly. I've had other parts where even a soak in acetone or cream paint stripper didn't soften the finish. Sometimes I've used toilet bowl cleaner with good effect.
What do you guys think would work best for the widest varieties of metal?
Before I get flamed, I'm only wanting to loosen, lift, or dissolve finishes. Some things I've tried have produced pitting (I've experimented only on my own guns), but I watch the process closely and buff the components to a silky finish with no ill effects. Most often I polish a bolt to produce a nice contrast with the dark receiver.
At the moment I'm trying to customize the finish of my KJW 229 to be like the real P14-45 I had years ago: Blued slide, stainless frame, cocobolo wood grips.
Removing that black finish tho...

So, what non-scrubbing solutions would you suggest work on the widest range of finishes and metals?

Common sense is so rare it should be a super power.
- DeeJay
Old July 11th, 2015, 21:02   #2
Saxon79

Maybe try ultra sonic cleaning? I had a buddy clean the carb on a motorbike & it took off all sorts of nastiness.
Saxon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 23:33   #3
localfreerider
willing to perform services in a dark alley that may or may not leave you satisfied for a title. GFE = 1, looks = 2, BBFS for an extra $50.

I stripped and painted a bicycle with automotive paint stripper, it was a thick goop that had some gnarly warnings. It said to wear head to toe protective gear and not breath the fumes. We did it in shorts and got a bit on my buddy leg and it didn't take long for him to start screaming like a little girl. worked really well though, cooked the paint like bacon!
localfreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 16:35   #4
danhay

Believe it or not but oven cleaner is also pretty handy at removing paint finishes and anodized aluminum finishes. Liberally coat the thing-to-be-stripped in foaming oven clean and then seal it in a plastic bag for an hour or so. Rinse with water and wash any residue off with your cleaner of choice (I use dish soap) and you are good to go.

Mind you, I have no idea if oven cleaner eats pot-metal but I know it does not eat plastic, Al and steel.
danhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 21:21   #5
siggypoo

Yup, I've used oven cleaner on gun parts before. And yah, it can damage pot metal if left for too long. I leave it on long enough to soften and lift the finish a bit, then wash it off and scrub the loosened finish off. It doesn't work for all finishes though. But, for this project, I hadn't thought of it. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder.
More input is welcome, guys.

Common sense is so rare it should be a super power.
- DeeJay

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications