Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Crazy Hi Torque Gearbox From Scratch

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old March 15th, 2009, 11:39   #16
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

I've never EVER seen KM's TN coating flake, on barrels or cylinders otherwise. In fact, I don't even know if it's a coating or if it's electrically bonded to the material. In any case, I've always found it to be a rather hard wearing, self lubricating and durable product.

I'm sure if you CUT the product and introduced an edge in to the coating, then yes, that would be an entry point for the material to begin flaking. I've seen it happen with some other coated barrels, but I've never attempted to cut a TN barrel before.

I use to run an M120S spring through a TN cylinder for several years. In the end, I dismantled the gun and sold all the parts off individually, the cylinder still looked brand new.

How many metal teeth does the G&P polyacetal have?
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 13:42   #17
Dragate

Ya, actually, in comparison KM TN cylinders aren't THAT expensive...
Barely 26 bux, and the modify one for sale by juggz is around 15... 11 bux plus like 1 usd on average of shipping cuz of my huge ass order from ehobby.

Hm, now that you put it that way, i'm debating between prometheus inner barrel at 407mm or KM tn coated at 407 mm. haha
Thing is ehobby and redwolf both don't have the 400-590 cyilinders in stock atm, I doubt putting a 400 would be good for 407.

The G&P polycetal has 3 metal teeth... lemme check the details:
"In general, polyacetal is not quite as strong as polycarbonate but has significantly more toughness. Additionally, polyacetal has good inherent surface lubricity and high fatigue strength. These factors should in theory combine to make a great reinforced piston. G&P also departs from the traditional 1 metal tooth design by providing 3 metal teeth for increased strength. Several "cut-outs" are molded into the top of the piston, creating a backbone-like structure which may increase strength while reducing weight. Cursory examination reveals some visible molding lines and a smooth molded surface. The 3 metal teeth have a rough shiny coating, similar to Deepfire teeth.

Piston: G&P Polyacetal High Pressure Piston
Weight: 0.5oz
Piston Material: polyacetal
Metal Teeth: 3
Average Barcol Hardness (piston): 12.9
Average Barcol Hardness (tooth): 84.1
Tapered Lip: yes, slightly
Distinguishing Feature: 3 metal teeth, molded backbone"

After the 1k round testing on M140:
"The G&P polyacetal piston performed quite well well, showing miniscule deformation due to contact with the first sector gear tooth. The remainder of the teeth are practically brand new conditon, with very little evidence of any visible wear."

Hm, juggz also has a 7 titanium teeth modify piston with the 2nd tooth removed, costs 15 bux more than 1 tooth, no teeth removed. I guess this would help a bit but isn't the proper way of fixing AOE, by finding out which tooth the piston is at when the sector gear lined up to it is almost 90degrees, or at least the line between taht tooth and sector tooth to be 90 degrees and cut a slant from that tooth's top to near the bottom of the 2nd?

And do you think on low rof guns it would be smart to short stroke like one tooth too? (not to achieve high rof)
Dragate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 19:13   #18
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

The TN cylinders are getting pretty hard to find nowadays. You can't go wrong with just a regular plated cylinder. Like Prometheus or even Guarder or Modify.

Seriously, dude. You're unnecessarily over thinking a lot of things. You're aiming for very very low stress middle ground performance, but trying to pick out parts and features for extreme ends of performance. It's not necessary.

Think about that last question you asked reeeealllly hard.

Think about what the purpose of short stroking is. If you don't want faster ROF, why even bother short stroking? Think about the mechanical theory on what short stroking does and why anybody does it, then try to ask the question again.
Old March 15th, 2009, 23:58   #19
Dragate

Hm I guess I just want something really nice wihtout actually needing it haha. I was kinda thinking maybe in the future I would need it, but with Canadian field limits, that's hardly the case.

Also, I've bought lots of stuff that I kind of regretted getting so far. Little things not right here and there, and I just wanted to be sure and not regret anything lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
Think about what the purpose of short stroking is. If you don't want faster ROF, why even bother short stroking? Think about the mechanical theory on what short stroking does and why anybody does it, then try to ask the question again.
Well, some ppl on arnies was saying it helps a bit with piston life, but I guess with M120 no hi rof, adjustment of AOE is hardly needed.

N e wayz thanks for all the help, Illusion, I'm pretty much set, just need some hands on experience.

Oh and about that POM white G&P piston, I saw a really bad review. Some guy had 3 of them break within 1k rounds, all with the engagement tooth snapping... I'm guessing bad AOE or even sector gear being too low? w.e haha
Old March 16th, 2009, 00:01   #20
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

I don't see how short-stroking can help with piston life. I can understand if it's removing the second tooth, but not short-stroking. Care to explain the mechanical theory behind that?
Old March 16th, 2009, 00:22   #21
Skladfin

Dragate, I don't understand why you are doing this. This is like literally just shitting money and flushing it down the toilet.
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:05   #22
Dragate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skladfin View Post
Dragate, I don't understand why you are doing this. This is like literally just shitting money and flushing it down the toilet.
agh ...

lol

cuz i hate the whine on gearboxes lol...
So I'm like... why don't I get a set of prometheus double torque all helical?
-calculate

just like 50-75 more to build brand new with prometheus double torque all helicals... =S
So why not? lol... Now I'm ending up getting ARS piston and cylinder heads too, so my gearbox is gonna be pretty silent...

Hm i dunno maybe I shouldn't do it after all ...=S but I did so much research XD and was so set on it...
Old March 16th, 2009, 13:58   #23
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragate View Post
So why not? lol... Now I'm ending up getting ARS piston and cylinder heads too, so my gearbox is gonna be pretty silent...

Hm i dunno maybe I shouldn't do it after all ...=S but I did so much research XD and was so set on it...
So then do it. Why does it matter so much what other people say? You have a brain and mind of your own...
Old March 16th, 2009, 14:43   #24
m102404
Tys

Quote:
Hm I guess I just want something really nice wihtout actually needing it haha. I was kinda thinking maybe in the future I would need it, but with Canadian field limits, that's hardly the case.

Also, I've bought lots of stuff that I kind of regretted getting so far. Little things not right here and there, and I just wanted to be sure and not regret anything lol.

You've picked the wrong sport/hobby...airsoft is full of expensive things and filled with regret.

I've re-read all your posts in this thread...go back and re-read my first or second post. Buy a complete G&P or Systema mechbox. Change out the piston if you feel you need a trick-ed out one. Shave the 2nd tooth if you want...it's not going to do any harm if you do. (personally I think paying 1 cent more for a piston that's been cast without one vs an identical one that has it is silly....it takes 5 min to carefully shave it off with a sharp knife, even less with a dremel)

Reshim it...play with it as is. You'll be pleased. You'll probably be very happy. And then you'll be sad when it breaks. Then spend $200 on trick replacement parts and rebuild it.

Tys
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 23:32   #25
Dragate

Well main thing I want is less gear whine.
Most videos of airsoft guns, even ones with work done on them have immense whine.
Maybe these ppl have bad shimming skills? I have yet to see a v2 gearbox with little whine.
I know a lot of the sound comes from improper shimming of bevel gear, and placement of motor...
But things is it really makes me want to get a set of helical or all helical gears.
If I were to buy a systema M120, get a set of all helical double toruqe prometheus gears,
building out of scratch with a systema mecha box case and all custom parts would also cost almost exactly the same if not a bit less actually...
(G&P polycetal piston, prometheus double troque all helicals, modify spring, modify misc gearbox parts ike the tappet/anti reverse, Either modify piston and cylinder heads or ARS ones, Nice KM TN teflon coated cylinder or pay even less for the eletroplated modify ones... except that ARS cylinders heads are getting bad reviews atm lol).
With a stock G&P gearbox (M120) though, would be around 50-100 cad cheaper then to start from a G&P 8mm gearbox shell. Thing is this is only changing the gears and piston, and maybe a cylinder...

But again, this is all cuz of the expensive gears from prometheus... *Sigh*
again, comes back to the sound issue.
I guess the only way I would get closure is to see a v2 gearbox with straight cut gears, pretty much stock G&P or systema properly shimmed, motor placed (and maybe proper aoe, and engagment if this does anything to do with sound) operate close to the sound of a tm g36 (waht I previously had and really enjoyed the sound of it).

and Illusion O_O lol i'm kinda scared now lol
is that sarcastic statement or true encouragement to do it...
Old March 16th, 2009, 23:42   #26
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
and Illusion O_O lol i'm kinda scared now lol
is that sarcastic statement or true encouragement to do it...
I'm telling you to MAN UP, STOP WHINING, and STOP BEING MORE INSECURE THAN MY GIRLFRIEND!

just DO IT, and tell us the results.

Last edited by ILLusion; March 16th, 2009 at 23:57..
Old March 16th, 2009, 23:48   #27
Skladfin

Honestly man, you have less balls than a girl....

okay, spoonfeeding time:

KWA Motor
KWA Gearbox
Change Spring to Prom M90

Done
Old March 17th, 2009, 00:00   #28
Amos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skladfin View Post
Honestly man, you have less balls than a girl....

okay, spoonfeeding time:

KWA Motor
KWA Gearbox
Change Spring to Prom M90

Done
Euch.

G&P box, with modify stuff inside it.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 00:01   #29
Skladfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by amos View Post
euch.

G&p box, with modify stuff inside it.
that so canadian :d
Old March 17th, 2009, 00:57   #30
Dragate

ouch... lol k...

didn't really want spoonfeeding exactly, but more of a solid explaining of most of the stuff... internet being waht it is, lots of views in both directions.

I just don't wanna spend 400 cad and not like it.

w.e just don't reply anymore then i'll figure it outmyself

Last edited by Dragate; March 17th, 2009 at 01:05..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications