Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Tears of the Sun Setups

:

USA

Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:22   #1
Jar|-|ead
Banned

US Navy Seals

Yeah im tryin to make a theme US Navy Seal theme...i mostly get it from the movie Tear Of The Sun...i was wondering where to get stuff like those??
Jar|-|ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 16:18   #2
firemachine69

Tears of the Sun is NOT in any way an even remotely realistic representation of the US Navy SEALs...
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 17:07   #3
Yuxi
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69
I hope you're not serious... They have some pretty tame kit...
Their gear in the movie is pretty darn good, you know good gear is not based on how much it costs and how cool it looks or what gucci name is attached to their gear, many real operators simply use what is available to them and follow a long tradition of modifying their gear as to what works best, some of the best gear are simply stuff that works well for a low cost.

The gear they choose to use in their environment was quite sensible, lightweight, combat effective, and carried enough for what their mission was. A great combination of ALICE with LBV 88s and 3 day packs and some assault vests.

If you look carefully these are damn good setups, they are also modified quite realistically, from the simple arm pockets instead of super velcroed, to the 100 mph tape to tighten loose straps. Most airsoft impressions can learn alot from their setup as opposed to the currently popular method of dumping money into brand name gear to make a impression.

Yuxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 17:33   #4
Yuxi
Retired

Jarhead, I will give you a brief description and estimated cost of the gear Bruce Willis is wearing, if you could find detailed pictures of others that you want gear identified just post and I will see what I can do.

This is not a complete breakdown, just some of the most obvious stuff. As far as I remember the movie makers at first attempted to buy a lot of gear from Eagle Industries, but afterwards they bought a lot from Blackhawk Product Group, I think they figured it was cheaper from BPG for similar stuff anyways.

A. Ranger H-Harness, BPG and Eagle both makes this, cost new can range from 40-90 USD, but as usual (this refers to the rest of the post too) look for it on eBay, it will be much cheaper there.

B. Locking D-ring, variety of companies will make this item, just look for one that looks like the one in the picture. 10-20 CDN

C. It is common for US Special Operations units to move all 4 pockets of their combat uniforms; they then move the bottom 2 pockets to the breast and then move the 2 breast pockets (smaller ones) to the arm. Now it is popular to add Velcro to the pockets that will get moved to the arm, but for TOTS no Velcro was added. If you do it yourself, costs nothing, otherwise it will depend how much a local tailor would charge. Try to find some tailors in Chinatown, they are considerably cheaper.

D. Black drop leg holster, BHI and Eagle both make this as well as many other companies, your obviously looking for one in black. Costs, 60-90 USD new

E. US issued Alice triple M16 mag pouches, these can go for as little as 5 CDN and as much as 20 USD

F. US issued belt, as little as 5 CDN to as high as 20 USD, eBay is your best friend for stuff like this

G. Double pistol mag pouches, probably kydex inside, variety of companies make these as well, costs can be 20 USD+ each

H. Likely to be a Underarmor sweat wicking shirt, costs are probably 40 CDN+, mine was about 50 CDN shipped

Footwear: It is not in the picture, but if I remember right, they wore US jungle boots, try to buy real ones, not the Chinese copies which break really easily. Cost can be 60 USD - 120 USD or more

Yuxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 18:34   #5
Primus
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Primus
Amen on your first post Yuxi. As much as having the latest greatest gear is fun, most often time it's the simple shit that works best.

Gray Fox Strategic - @grayfoxstrategic on Facebook / Instagram
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 19:28   #6
Eddie

Send a message via MSN to Eddie
Sites like these will give you a general idea of what they are wearing in combat.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/ -Actual real world operators
http://www.specwargear.com/ -Mostly pictures and basic discriptions of gear
http://www.special-warfare.net/ -Asian Airsofters that like high end gear just like Yuxi :grin:
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 19:43   #7
Jar|-|ead
Banned

dudes i dont care about what real seals wear...i want the one from tears of the sun...Bruce willis outfit looks good...but im tryin to make the one of the sniper guys wears..the one who's holding and m4 with a silencer...the last prodution pix..the guy on the left side with the ghille suit on top of his head...THAT ONE...im makin his m4 now....his name in the movie is Flea...
Old January 3rd, 2006, 20:09   #8
SockMonkey

Send a message via MSN to SockMonkey
Good on ya Yuxi, I really liked the movie and thought the "crew" looked bad ass. I was also thinking of puting together a TOTS kit and your pic helps imensly.you dont know how hard it is to find simple answers like thoughs you provided. Trust me Google didnt help me on this, tried many search paramiters and got no where.

Yay for helpful people!!
SockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 20:15   #9
Jar|-|ead
Banned

YES thank for helpful ppl...but can someone give a outline or description of what Flea is wearing and his equipment?Cuz i have the m4...i really looked into it...watched that scene of the close up on his m4...all i need is RIS coverx2,Silencer and Cheek Piece (these last two are on there way)...YES!!!!
Old January 3rd, 2006, 20:19   #10
-Skeletor-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar|-|ead
dudes i dont care about what real seals wear...i want the one from tears of the sun...Bruce willis outfit looks good...but im tryin to make the one of the sniper guys wears..the one who's holding and m4 with a silencer...the last prodution pix..the guy on the left side with the ghille suit on top of his head...THAT ONE...im makin his m4 now....his name in the movie is Flea...

What you need for that

Woodland Boonie hat(ripstop) w/ strips of burlap tied into the foliage loops
Ripstop/Summer Woodland BDUs w/ pockets on the sleeves
US Jungle Boots -black
US Pistol belt(new one) sometimes called a USMC Pistol Belt
LBV-88
TT 3 Day Pack OD or something similar
Black T-Shirt

Thats what I think he has, hard to tell by that pic. Later I'll watch a few clips from the movie(I got the DVD) an give a more detailed kitlist.
Old January 4th, 2006, 00:29   #11
Jar|-|ead
Banned

ATN model...its looks like the m16 rifle scope...but its looks like something else...
Old January 4th, 2006, 01:12   #12
firemachine69

Yuxi, meant that he generalized that EVERY SEAL is outfitted as such, at least this thread comes off to me as that. I wish that the whole unit-of-the-month thing would cease. Within certain parameters, of course, they have a vast selection available to them, in most "in-country" circumstances.
But you got one thing right: they use what fits them best. Rambo knifes aren't one of them.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 01:32   #13
R.A.T.M._JLD

I think its that was for almost every SF they get gear for the mission then then they make it fit to how the like it and how the play the game (and I don't mean airsoft). Look at Tears of the Sun they all have gear set up differntly to sute them and Delta from BHD they all have differnt set ups but the all look as a team.

Buy smiple vest then costums it to your need and likes. Don't go for some movie guys make it your own.

like I'm make a Delta set up. Getting a BlackHawk Tactical Chest Pouches then Im going to play with it and build on it for what I need and like.
Old January 4th, 2006, 12:02   #14
SockMonkey

Send a message via MSN to SockMonkey
We are all grown men/women dressing up and playing army, if he wants to kit up like Flea or Hoot so what? honestly how does that effect you? Both movies are great for inspiration. Some people like to kit up to "be" a soldier from a specific unit, others dont. As long as make belive doenst wash over into their reality eh.. no harm done. To any real soldier out there who is offended by this as long as the person is respectful and isnt going around and saying he/she is some 1337 navy seal delta sniper out side of game does it really hurt? remember imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
SockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 16:04   #15
R.A.T.M._JLD

I'm not telling him not to go for aFlea set up but to get like the vest he has and add pouches and other things he would need for his type of game play. You would hate tp be out there and find out you have a lot of stuff you didnt need and not have things you do.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > USA