Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

nimh batteries above 9.6v

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old April 17th, 2013, 20:02   #1
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

nimh batteries above 9.6v

so im not ready to invest in a good lipo charger and fets for all my guns. I know they make higher voltage nimh (like 10.8v 12v and some other odd sizes)
Now we run into another issue. My charger will only do up to 8 cells (9.6v)
So here is what im wondering. I have a fet in one of my aegs. And i could move it back n forth between guns if needed but its only wired to the trigger on the one gun.
If i buy 2 7.2v or 8.4v nimh and make an adapter to run em together in (series i think pos to neg together leaving a free pos and neg to create a 14.4 or 16.8) how would that compare to an 11.1 lipo?
Will it just be too much and kill my shyte fast?
I do have the ability to adjust rof with the fet so i could start slower and work my way up till it starts to seem like a lil too much then tone it down a bit.
So am i crazy or what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 20:50   #2
coach
aka coachster

I don't run mosfets and use 7.4v LiPo's just fine. The KA 11.1v 12c have been perfect on the Galil and RPK

Also using 9.9 lifepo's and madbull 12.8v LFP'S without much issue.

Why not build a custom NiMH pack that you can split the cells to charge if you don't want to get a new charger? The IMAX B6 and clones are reasonable priced.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 21:03   #3
Kos-Mos

If you have space for a 10.6+v pack, just get a larger 9.6v good quality instead.

Or a LiPo pack.. they are cheaper than buying a good NIMh pack.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 21:05   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Consider this, for the room a 12v mini NiMH would take up, you could get a significantly higher Mah 11.1v LiPo
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 21:18   #5
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Yeah i was more thinking using some batteries i alrdy have around and just rigging up an adapter to plug them into then plug into the gun.
If i was going to buy batteries (like a 10.8 or 12v nimh) id need a new charger anyhow so then i may as well just buy a cheapo lipo balance charger and an 11.1 20c lipo total cost is only like 70 bucks
http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=1926

http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=2294

And i guess one of them low voltage alarms tho i think the merf somehow monitors the voltage ill look into that part.
Yeah i got space itll either go in my full stock m4 or the ak so it could hold two 8.4 bricks or 7.2 bricks.
Guess ill bite the bullet and grab that cheapo charger and battery
Edit. Im not too worried about mah i use 1600 mah nimh and i can run em for 2 games befor i gotta recharge if i play two weeks in a row.
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft

Last edited by Hectic; April 17th, 2013 at 21:20..
Old April 17th, 2013, 22:21   #6
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

You can't run a lipo dead - you'll destroy it. Thankfully the MERF will stop that from happening.

If you use a 1600mAh NiMH battery and it is lasting you two games, I would suggest getting two stick lipos.

The battery charger works fine, but I have a beef with Intellect batteries. Unless you really need that short of a battery, I would shameless plug HobbyKing.

http://www.airsoftstore.ca/index.php...ldkmf01vb47293
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 22:27   #7
Hectic

Yeah i thought i read the merf will stop overdischarge of batteries thats why you have to tell it the voltage of the battery you use.

Id buy lots of stuff from your store i just hate payin for shipping (and tax lol shhh) so i try n deal face to face for paper stuffs lol

Oh and i should ask this i guess now that im lookin at lipos.
Should i bother with those 40c monsters or stick with the 15-25c lipos
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft

Last edited by Hectic; April 17th, 2013 at 22:30..
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:25   #8
coach
aka coachster

When you go lipo, because you will, don't leave them between games. Even if they could last you 2 weekends, make it a habit to charge them up after each game.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:30   #9
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
Yeah i was more thinking using some batteries i alrdy have around and just rigging up an adapter to plug them into then plug into the gun.
If i was going to buy batteries (like a 10.8 or 12v nimh) id need a new charger anyhow so then i may as well just buy a cheapo lipo balance charger and an 11.1 20c lipo total cost is only like 70 bucks
http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=1926

http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=2294

And i guess one of them low voltage alarms tho i think the merf somehow monitors the voltage ill look into that part.
Yeah i got space itll either go in my full stock m4 or the ak so it could hold two 8.4 bricks or 7.2 bricks.
Guess ill bite the bullet and grab that cheapo charger and battery
Edit. Im not too worried about mah i use 1600 mah nimh and i can run em for 2 games befor i gotta recharge if i play two weeks in a row.
If you have a full stock, why are you even considering mini packs? Get a large cell pack (sub-c) and be done with it.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:00   #10
Hectic

All the subc pacs i have are nicd all the 4/5a (or whatever they are called) are nimh. No need for discharging befor recharging and such with the nimh. All the nicd one always wer what came with my guns and sond up being crap (ie couldnt even last a whole game and im not trigger happy) all my nimh last 2 games easy.
Plus 2 8.4 sub c packs wont fit in a full stock (least not mine its the "stubby" full stock and an ak wood full stock (it actually seems the ak wont even take two mini 8.4 packs as one 9.6 nunchuck subc it prety tight)
Likely gonna just grab a cheapish lipo charger and an 11.1 20c for my one gun that i wanna mess with lipos in instead of screwin around with 16.8v nimh. Prolly get just as good or better results anyhow.
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:48   #11
Kos-Mos

You ca fit a 10000mAh (10 AMPS/hour) 11.1v LiPo battery in the space of a 9.6v NiMh Sub-C...

That would last you a whole summer of suppressing fire.

But more seriously, if you go LiPo and use a MERF or anything similar, don't forget to UNPLUG the battery, otherwise the tiny current of the CPU will drain the LiPo dead.

Also, LiPo are explosive. Don't grab the cheapest charger you find. Since airsoftstore does not have them in stock...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._GENUINE_.html
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:03   #12
Hectic

Yeah i have the merf3.2 installed alrdy.
Is the charger i linked that bad? It is a balance charger and must be at least a big step up from those cheapo wall pulg type chargers.
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:17   #13
K3vX

As everything in this sport, you're better to buy the better one now than to buy it later and waste more money in the process. The B6AC is not the most recommended charger for nothing. It is overkill for your needs, but your needs might change and I love the fact that I can rely on it and program it easily.

EDIT: WITH shipping it's around 72$, which when you factor 39.00$+ 10.00$ shipping + 5% taxes is only 20.50$ more.

Last edited by K3vX; April 18th, 2013 at 11:22..
K3vX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:28   #14
Hectic

Where as i just like to plug stuff in hit charge and wait for the lil light to come on lol.
Only up side i see is that it would replace my other charger as it does the nimh batteries too.
If they werent so marked up locally id prolly consider one but it seems the local retailers are paying retail for them snd as such are having to sell em almost dbl what they can be had for at other places. (dont get me wrong i understand markups i retail fire extiguishers they have a 100% mark up on them too, was 200% back in the day but if i had to buy at retail prices and mark em up my customers would go elsewhere forsure lol but on the same note id prefer to buy locally and support the retailers who have beed fuling the sport for us. Dbl edge sword lol. Guess ill browse some rc shops and see if they carry em at a more reasonable price to at least keep the money local
Edit. Damn those rc guys buy some crazy chargers lol 2-300 bucks for some lol.
Seems noone has stock on those b6ac found a place for 42.99 gettin a lil beter in price just no stock
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft

Last edited by Hectic; April 18th, 2013 at 11:48..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications