Airsoft Canada 2008

:

General

Old October 15th, 2008, 12:05   #1
Mantelope
Scotty aka harleyb

Send a message via AIM to Mantelope Send a message via MSN to Mantelope
Airsoft Canada 2008

As you've probably noticed, the Airsoft Canada site has been going through some changes in the past couple weeks. The most noticeable change has been the server move, and as any frequent user can tell, we're still working out the kinks. What hasn't changed, though, is the fact that ASC is Canada's largest airsoft community and an internationally-recognized airsoft resource.

Airsoft Canada has historically been a venue for the sale of airsoft, by its owner. Tru and his Trumart flourished for a time, and part of his proceeds helped keep the site online. More recently, Miles/Honest John (and Carl/MadMax, for a time) had been running an awesome store called ASC Armoury, which paid for an even better server to keep ASC running fast. Unfortunately, ASC Armoury has since closed its doors, and ASC's funding has been cut short. This leads us to our next change: Miles has transferred the responsibility of keeping ASC up to Lisa and Harley/Mantelope.

You've probably noticed by now that, unlike Miles or Tru, Lisa and Harley don't operate a retail operation, so we've needed to find another funding stream. You've also probably noticed the "Ads by Google" in two distinct locations on the site, which is the method we've decided to go with to help support ASC. We're trying to keep the ads as unobtrusive as possible yet still generate revenue from them, and we don't plan to insert any other Google ads on the site.

We have a few ideas that we're going to implement in the very near future. Because we're not going to be operating our own retail operation, we're going to be making some changes to make it even easier for retailers to operate their business on ASC. In exchange for a modest fee, retailers will have unique status on the boards, including a special retailers forum that we hope will solve all the problems they have had with keeping sales threads up-to-date and replying to customer inquiries. In the same vein, the space in the top-right previously used for the ASC Armoury ad will become available publicly to any age-verified user at a reasonable cost. They will also get a larger PM inbox than the average user to account for the extra messages they send and receive.

We've also started the long-overdue task of organizing and cleaning the forums. Things are getting better already! In addition, we're bringing back the site supporter program due to popular demand. The planned benefits are a greatly increased PM box, removal of the Google ads while you're logged in, access to posting in the trash, and a few other surprises we've got up our sleeves.

We have every belief that ASC will continue to grow and prosper, and at the same time we intend to keep the signal-to-noise ratio at a maximum. ASC is known internationally because of its communal knowledge and expertise in all fields of the sport that we love. While some of the changes that are being implemented may upset a few of you, we firmly believe that ASC will benefit from every single one; if we didn't, we wouldn't be changing anything.

-Lisa and Harley
Old October 15th, 2008, 13:32   #2

Thanks for the heads up.

808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 13:39   #3
Drache
BALLET, TYPE: SELF LOATHING, ANALBURST

so when can we donate? Got money in hand!
Drache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 13:41   #4
Mantelope
Scotty aka harleyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache View Post
so when can we donate? Got money in hand!
We don't have a timeline yet, but rest assured we're working as fast as possible towards it.
Old October 15th, 2008, 14:27   #5
Crunchmeister

Glad to hear positive changes are on the horizon. I'm more than willing to make a donation to ASC as well, as it has been such an invaluable resource to me since summer 2007 (lurked for 3 months before joining).
Old October 15th, 2008, 14:42   #6
arman

yea ya....like i said im glad ASC is still here good job to scotty, mantelope and lisa!!!!

playing with my kid!
arman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 15:01   #7
SEALs

Send a message via ICQ to SEALs Send a message via AIM to SEALs Send a message via MSN to SEALs Send a message via Yahoo to SEALs
I want my gold status back!

Father of fear, reckless and widowmaker
SEALs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 15:04   #8
huang

will donate or pay for retailer forum!
Old October 15th, 2008, 15:13   #9
Mantelope
Scotty aka harleyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALs View Post
I want my gold status back!
We have yet to work out the specifics, but rest assured that if you've donated in the past, you'll continue to have a supporter status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huang View Post
will donate or pay for retailer forum!
Definitely coming, we know how much retailers will benefit from having their own dedicated storefront.
Old October 15th, 2008, 15:18   #10
matt491

Hopefully there's not just changes in ASC but in the prices of airsoft in canada too..

Not saying anyone here has any say in that or that the changes on asc will effect the prices in Canada. Just wishful thinking. can't afford to drive and play airsoft right now..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
It will help to not get you flamed here, and will help you get a job that doesn't require the repeated use of the phrase "Would you like fries with that?"
matt491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 15:23   #11
Amos

I would LOVE.. (And I'm sure moderators would love it too) to be able to change the title of my threads instead of reporting them and having a moderator deal with it..

I would pay money to be able to do that and have a boost in privet messages.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 16:25   #12
Matula
formerly sammer

Perso XX $ each year for my best forum about airsoft is a good way. I really don't want pub on our forum, if you need money for the year, don't worry i will help.
Old October 15th, 2008, 16:50   #13
KND
* AV revoked *

I wound't mind to donate. It's really annoying me that I have to delete my PM in full of 100 messages. Glad to hear about that.

KND

KND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 17:25   #14
panda86

Count me in for a donation for ASC as well, just let me know where to do it.
panda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 17:37   #15
Steve_U1S

Congratulations on the 'inheritance' of the site.
I trust all is well with Miles, and he is simply focused on other matters at this point.
Steve_U1S is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General