Reviews

Old February 4th, 2009, 18:45   #1
bean
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to bean
Vanaras POM 48 shot m203 shell

Vanaras POM 48 shot m203 shell

A Brief Intro

Very seldom does a product get into my hands where I am completely shocked out how great of an idea it is. This is one of those products. Vanaras is a relatively new company on the block who have begun to pump out products with exceptional quality. The POM gas grenade seemed like a really odd idea when I first read about it and I was exceptionally skeptical. I can remember myself asking “plastic in a pressurized vessel that’s a terrible idea unless someone wants a plastic shrapnel makeover”. I am very pleased to say I was wrong, very wrong. POM or Polyoxymethylene or as most know it as Delrin is an exceedingly strong polymer with great thermal capabilities. It is used most often as a metal replacement where weight is a concern. Now you may be asking why this is good for a 40mm grenade. The answer is a several part one. POM is significantly lighter then metals currently used in airsoft grenades. This saves on weight when you have to carry several expended ones after blasting a pile of opfor. POM is really strong and super resistant to drops. I know because that was my first issue with these. I gassed one up and dropped it on concrete multiple times with no real damage. Thermal capabilities of POM make it great to contain a gas that is temperature sensitive. I gassed a grenade up and let it get to room temperature (I let it sit an hour). I then took it out side and buried it under some snow with it in a ziploc bag. I came back out in ten minutes and it fired just as it would after being at room temperature. The last and most important feature of POM is its price. POM will not hurt the pocket book at a rough price of 13usd a grenade.

Overview

I must start by saying I am exceedingly impressed with the machining of these grenades. Everything looks as it should and it all feels nice to the touch. The threading for the gas chamber was done nicely and has no leaks. Each of the six holes nicely holds the bb’s and there are no snags on the way down. The only way those bb’s are coming out other than by firing them is with an obscenely hard shake. Each tube holds eight bb’s.

I can say one thing these grenades will be sure to disappoint Canadian customs. The bearings seem to stay in there holes and don't come free so no more CBSA lost bearings for the 40mm crowd.

These grenades appear to hold a slight bit less gas then there metal counterparts. This results in a tiny drop in distance. However I will take that slight drop in distance any day and not have to worry when one drops. Or have 80 pounds of spent 203 rounds on me. When fired the grenade gives off a nice report and the stream of bb’s piles out in a cluster of happiness. I can’t comment on the range these get as of yet due to me not having a big yard however I can say one snowman was harmed in the making of this review.

PRO’S
Cheap
Light
Work well
Durable

CON’S

Not metal so the diehards may not like it
Slightly less range then the metal versions

Photo's
I must apologize in advance my lighting setup doesn't do these grenades justice. I will post updated images once I sort my lighting issues out.

Nice big grainy image of the side of the grenade

A dark image of the top where you can sort of see the six holes

The bottom of the grenade or possibly a record who really knows

The threading for the grenade halves

The innards

Last edited by bean; February 4th, 2009 at 19:01..
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 19:07   #2
hymnforthewretched

Ya i got these as well. definitely made very well, the plastic is very durable and was machined not molded.

I had a problem with mine tho, after filling the bbs up i could easily loose 50% or more of the bbs with a light shake or just tipping the thing over. I fixed this by playing with the o-ring, and ended up reinforcing the o-ring with a light little elastic to help.

Also looking at the instructions it comes with it looks like you can reset them without unscrewing the body, but by pressing the valve release up and back out. This isnt the case ( with mine anyways ) and the body has to be un screwed to reset them.

Distance i measured to be about 58 feet at the max and 25 feet min. with most of the bbs droping at the 37-47 foot range

Not bad for about 25 bucks each id have to say, not to mention the weight savings.
hymnforthewretched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 19:07   #3
gvanzeggelaar

dd

Last edited by gvanzeggelaar; October 8th, 2013 at 21:08..
gvanzeggelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 12:49   #4
solidgear34

where do i pick up one of these?
solidgear34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 18:24   #5
Death March

The last post on this was February 4th 2009 so it's alittle late

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews