Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Camo spray paint alternatives

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old May 29th, 2019, 15:15   #1
TopGunnerz

Camo spray paint alternatives

Hey everyone, I was wondering if there was any alternatives to the typical camo spray paint brands that I can get from any Home Depot, Lowe's, or Walmart, or other common store.

Also while I was looking around at Lowe's and Home Depot I saw satin finish spray paint, flat spray paint, stone texture spray paints, chalked finish spray paints, and chalked finish clear coat. Anyone have any opinions on these being used on a rifle?
TopGunnerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2019, 23:05   #2
Drake
E-01

The thing about specialized camo paint (Krylon and the like) is that they're meant to be easily removable without damaging the underlying finish, and they have an ultra-flat finish.

Satin finish paints, and even satin clear coats, will ruin the camo effect by giving the surface gloss (think wet surface): whatever is painted stands out by having a uniform highlight to it. Even Flat finish paints have a tiny amount of gloss to them (automotive flat black, for example, is a good match for black gun finishes -- which aren't completely flat).

Stone texture paints are a mixed bag, some have some gloss. I'd worry the texture would mess with fit between parts etc.

Chalky finish paints might be good if you wanted to simulate wear/give it a distressed look. But I doubt you'd find good camo colours in chalky finish so you'd be better using real camo paint and wearing it down (which is pretty easy given their not-so-permanent nature).

I'm not sure what your goal is here? You want to make the camo paintjob more permanent? You could use the regular camo paints and apply a matte clear finish -- although be weary which you use, many "matte" clear coats have a sheen to them. Valspar matte finish is pretty flat (available at Lowes).

As for other paints, maybe if you want a greater variety of camo colours and don't mind more permanence, you could go with scale model paints (Tamiya, Testors, Humbrol, Vallejo). Tamiya has rattle cans (limited variety), the others need to be painted or airbrushed on. But this seems like an expensive/inconvenient route unless you're looking for some very specific colours.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 13:25   #3
Danke

I use the Aervoe spray paint. It's $11 a can but the end result is great so way less hassle than have to strip and try again.

I get it from DS Tactical out here in BC. Not sure where to find out East. Probably a pain to ship since it's a spray.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 18:33   #4
TopGunnerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
The thing about specialized camo paint (Krylon and the like) is that they're meant to be easily removable without damaging the underlying finish, and they have an ultra-flat finish.

Satin finish paints, and even satin clear coats, will ruin the camo effect by giving the surface gloss (think wet surface): whatever is painted stands out by having a uniform highlight to it. Even Flat finish paints have a tiny amount of gloss to them (automotive flat black, for example, is a good match for black gun finishes -- which aren't completely flat).

Stone texture paints are a mixed bag, some have some gloss. I'd worry the texture would mess with fit between parts etc.

Chalky finish paints might be good if you wanted to simulate wear/give it a distressed look. But I doubt you'd find good camo colours in chalky finish so you'd be better using real camo paint and wearing it down (which is pretty easy given their not-so-permanent nature).

I'm not sure what your goal is here? You want to make the camo paintjob more permanent? You could use the regular camo paints and apply a matte clear finish -- although be weary which you use, many "matte" clear coats have a sheen to them. Valspar matte finish is pretty flat (available at Lowes).

As for other paints, maybe if you want a greater variety of camo colours and don't mind more permanence, you could go with scale model paints (Tamiya, Testors, Humbrol, Vallejo). Tamiya has rattle cans (limited variety), the others need to be painted or airbrushed on. But this seems like an expensive/inconvenient route unless you're looking for some very specific colours.
Thanks for the info! You are right about basically everything, after trying out the satin finish in particular, there is quite a lot of gloss to it.

As for Valspar, I never considered it and I will look into it more. The chalky finishes only come in blue or white, at least locally. Tamiya paints I have considered but yes they are very expensive in comparison to the typical spray paints.

As for my goal, originally I wanted alternatives to Krylon camo paints.
But after looking at several local Canadian Tires, Home Depots, and Walmarts, I found that Krylon camo paints do not exist anywhere local anymore (I last actively looked for them a couple of years ago).

I found that the only camo paint available locally/ for cheap is rustoleum camo, and that is only a cover, not a primer and cover like Krylon, and I could only find a very light mint green for any type of flat green paint.

My new goal is to find more flat green paint or find Krylon camo paint locally again. Anyone ever find Krylon camo paint recently?
Old June 2nd, 2019, 18:38   #5
TopGunnerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
I use the Aervoe spray paint. It's $11 a can but the end result is great so way less hassle than have to strip and try again.

I get it from DS Tactical out here in BC. Not sure where to find out East. Probably a pain to ship since it's a spray.
Damn that's a good alternative actually, hopefully I can find that locally. Thanks!
Old June 3rd, 2019, 19:54   #6
Drake
E-01

Speaking of Aervoe, their Coyote Brown is pretty decent if you're looking for something in that colour range (its pretty close to Magpul's FDE without the green hue). Krylon's Tan is a very light, sandy beige.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 20:09   #7
Sidster71

What he said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post

By far the best I've used for guns and vics.
Sidster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 21:00   #8
DC_ACU

Hobby stores
Tamiya spray cans
Tons of military colors to choose from, then cover with a flat clear coat.
DC_ACU is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications