Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

evolution of plate carriers?

:

Gear Discussion

Old December 14th, 2015, 06:27   #1
ravan318

evolution of plate carriers?

Hi I have a question about plate carriers.
As I recall, back a few years ago, the types of vests and plate carriers like RAV and CIRAS are somewhat the mainstream/popular choices used by SOF communities. However the recent years I see a shift towards the lighter plate carriers like CAGE, LBT, etc. While I know these plate carriers are lighter and thus faster, they also seem to have a whole lot less coverage, above the belt and the armpit areas. My question thus becomes, why the shift or this adoption? How about protection to the exposed areas?

If anyone has the understanding of this "evolution" please share the story. Thanks!
ravan318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 07:54   #2
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Larger PC's are still in use, depending on what you're doing. The smaller, lighter PCs are just that, smaller and lighter. Your plates only cover the major organs front to back as you'll mostly be square with the enemy and thus that's where fire comes from. You can carry a great amount of gear with you if you need, but more comfort and better weight dispersal, coupled with lighter and lower profile, makes you faster and more ergonomic overall. Mayflower, Crye JPC, Ferro Concepts, High Ground, First Spear, LBT, etc, all make a decent fast PC.
Old December 14th, 2015, 10:51   #3
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

The larger, bulky carriers like the US army's interceptor carrier still see use. But the plate coverage is still limited by the plates. though sometimes soft armour is added. The advantage of something like the interceptor carriers is the addition of the neck, groin, or arms. This may help the soldier survive a hit (doubtful though cause at close range even plates are not always effective) in tight spaces or a mortar shell landing near him. Obviously the legs are still very exposed but you are protecting the vital organs.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 13:29   #4
EOD Steve

Smaller plate carriers have become more popular because the speed and agility offered are favoured by the elite tip-of-the-spear SOF members on very quick in-and-out sorties - this type of action closely mirrors most airsoft ops/skirms.

The Steve has spoken.
EOD Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 14:09   #5
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Modular loadouts have driven this evolution.
Low profile carriers such as the Perroz Designs ultra slick plate carrier ( plug for a Canadian designer/ Manufacturer ) permit a layering of equipment from covert minimalist up to full assault loadouts.

it's this versatility that has driven these slick carriers to begin to dominate the market.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 21:44   #6
Wilkie

Wearing a heavy carrier in the desert or tropical environment, really any environment for that matter can be hell, especially if movement is involved.

Maximum protection is still sought after by the average individual, say a contractor holding a checkpoint all day, but if one fancies themselve a gunfighter, a trade off of maneuverability vs protection is attractive.

Expecially when "Bulletproof" will never actually be a thing. It's like the Pre-Mich2000 Deltas trading their heavy ass PASGT helmets for Protec skateboard helmets.
Wilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 17:02   #7
Ricochet

My recommendation to everyone in airsoft, is to decide what you need to carry, how to most tactically and efficiently carry it and buy what you need to make it happen. Avoid the "fashion show" or "just because it's cool" factors if you can. That doesn't mean your gear can't look cool, but tailor it to you and what you're doing.

For instance, I wanted to go lighter and lower profile, but I still have to be able to carry days worth of gear in case I attend an endurance game, but stay light and fast on scrim days. So a more modern, lightweight carrier worked well for me, but I couldn't go down to a tactical sports bra sized one. Plan your pouches and their functions as well, it'll help enormously.
Old December 15th, 2015, 23:38   #8
ravan318

-------------------

Last edited by ravan318; December 16th, 2015 at 01:14..
ravan318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 11:15   #9
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
My recommendation to everyone in airsoft, is to decide what you need to carry, how to most tactically and efficiently carry it and buy what you need to make it happen. Avoid the "fashion show" or "just because it's cool" factors if you can. That doesn't mean your gear can't look cool, but tailor it to you and what you're doing.

For instance, I wanted to go lighter and lower profile, but I still have to be able to carry days worth of gear in case I attend an endurance game, but stay light and fast on scrim days. So a more modern, lightweight carrier worked well for me, but I couldn't go down to a tactical sports bra sized one. Plan your pouches and their functions as well, it'll help enormously.
This is where the modular approach works.

1st line 2nd and third.

1st, often a belt rig, 2 mags for each platform carried, Holster for secondary , some tools, and short term sustainment - this would probably be all you need for a day of play at an indoor venue

2nd line, more ammo for all platforms, Comms , additional sustainment supplies ( water, snacks ) This would be all you need for a day game outside in fair weather

3rd line,(pack ) more ammo, more food , more water, layers to deal with environmental factors , a small pack would be all you need for a 24 hour event in fair weather , larger pack as environmental demands increase.

1 rig can not serve for all uses but if you buy smart you can have an adaptable loadout for all needs

This also allows one to don or doff gear depending on mission parameters for longer games, If you are doing a recon.. you may drop everything but your weapon and a couple of mags in pockets to move fast and slick.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 13:15   #10
Orpheus

As I understand, fairly early in the Iraq/Afghan wars side plates either didnt exist or werent that common initially. Then the media started squawking about how "our troops arent as well protected as they could be". (This is before the media decided to turn on a dime and suddenly criticise the wars they used to support 100%) Side plates were then mandated. If you see the frumpy bulbous michelin man loadouts of those years, you'll see what I mean. The consensus that I have read/ heard regarding side plates is that the circumstances where you can't or don't need to wear a chest rig/pouch loadout are the ones where the side plates actually serve a function... Drivers, turret gunners etc... Those are demonstrable circumstances where a side plate may in fact protect you from the threat you are facing.

Also, bear in mind. Early on SAPI plates were "in conjunction with" in order to get the lvl IV type protection. Usually that meant BALCS soft armour covering the whole torso with the Front/Rear/(side) plates over top of that.
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 13:54   #11
Ricochet

Side plates did exist, at least as far back as Somalia. Rigs such as the Pointe Blank Intercepter had full plating. This rig was available at the beginning of the Afghan conflict and was worn by many. Your gear is determined by what division of the Army/Navy your in and can be mission specific. What the OP is asking about is the common place of small, low pro plates carriers of today versus the large bulky ones you used to see. Intercepter versus JPC, etc. Although some of the new ones can get a side plate upgrade, they are much more lower profile.
Old December 18th, 2015, 15:51   #12
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

Another point would be that these plates are only oriented to protect your vital organs.
Intestines are not vital, bladder can be replaced by a bag, you only need one kidney, and the liver is higher than you think. If you're squared up, in an aggressive posture, and on the attack, a small form factor plate carrier should give you a pretty fucking good chance that a wound you sustain will be at least treatable. They're life saving devices, if not exactly quality-of-life saving.
Not Robocop, and probably won't help you with frag or spalling, but still a huge improvement over the days when guys who had to be fast and also had some control over their own kit would just ignore armor entirely.
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 16:12   #13
DuffMan

Send a message via ICQ to DuffMan Send a message via MSN to DuffMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffradical View Post
Intestines are not vital.
Maybe not, but the chance of you dying from septic shock from a gut shot is super fuckin' high.

"He resisted. I asked him to comply."
"Telling him to 'eat it, bitch' is not really a request."
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 16:42   #14
Ricochet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Maybe not, but the chance of you dying from septic shock from a gut shot is super fuckin' high.
Higher from a shot through the heart. You can die from an artery or venous system injury, head trauma, spleen rupture, etc, but heart, lungs, brain, etc are more of a quick or immediate death from severe trauma. It's just there to buy you time. On that note; you can be fully armored and still get killed by one round. Its combat effectiveness versus playing the stats I guess.
Old December 19th, 2015, 10:39   #15
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

Whatever happened to the Bear Suit? Let's email Justin, tell him that's what our troops need.
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion