Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

New Walmart Goggles

:

Gear Discussion

Old December 2nd, 2007, 03:55   #1
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

New Walmart Goggles

Hey guys for 11$ I saw snowboarding goggles with different sizes. Not sure if I should buy it, it says Shatter Proof with UV lens and approved by something.

Do you guys believe it's shatter proof?

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 03:58   #2
Bauholzwolf
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Bauholzwolf
I saw these, too. Perhaps one of us should fork up the $11 and put it to the test. Mind you, all I have to test it with are a .308 Remington and a .303 Enfield.
Bauholzwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 06:28   #3
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hitman View Post
Hey guys for 11$ I saw snowboarding goggles with different sizes. Not sure if I should buy it, it says Shatter Proof with UV lens and approved by something.

Do you guys believe it's shatter proof?

It's your eyes, buddy. If you wanna trust 'em to some POS $11 goggles, be my guest.

But I seriously doubt they'd be up to snuff, anyway. Shatter proof does not mean ballistic or ANSI -rated. They also probably won't be accepted at some games, including a lot of paintball fields.

Is it worth the risk? If only one shot gets through, someday, and you lose an eye... won't you think back and wish you'd actually gotten proper protection? I won't even play with paintball goggles, myself, only ballistic-rated goggles.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 06:47   #4
Ronan
Official Crybaby Chairsofter

The way i see it... never never never never cheap out on safety/security.

Like those fucktards that put china made 'sport' tires on their ride just to save a couple bucks. Later they end up on the news when their brand new 'tires' exploded during 'high' speed and them and their passenger were killed on contact when the car found its new home blended in the guard rail of the highway.

Not saying those things are crap, but considering good goggles cost $50 and those are at $11... yeah something isn't right. Even if its ANSI rated, something is cheaper in those.
Ronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 07:56   #5
Greylocks

It depends on if you ever want to play at an approved site or not, and on your lack of common-sense. We cant supply the common-sense.

Are you allergic to the FAQ and search option? Most of your questions so far have been answered more than once, in great detail. Since you can type, I think you can read? Try it. You have two years to read.

Here's a thought, you are in Toronto? Go to the event Brian is planning in January. Save ALL your questions and ask them there. I dont think there's a rule that would stop you from visiting that event.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:21   #6
Ronan
Official Crybaby Chairsofter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylocks View Post
Are you allergic to the FAQ and search option? Most of your questions so far have been answered more than once, in great detail. Since you can type, I think you can read? Try it. You have two years to read.
Go FAQ Yourself!

Sorry, couldn't resist mate
Ronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:36   #7
LeGROS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
The way i see it... never never never never cheap out on safety/security.
+1

get a JG and save on the TM, but spend for the bollé!
LeGROS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:09   #8
SINN

Send a message via MSN to SINN
Quote:
Shatter proof does not mean ballistic or ANSI -rated
Exactly. If you have a plastic lense that can shatter, its like falling on hardpack wearing sunglasses..they can shatter and cut you good. This doesn't mean it will stop a projectile. Just buy paintball goggles or ANSI rated ballistics (field permitting).
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:06   #9
Donster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauholzwolf View Post
I saw these, too. Perhaps one of us should fork up the $11 and put it to the test.
+1. just buy them, and shoot them with various guns at various ranges. if they survive, you just bought yourself a good pair of cheap goggles, if they shatter, well better to find out now then in a game. taking one of these :snipe:
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 11:27   #10
Hades

Send a message via MSN to Hades
Might as well just get paintball goggles seeing 90% of the games in the GTA are at paintball fields and you cant use anything else. But hey it's your eyes and if you want to risk serious eye trauma which could leave you blind for the rest of your life by all means go right ahead but dont say we did not warn you.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:03   #11
Yuxi
Retired

Your eyes, not mine. Spend as little as you want. If it gets shot out, well, I can still see, lol.
Yuxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:15   #12
eel one

Send a message via MSN to eel one Send a message via Skype™ to eel one
Good protective eye wear is essential in this sport. But you do not need to pay a fortune for it (the Bollé Silium or Uvex i-vo safety glasses costs between 9 and 15us$ and will save your eyes, but are still only glasses). Like others have wrote, you could buy them and test them. But do test all possible entry points for a BB. Like the mesh goggles there are a number of places that needs to be tested. Lens, joints between lens and frame, the frame itself. Any connectors or brackets needs testing as a failure here can cause the goggle to fall of in the field and create a VERY dangerous situation. All need to be tested for the worst case scenario. The top of the range fully upgraded airsoft sniper weapons is putting out around 6J of muzzle energy. All parts of the goggle needs to be able to withstand multiple shots at the same place for you to be safe, with a margin in excess of just 6J. So we are talking about testing with an air gun putting out something like 10J.

In other words. There are to many thing there can go wrong. Eyes do not grow back out if you loose them, so you have to ask you self if you really is prepared to take the risk.

eel one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:29   #13
Endymion

Hitman, your profile says that you're located in Toronto. If the issue here is cost savings, buy yourself a pair of JT goggles in the Spectra or Flex line. The two more popular outdoor fields near here (Wasaga and Flag Raiders) are paintball-approved goggles only. You will not be allowed to play without pball gogs, and if you're caught wearing anything else you could end up giving the host a lot of grief and tarnishing the reputation of all airsofters.

If you have the cash to get those in addition to ballistic lenses, why are you cheaping out? :P
Endymion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:34   #14
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endymion View Post
Hitman, your profile says that you're located in Toronto. If the issue here is cost savings, buy yourself a pair of JT goggles in the Spectra or Flex line. The two more popular outdoor fields near here (Wasaga and Flag Raiders) are paintball-approved goggles only. You will not be allowed to play without pball gogs, and if you're caught wearing anything else you could end up giving the host a lot of grief and tarnishing the reputation of all airsofters.

If you have the cash to get those in addition to ballistic lenses, why are you cheaping out? :P
I didn't know the games would approve on goggles. But, where could I get these JT goggles? Locally.
I checked Crappy Tire and Wal-Mart, all they got are those full masks. I used those before in Paintball and gave them away. The fog up so easily and it even says Fog Protection! If all games approve JT goggles, than sure, I'll get them.

Also, yes, you guys are right, I went to check the goggles. The lens look pretty thick, BUT the plastic trim around the Lens holding it is pure plastic.

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:38   #15
Hades

Send a message via MSN to Hades
You just take the mask portion off the goggles. It's all removeable

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion