Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Troy 2 point battle sling - yea or nay?

:

Gear Discussion

Old April 19th, 2017, 22:55   #1
Okawesome

Troy 2 point battle sling - yea or nay?

Hi guys,

Is this sling worth buying? It's available on Amazon which normally makes me wary but Troy seems respectable.

Troy Industries Two Point Battle Sling, Coyote Tan https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001VFVTOY/..._LOb-ybW733SJZ

I have tried searching around this forum and the interwebs but can't find a lot of talk about it. Do you guys have any experience or opinions on this?

I'm also considering Ferroconcepts slingster (sold out on their site) and the BFG Vickers sling seems good too. They sit at a higher price point.

If the Troy sling isn't too inferior to these other well reviewed slings, the free shipping from Amazon Prime makes it's price point even better for me. Let me know what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 22:19   #2
Okawesome

I guess no one else may have used it! Well I pulled the trigger and ordered it today since Amazon has a great return policy. It arrives tomorrow, bless you Prime

I'll re-post here and let you know how it goes.

Old April 21st, 2017, 13:45   #3
Okawesome

OK guy so I received the sling today and I think it's well constructed. Stitching seems to be good and the length adjustment works great too.

I'm having a problem attaching it to my G36C though, so I'll post details here as a 'buyer beware' tip and also to ask for help.

This sling has a 1" strap at the front and a 1.5" strap at the rear. It doesn't come with clips which I knew, so I purchased a set of 1" HK style clips too.

The front strap works fine.

The rear strap won't fit the clip unless I double it over. I'm worried it will start fraying over time.

I want to put the rear strap on the mid sling point which is near the folding stock pin.

Can anyone help advise me of options? The ones I can think of are:

- Find a 1.5" HK sling swivel/hook - I haven't been able to find something reputable online

- Find a 1.5" QD Swivel which seems more common...but then I don't have a QD mount on my rifle's IDZ stock, or on the rifle body. It looks like there's a QD hole on the normal skeleton stock, I'm not sure.

- I would prefer to use the IDZ stock, I find it more comfortable.

- Maybe I just leave the sling doubled over at the rear.

I can post pictures here if it makes it easier to visualize, let me know.
Old April 24th, 2017, 01:41   #4
Okawesome

Ok guys quick update on this. My point of view on the Troy Industries sling is that it does a decent job as long as you have an M4 platform or other with a buttstock that has a sling slot to weave it through. I suppose this will actually be most people due to the M4 platform's popularity.

The sling itself is comfortable with the wide pad bearing the weight of the rifle, the stitching and nylon seem to be of good quality as well. The leather on the underside of the shoulder strap pad is pretty low grade and thin but hey at least it's leather in the first place.

The quick adjust system is a little annoying. It is easy to extend the sling to allow more slack but it's very difficult to take up that slack again without taking the rifle off or at least adjusting it's position to an extreme amount. Maybe it needs working in or maybe it doesn't work for my body height (5'7"). This may not be a big deal as letting the sling out must be done quickly under fire but shortening it for administrative carry is usually done when not engaged. But it's still awkward for me.

Anyways, because of the 1.5" rear webbing, I decided to order the 5.11 VTAC padded sling instead. I installed that yesterday and I really like it. 1" webbing at both sides and an easier adjustment mechanism for lengthening and shortening than the Troy. I am going to return the Troy sling.

But if the Troy had 1" webbing at both ends I would have kept it and been happy.

The Troy, at the time of this posting, has a substantial price advantage over the 5.11 at $40 vs $70.

Btw - I suppose that 2 point slings are out of fashion in favour of 1 point slings these days. Interestingly my HK style sling clips come with a secondary hole so I can clip one to another and make a hasty one point sling out of the 5.11. It's not as good as a Magpul convertible but it seems quite good.

Old April 24th, 2017, 03:22   #5
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

You could just run some Paracord through the slin holes on your G36, and attach the troy sling to the paracord as you would for the M16/M4 type sling mounts.....

Low tech solutions are very popular in Militaries for a reason...
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 11:07   #6
Okawesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato View Post
You could just run some Paracord through the slin holes on your G36, and attach the troy sling to the paracord as you would for the M16/M4 type sling mounts.....

Low tech solutions are very popular in Militaries for a reason...
I don't have a sling hook that will fit on the rear of the Troy sling due to its 1.5" width. Do you mean loop the paracord through the rear end of the Troy sling instead of using a sling hook?

I think the webbing would keep bunching up, like it does with my 1" sling hooks. Anyways, I'm happy with the 5.11 VTAC sling. Thanks for the input!

Interesting note - the Troy sling is made in USA and the 5.11 sling is made in China if that matters to you. The workmanship and design on the 5.11 sling doesn't seem inferior.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion