Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

So, getting a supressor to work with a 1911, what do I need to do?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old January 14th, 2017, 11:21   #1
XOIIO

So, getting a supressor to work with a 1911, what do I need to do?

Hey all so you may have seen the thread in guns discussion where it ended up that my suppressor was causing my gun to jam up, which really, really sucks because I love the look of the gun with a suppressor.

Now, I am trying to find out how much the gemtec outback suppressor weighs, but I'm wondering if there are any other options. I know the issue comes from the 1911 being a tilting barrel design, so is there any way to make it so that it's a fixed barrel, eliminating this issue, or some other method of using a suppressor?

The socom gear version of the we 1911 comes with that gemtec suppressor and a different extended inner and outer barrel, the outer barrel coming out of the gun to turn into 14mm threads, so it would seem that the gun can work well with the gemtec suppressor, unless the barrel design for the socom gear is changed so that it doesn't need to tilt so much? Based on looks it seems the same though.

http://www.evike.com/products/33149/

I also noticed this angel fps-up suppressor that has it's own inner barrel which mates up with the existing one in the gun, that seems pretty cool and what I sort of hoped for as an option with airsoft guns, I wonder how well they work. http://www.evike.com/products/49667/

ah right but I need to use an adapter, never mind on that I guess.

Last edited by XOIIO; January 14th, 2017 at 11:30..
XOIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 19:10   #2
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Just....don't use a supressor.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 20:13   #3
XOIIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Just....don't use a supressor.
Problem is an extended barrel will look ridiculous without one. I can cut down the one that I currently have when I use the punisher style compensator which will give me an extra inch or so of length, which will help some but probably not much.

I can't find any people complaining about issues with the socom gear jamming so I wonder if there is more to the barrel that madbull makes, maybe it is designed to tilt less, or perhaps it's a lighter material, except for one post but the guy seems to think it's the nozzle/piston, and no other posts.

Could be that it's just not bought as commonly though, I'm not sure. I sent madbull an email asking if it is designed differently to the stock WE one.
Old January 14th, 2017, 20:16   #4
XOIIO

A frame mount might be another way but I don't know if there are any that would fit a 1911, or look good with a government 1911, there are ones out there for the glock for this exact purpose which would basically be exactly what I need, time to do some googling. I do like that style look as well but it seems hicapas are the 1911's that get them.

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/dirty-leo...l#.WHrNClzhD9l

http://www.evike.com/products/54251/

I might just need to get a sexy glock at some point, I was pretty tempted to get one but I read that the grip of the glock is a pretty hit or miss thing, some people like it and to others it's just not a good fit, and I was familiar with how a 1911 felt.

Last edited by XOIIO; January 14th, 2017 at 20:20..
Old January 14th, 2017, 21:29   #5
hattrick
NAAZ's #1 fan!

Send a message via MSN to hattrick
I had a Stock TM 1911 with a metal threaded barrel & supressor.

It worked flawlessly.

What you need is a light slide, and good tolerances.

The WE 1911's have neither of those qualities.

maybe not from this .. and probably not today... but I assure you, you will die
hattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 08:22   #6
XOIIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick View Post

It worked flawlessly.

Yeah, the heavy slide is part of the reason I went for WE, aside from not being able to get a kjw one, I wanted it to be as realistic as possible in terms of weight and a heavy kick.
Old January 15th, 2017, 13:26   #7
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Are you just trying to get a higher muzzle energy from the pistol?
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 14:22   #8
XOIIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Are you just trying to get a higher muzzle energy from the pistol?
Higher FPS would be nice, I also just love the look of a suppressed pistol, it gives me special tinglies.

But around here there's basically no CQB, there's one place but apparently the owner was a dick and burned all his bridges with the airsoft community, so it's all field work, so a long barrel hidden inside the suppressor like my gun came with would be ideal because it's all field games here.

Since I have the long barrel I'm tempted to just get the gemtech outback and a thread adapter to see if it works well before shelling out for the mad bull kit, but I do want a second inner and outer barrel/hopup setup so I can quickly change between a longer barrel and suppressor, and the shorter setup with a compensator if I'm shooting too hot, or just for closer ranged stuff. (also to be able to change up the look quickly)

My chrono didn't work with bb's sadly (which does suck as it doesn't get a whole lot of use) but I probably was shooting near 380fps or so, from close range it just barely wasn't able to go through the bottom of a pop can but man did it leave a dent, and it quite easily went clean through them at various ranges.
Old January 15th, 2017, 19:18   #9
Drake
E-01

Gotta +1 the suggestion to just forget the suppressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOIIO View Post
Since I have the long barrel I'm tempted to just get the gemtech outback and a thread adapter to see if it works well before shelling out for the mad bull kit, but I do want a second inner and outer barrel/hopup setup so I can quickly change between a longer barrel and suppressor, and the shorter setup with a compensator if I'm shooting too hot, or just for closer ranged stuff. (also to be able to change up the look quickly)

You're going to regret that: I have one of those adapters and it's a flimsy, annoying setup at best; the adapter screws into the barrel clockwise, the suppressor screws on the adapter CCW from the reverse, so as you try to tighten one you loosen the other. It also shakes itself loose from the recoil.

If you're really dead set on running a suppressor, get a threaded outer barrel. Get one for Marui, it fits but will require a bit of fitting.

Which brings me to the second point (more related to your original post): you said the top of your chamber getting stuck on the slide? That sounds like a problem I encountered when installing a steel barrel+chamber (made for TM) on my MEU. I had to slightly file down the locking lugs (those 3 bands inside the slide, in front of the ejection port) to get it to cycle properly. That may or may not help you with your current problem (you'd have to make sure that's what the actual problem is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick View Post

It worked flawlessly.

TM is great is you don't mind an all-plastic gun. Upgrading a TM to full metal is a huge PITA and requires upgrading pretty much everything because the original internals aren't designed to cycle the heavier parts. And even after dumping about $500 in upgrades into it, it'll still require some tuning to get it to run "okay" ...basically like a stock WE.

I've done it a couple of times and will never do it again.
Old January 15th, 2017, 20:06   #10
XOIIO

The top of the outer barrel itself jammed on those 3 rings inside the slide, I believe it was one of the matching rings on the outer barrel that hooked onto the one on the slide resulting in it needing a lot of force to move forward, it was only after much, much troubleshooting and hair pulling I thought to push the suppressor in, and that let the slide go free each time.

My gun worked great when I just took the suppressor off of it, and it's still working fantastically now that I've taken it all back to stock, I could have kept the longer inner barrel but that looks stupid without a suppressor.

This is the same kit used in the SOCOM Gear 1911 MEU's which are just the WE's, but they come with a gemtec outback suppressor, so I'd probably do that, as I mentioned doing a quick swap would be nice, but being able to do it on the cheap for now would be nice too lol.
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/madbull-2...-meu1-meu.html

I did consider a TM/KJW conversion but apparently even the slide alone was a couple hundred dollars so I figured I would just have the extra to spend on quality parts to use in the WE frame and slide. The main thing I wanted, and will want from future airsoft guns is the closest to the real deal possible, that means if I get a glock I would want one with a metal slide and polymer body, and the WE SCAR H looks pretty nice, apparently it has really good kick, AEG's don't really have any appeal to me even if they are cheaper to run and work in cold temps.

It's going to be quite tempting to stick to real world capacity magazines as well, though if I am going with just my pistol as I likely would have to unless I rented a gun, that would be less than ideal lol.

As for the threading issue I could just use some blue threadlocker, if I get a reply to my WTB post for a gemtech outback (blackside is also recommended but the outback is smaller in length and width so will be much lighter) I'll probably give it a shot since I'll need the thing anyways.

The suppressor I have is only 66 grams, it's surprising that such a small weight can throw it off so much but it is also a 7 inch long one so it does have a lot more leverage than a 5 inch long one would have. I also am hoping someone can weigh their outback suppressor for me but haven't had any luck so far.
Old January 15th, 2017, 20:19   #11
XOIIO

I have got teflon around the inner barrel and hop up unit which probably helps some, and I have a 120% or 130% nozzle return spring coming to replace the stock one as it has one loop that's bent out, as well as a metal hop up wheel, because I chowdered teeth on the plastic one the first time I tried to reassemble it. (figured hey why not just make sure that never happens again lol).

I've heard that there might be some better hop up units, and a piston head could also be an upgrade, and of course a tighter bore barrel. I'd still like the long barrel option of course, so I may have to bite the bullet at some point and get the madbull setup, but that will be later on when.if I get some more work.

Might be tempting to get a glock 18c at that point though, we makes some around the same price as the 1911 but they don't seem as common, at least on bigger sites, have found them I think though. They are less issue prone than the 1911 too apparently. I'd want to get my hands on one to see if it's comfortable to hold or not though.

Last edited by XOIIO; January 15th, 2017 at 20:21..
Old January 15th, 2017, 21:03   #12
RainyEyes

Quote:
I have got teflon around the inner barrel and hop up unit which probably helps some, and I have a 120% or 130% nozzle return spring coming to replace the stock one as it has one loop that's bent out, as well as a metal hop up wheel, because I chowdered teeth on the plastic one the first time I tried to reassemble it. (figured hey why not just make sure that never happens again lol).
Are you sure it's not bent out of shape based on design? It looks like there's a receptive indent on the bbu to hook the spring into.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 02:51   #13
Drake
E-01

Quote:
The top of the outer barrel itself jammed on those 3 rings inside the slide, I believe it was one of the matching rings on the outer barrel that hooked onto the one on the slide resulting in it needing a lot of force to move forward, it was only after much, much troubleshooting and hair pulling I thought to push the suppressor in, and that let the slide go free each time.
Sounds like more or less the same problem: you could probably resolve it with a bit of filing and sanding, specially if you can see marks where it's sticking.

Quote:
This is the same kit used in the SOCOM Gear 1911 MEU's which are just the WE's, [...]
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/madbull-2...-meu1-meu.html
The SOCOM gears are customized WEs so they may have tuned the locking lugs in their slides to keep it from jamming. Just dropping the barrel in may result in the same problem.

Quote:
The main thing I wanted, and will want from future airsoft guns is the closest to the real deal possible
In that case maybe opt for a different suppressor than the Outback, since its for .22LR (you'd want something like a Blackside or GM45).

Quote:
It's going to be quite tempting to stick to real world capacity magazines as well, though if I am going with just my pistol as I likely would have to unless I rented a gun, that would be less than ideal lol.
On run realcap on all my guns, including my 1911. It's doable. if you plan on running a rifle though, I see even less of a point having the silenced pistol: it's going to be a PITA to try and holster and besides looks it doesn't bring anything to the table. Marginally higher FPS is meaningless. (also running 1-2cm longer with a compensator will have virtually no measurable impact on anything). You'd get more bang for your buck getting a better inner barrel, hopup rubber, and a better piston head (Nine Ball Dyna piston head; don't use the Element one. IIRC the 5KU one worked but I felt the Nine Ball worked better).

Quote:
The suppressor I have is only 66 grams, it's surprising that such a small weight can throw it off so much but it is also a 7 inch long one so it does have a lot more leverage than a 5 inch long one would have. I also am hoping someone can weigh their outback suppressor for me but haven't had any luck so far.
Pretty sure the Madbull silencers are heavier than that.
Old January 16th, 2017, 10:28   #14
XOIIO

Won't quote since it's too early to sort through stuff like that.

There is someone with a blackside, but I figured that the outback would be better since it's thinner and shorter, but maybe I should go with a blackside then, I didn't know they were for different calibers.

The locking nubs are those 3 rings I take it? I had the theory that if I sanded down the leading/trailing edge it might work properly, not sure, if that's all it would take that would be great, when madbull responds to my email I'll ask them.

If you look through this thread I have some pictures of the inner barrel somewhere and one of the edges does look a little worn down.

We 1911 slide completely locks up and is very hard to move. - Airsoft Canada

the GM45 looks beastly as hell, but it's about as long as my current one and probably much heavier. hmm.
Old January 16th, 2017, 17:26   #15
hattrick
NAAZ's #1 fan!

Send a message via MSN to hattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

TM is great is you don't mind an all-plastic gun. Upgrading a TM to full metal is a huge PITA and requires upgrading pretty much everything because the original internals aren't designed to cycle the heavier parts. And even after dumping about $500 in upgrades into it, it'll still require some tuning to get it to run "okay" ...basically like a stock WE.

I've done it a couple of times and will never do it again.

What kits were you using?

I've dropped in 6 fmu kits.

Often the slides are similar weight to the plastic counter parts.

3 of them ran supressors for (at least) a few hundred rounds.

None of them had problems using stock internals.

None of those kits were guarder. Don't get me started on that junk.

-alex

maybe not from this .. and probably not today... but I assure you, you will die

Last edited by hattrick; January 16th, 2017 at 17:42..
hattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications