Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

"sunglasses" as eye protection and the unfortunate results.

:

General

Old October 6th, 2013, 21:07   #1
TANNER
ChrisUK

"sunglasses" as eye protection and the unfortunate results.

Was reading Reddit today and came across this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments...th_an_airsoft/

Summary:

Guy was wearing smith optics protective glasses. Took a hit to the face from 20ft away @ 430f/s. BB got up under the glasses and caused a serious eye injury.

Be safe out there.
Old October 6th, 2013, 21:23   #2
HackD

Ouch, just ouch.

This certainly gives me a pause for reflection.

I've only just 'invested' in a Revision shooting glasses/prescription insert setup for 'The Hill'. I've been fighting with fogging since i've started playing - no remedy seems to be really effective with my particular combo of sweating like the out of shape mofo i am, and thick prescription glasses under goggles.

I'll need to re-evaluate whether i wish to use that setup, despite it's expense. Eyesight is priceless...

Last edited by HackD; October 6th, 2013 at 21:29..
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 21:32   #3
chaz

JT Paintball goggles work well Hack. Tons of venting and plenty of room for glasses. I can lend you a pair next time I am at the HILL. Plus, you can always put small fans on top.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 21:35   #4
DaRkCoMmAnDo

I wore Smith Optics Aegis (notice the past tense there) and I always noticed a little extra space between my face and the lens at the bottom, enough that a bb COULD go through, theoretically, but put that in the back of my mind and played on. Seemed like a real freak shot to get it in there, unless for some reason I looked up while getting shot at, which seemed unlikely outdoors.

Definitely going to switch out now though, only realizing it the danger after it unfortunately happened to someone else.

Hack, have you looked at goggles with fans? I myself haven't gotten a pair yet, but I think I will soon.
DaRkCoMmAnDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 21:39   #5
Drunk_Albertan

I wasn't wearing Smith glasses at the time but they were Oakley m-frames. I had a bb go under the bottom edges of my glasses, hit the left side of my nose and bounce around between my eye and inside of the lense of the glasses. Scared the shit out of me and hurt like a bastard. I wear tighter fitting glasses or full seal now.
Old October 6th, 2013, 21:43   #6
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

I have been using Revision Sawflys since day one and never had an issue. Not to say it wont happen, but I feel safe wearing them. I am not a big fan of wearing goggles, but I do own Revision Desert Locusts just in case I ever feel that the glasses wont cut it.
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 21:53   #7
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

always check the fit... I went through 4 or 5 different pair to find ones that fit me well.
Old October 6th, 2013, 21:55   #8
HackD

The goggles that i have been using to date are ESS's.. plenty of ventilation, plus some of the foam padding was ripped out to accommodate my glasses frames/temples, so additional air-gap for circulation is there also. I note that they do have a portion of the frame that could accommodate a fan, so i may look into that also, now.

The shooting glasses that i got, are the Revision Sawfly's also, with prescription insert. I bought them, reasoning that i've not had a side-on hit that i am aware of in the past, that would have resulted in a bouncing/deflected BB inside a lens - only direct-on 90 degree impacts to the goggle lenses so far.
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 21:57   #9
coach
aka coachster

Food for thought: avoid going prone with glasses! If you can see over the top of the lens, a BB can find an eye.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 22:27   #10
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I've always felt very safe with all the glasses I've used, but they all fit my face very well.
For helmet use I've got ESS advancer V12s which are a good balance of small size (though they're an inch thick lol), 100% coverage and breathability for anti-fogging.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 22:38   #11
Pinard
formerly Contractor 6-8, CptPinard17eRAM

oh well, I already saw someone having a BB get inside his full sealed goggles ...

that happens....shit happens. that is one case on how many people playing with this kind of goggles? anywa... be safe folks.
Old October 6th, 2013, 22:41   #12
EchoFourTwelve
Enjoy's Tight Groupings from behind in his Tight Pants

Send a message via Skype™ to EchoFourTwelve
That's just unfortunate. I hope that dude's okay (by the looks of it he will be). It could've turned out a lot worse, but personally when playing at The Hill I use my Oakley RadarLock glasses and they have been really good at stopping bb's coming at my face. If you do use Oakley's though, make sure the nose piece is fitted to your face.
Old October 6th, 2013, 23:09   #13
ccyg8774

I have heard people using swim goggles or some sun glasses for airsoft... And that didn't end very well.
Old October 6th, 2013, 23:12   #14
PaddMadd
uMadd, Padd?

Send a message via MSN to PaddMadd
That guy's pretty lucky, my eye looked the same after a hit from 30ft at 250f/s. Something tells me it would have been a lot worse without his eyepro on.

I've got a pair of Uvex safety glasses that have a rubber shield and that clips on, as well as an elastic strap that replaces the arms. After seeing(and experiencing) that regular glasses just don't cut it, I don't take any chances.
PaddMadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 23:23   #15
Sequential

Why do people even cheap out on eye-wear? Honestly your eyes are probably one of the most valuable things in your life. Using sunglasses or swimming goggles for airsoft is just the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Eye vision is priceless. Shaking my head at those who take the risk while saving a dollar or two.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General