green gas or propane adapter

:

Newbie Tank

Old October 26th, 2010, 13:39   #16
Gunny_McSmith
a.k.a. Palucol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshantz View Post
You won't have that lingering poop smell everytime you dry fire in your basement.
+1, my family got sick of the smell, I now have to go outside to fill my mags...
Old October 26th, 2010, 13:41   #17
bshantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny_McSmith View Post
+1, my family got sick of the smell, I now have to go outside to fill my mags...
And rightfully so, makes working with gas guns a pain.

GG - FTW

PP - GTFO

-----
"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

bshantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 13:44   #18
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshantz View Post

You won't have that lingering poop smell everytime you dry fire in your basement.
I think you're doing it wrong...... but whatever floats your boat fella
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 13:49   #19
bshantz

Hahaha,

Every topic I see always turns homoerotic..

*FACE PALM*

-----
"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

bshantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 15:13   #20
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooPeteK View Post
But green gas smells so nice
I would normally say, read my sig, but I changed it for a month.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 16:30   #21
Castle
a.k.a. JLiu

I enjoy the smell of propane because it's disgusting. Firing guns should not give off a nice odor.

Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 09:04   #22
mansopoor

Thanks all for your input. I was able to make a propane adapter for under $10.00, now for the silicone oil! I have read in MANY places that you can buy the oil at Wal-mart, Canadian Tire, Micheals, ETC. but they dont seem to know what I'm talking about, everyone I have talked to asked what it is used for? and I can answer them cause I don't know. So does anyone here know what it would be used for? things like sewing machines, air tools, ETC any ideas.
mansopoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 10:35   #23
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

You won't be able to find pure silicone oil from just anywhere. Even Airsoft Innovations has to buy it by the barrel from suppliers. Machine oil used for sewing machines, air tools, etc typically contains some type of petroleum distillate as well as other additives. Typically, this type of oil is NOT silicone oil.

In North America, it's special application. If you go to Canadian Tire and ask for "Silicone Oil", they'll give you a can of this stuff that will eat your o-rings alive. It's called "Silicone oil", and is used for keeping gaskets and window seals moist, but it will also swell them up and break them down with time due to the petroleum distillates present in it. It can also break down the plastics used to build the body of your gun. Even if the can does not state it contains petroleum distillates, the easiest way to tell is by the smell of the fumes that come off it. If it smells like a solvent, chances are, there are petroleum distillates (please don't inhale directly. Use the "wafting method" taught in high school chemistry class!)

Just so it's clear, the silicone oil we use is primarily NOT for lubrication. The main purpose, is to prevent the o-rings and rubbers from drying out. It keeps it moist. If you make it too slippery, things like the hop up rubber will not function properly, and you'll get problems such as dirt attraction.

Whatever it is that you find, just make sure:

1) It does not contain ANY petroleum distillates
2) It's ultra light weight... roughly 1.5wt would be what you're looking for. Anything thicker, and you will create a huge mess in your gun.

The best places to find something that meets these requirements and almost guaranteed to not affect the plastics/rubbers in airsoft, is at your local hobby shop that sells remote control cars. Ask them for "Shock oil". It's used to control rebound rate in suspension systems for RC cars. I'm not sure if it can be found in weights as light as 1.5wt, but check it out to see what's available. The last time I checked, the lightest I found was 2.5wt.

Check out the prices... it's most likely cheaper than airsoft-specific silicone oil found through ASC retailers, once you factor in shipping costs. But just so you have a reference, I sell a 50ml bottle for $6.

Last edited by ILLusion; October 29th, 2010 at 10:39..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 10:45   #24
andrew321

Hey Illusion, correct me if im wrong, but the "marker oil" sold at paintball stores would be o-ring safe? Ive had luck with it before i switched to better greases. Just because its available and sold at CT, Walmart etc.
andrew321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 10:56   #25
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Yes, I'd forgotten about paintball use when I made that post. But paintball guns would most likely use the exact same oils to keep their o-rings moist.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 11:09   #26
Matt 'Maverick' Watts

Most paintball 'gun oil' is just re-packaged Hoppe's #9 gun oil or mineral oil. Gun oil is used in only a few markers anymore (ie Tippmann 98, Spyders), more common would be dow 33 or dow 55 to lube o-rings. Not sure how they would work in airsoft applications or if I'd want to use them in airsoft applications. The dow products (also known as lube.. yeah, make your jokes..lol) are designed to swell your o-rings to better seal the paintball marker. Both 33 and 55 would be too thick to be sprayed, they would have to be directly applied to the o-rings.
Matt 'Maverick' Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank