Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Dud Deans?

:

Doctor's Corner

Old May 2nd, 2011, 00:41   #16
gunscythe

I have worked with them since the 80's (old style Deans), and never had one fail. It's a solid piece of metal...anything that could go wrong would be a solder/wire, or corrosion problem. The corrosion could be due to many things, but due to the quality of the connector can usually be cleaned or fixed somehow.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 00:57   #17
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

There's about a dozen different manufacturers of deans connectors, all of which differ slightly in size.
I've seen deans that were a whole 1mm oversize and didnt work with any other deans.
What I do to get more reliable contact for testing and charging customer guns/batteries is bend a curve on all my deans, insuring they always make contact.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:26   #18
MadMax
Delierious Designer of Dastardly Detonations

Location: in the dark recesses of some metal chip filled machine shop
There's only one manufacturer of Deans connectors. There are crummy clones, but there is only one Deans connector.

Bending a curve in the contacts isn't necessary or beneficial. The spring plate assures firm contact and flat plates provide large area contact. Warped plates would give line or point contact which wouldn't have as good a current capacity as flat plates pressed together. If you have to improve contact pressure in a clone connector, try bending the spring plate to increase the preload force.

MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:15   #19
coach
aka coachster

Put a multimeter on it. It will show continuity since it's a solid piece of metal from one end to another. If there was a break in one of the contacts, it would have to be cut. Clamp it in a vice and heat one side up while pulling on the other. Half should slide out as the plastic melts if it's broken which is highly improbable. As madmax said, it's either the solder joint is poor or there is no load in the spring to make a solid contact.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:01   #20
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachster View Post
As madmax said, it's either the solder joint is poor or there is no load in the spring to make a solid contact.
It's not the spring, it's a female like I said in my first post.
And it's not the solder joint either.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:20   #21
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
It's not the spring, it's a female like I said in my first post.
And it's not the solder joint either.
so if it's the female, an under powered soldering iron was used or a proper one was used improperly heating to the point the plastic melted and the contact shifted.

It is not the connector that failed. It was user error! Go ahead and put that multimeter on it and test for continuity before continuing with this complaint that a connector failed! The plastic block melted. Plain and simple.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:49   #22
Styrak

No it's not melted. And even if it was slightly melted it would still have a connection.
Also I don't have a multimeter.

I haven't even looked at it again but maybe I will today or tomorrow.

And it's two solid blocks of metal, this doesn't make sense.

Last edited by Styrak; May 2nd, 2011 at 08:57..
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:04   #23
venture

I also had this problem with a genuine Dean's connector. And no, like Styrak, I did not melt the insulator. The problem turned out to be a loose connector and connector slot in the female Dean's plug. It would not work reliably with other genuine Dean's or with my 2 different kinds of clones. Both of which have been tested by myself and all 3 work well together.

If I took a small splinter of wood and wedged it in behind the connector and pushed it physically into the connector slot then I could make it work somewhat. Like Styrak I ended up discarding the very expensive connector and replacing it with another at my cost. I have since ordered more of the clones (the ones that are actually gold plated) and I am recommending them to my customers as "best bang for the buck".

I am still carrying genuine Dean's for those customers who demand brand name everything, but for those on a budget the clones are great. Their drawback is a lower melting point of the insulator. Care must be taken not to overheat the insulator when soldering the connection.

Visit us at :www.ventureairsoft.ca

Last edited by venture; May 2nd, 2011 at 11:06..
venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:08   #24
coach
aka coachster

the melting isn't always going to be visible. since the metal blocks run through the inside, it would melt from the inside around the metal first. must have been just enough to not mate at all with the male end.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:48   #25
m102404
Tys

I had an intermittent problem with "connection break" on my charger...I had charged LOTS of different batteries with all types of connectors previously over time.

I had made up a series of adaptors from the charger...+/- bullet plugs in the charger to Deans male...deans female to large...large to small. I'd just resort to whatever plug in the sequence that I needed for whatever battery.

When I had the odd connection break issue I couldn't figure it out...battery looked good, battery connectors looked good (I had just cut off the tamiya and put on a deans)...multimeter check on the batt was ok.

Turned out one of the connections on the charger's deans plug had come loose...probably from me pulling on it (I wish the plugs had a little pull loop on them). Not so loose as to fully disconnect...the shrink wrap was holding it connected (enough) in most positions...but when I hooked up in a certain position on the table I'd get a connection break. Quick resolder of the charger end and it was all good.

I've also had issues before with the wires just after the Deans corroding/breaking. On one of the last ones I saw the deans solder was good...but just behind it in the shielding the wiring was corroded and several strands were broken. A good tug and the remaining wires snapped. I suspect that water/etc had gotten in and corroded the wires. Not visible from the outside as it was sort of shrink wrapped and taped.

Another one I had was where a connector in a pack was loose. The shrinkwrap/packaging would sort of hold the connection...but there was a definite break in the pack if it was stressed the right way.

So...if it's a goofy electrical issue...go back to basics. Charger...battery...wiring harness. Personnaly I find it easier to bin a gremlin battery pack or to simply rewire a mechbox than it is to pin down a phantom electrical break.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:53   #26
Styrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
Personnaly I find it easier to bin a gremlin battery pack or to simply rewire a mechbox than it is to pin down a phantom electrical break.
Yeah this connector is going in the garbage. Might investigate first though just because it's interesting.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 14:39   #27
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

The other issue is when people overheat the connector when soldering on the leads.
This causes the material to melt around the pin inside the connector, it typically runs over the pin on it's edges, causing interference between the two connectors when you put them together.
Make sure there isn't any molten plastic buildup on the edges of the inside of the connector.

And modify makes oversize deans connectors. I bought a huge pack of real brand deans, and they are absolutely not interchangeable with the modify connectors.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner