Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Is "No Duff" Still a Thing?

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old April 2nd, 2018, 13:55   #1
Flaming Salami

Is "No Duff" Still a Thing?

Not sure where else to post this.

Anyways, I was at a game yesterday with lots of players. The field was really muddy and I watched an enemy player running full-tilt fall and hit his back really hard. After everyone stopped shooting at him I was watching to see if he would get up but he was obviously hurt quite badly and was in pain.

A few of us tried to get the ref's attention but nobody was assisting him, including his own teammates who couldn't have been more than 10ft in front of him. I decided to start calling "no duff" because this guy was clearly hurt, and a bunch of people started calling it. Still no ref or players close to him were responding to that and they kept playing. So I kept calling no duff and ran towards him myself. I got lit up a bunch of times while calling no duff and running with my arms up towards him, and even when I was on the ground trying to assist him and see what was wrong I was still getting shot at!

I thought that "no duff" was a common-knowledge thing amongst airsofters. After more people were yelling ceasefire, everyone got the message. But my goodness it took way longer than it should have for people to stop firing, especially the players right beside this guy. On a side note, I didn't hear any actions on injured player during the briefing before the game. And I got a video of all this too on my GoPro.

Thoughts?

TL;DR: a player was injured and I called no duff to assist him, wound up getting shot at for a long time before people realized what was going on.
Flaming Salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 14:14   #2
nardac

I was at the top of hill and saw you run to his aid. I didn't see what happened, as I had just come around building. Once guys heard "no duff" at top of hill it got echoed back, some knew what it meant, others did not. I also then heard "cease fire".

I don't recall "no duff" covered in the safety brief, I'd suggest bringing it up to Hamish and the staff.
nardac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 14:41   #3
hamishflagswipe

Something we can certainly do going forward. I'll have our staff add it to the rules going forward.

Thanks for coming out on sunday!
hamishflagswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 14:47   #4
shonit123

No Duff seems to be more of a thing CF side,

i've only ever heard Cease fire for airsofting, seems like it would make more sense anyways for the average person.
shonit123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 15:17   #5
DuffMan

Send a message via ICQ to DuffMan Send a message via MSN to DuffMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonit123 View Post
i've only ever heard Cease fire for airsofting, seems like it would make more sense anyways for the average person.
No Duff has always been the call in the past. It was very confusing for me.

"He resisted. I asked him to comply."
"Telling him to 'eat it, bitch' is not really a request."
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 15:30   #6
Ourindar

It's still in use in Nova Scotia. NSA has it in their waivers/rules docs and ICBA (my 'home' org) has it in ours as well. It's something we generally explain to new people.
Seems to me like a communication failure somewhere, though I think most people would stop shooting on most fields seeing someone injured or cross the field with hands up yelling something.
Ourindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 16:35   #7
RainyEyes

We use something similar at siege as well. I doubt it's common knowledge for some of the newbies though if they've never heard of it.

But from context when you see someone on the floor you'd thing people could "read the room" and know to stop shooting.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 17:03   #8
Desmodus
Mexifaggot

No Duff has always been the standard at any game I've gone to. Shitty that it took so long for everyone to stop shooting. I hope the injured player is okay!

Primaries: LCT AK74MN w/SKTBR, VFC M4 SOPMOD Block 2
Secondary: Latino heat, TM Glock 17
Desmodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 17:03   #9
Flaming Salami

I'm not really upset about what happened I was more or less surprised that not many people knew what it meant. When I started airsofting 7 or 8 years ago I learned it pretty early on.

Even if "no duff" isn't the call, I think that actions on injury should definitely be covered in every single game brief. Perhaps, I'll just message the staff at the field and let them know.
Flaming Salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 17:05   #10
leth1337

the community is dropping the ball assuming new players and new hosts are learning the things we've all come to think are common sense. no duff has always been a thing at any event i've been to but the hosts made sure to include it in the safety briefing or at the very least having their own version
Old April 2nd, 2018, 19:55   #11
Danke

For the safety call in general. Yeah for sure a CF thing and ASSUMEing people will know what it means gets us you know what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
No Duff has always been the call in the past. It was very confusing for me.
DuffMan; all Duff, all the time.

Whenever a no duff call goes out he sadly packs his gear and goes home again. Skunked again he thinks!
Old April 2nd, 2018, 20:10   #12
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonit123 View Post
No Duff seems to be more of a thing CF side,

"No duff" has been standard call for a medical emergency across the prairies for at least 12 years now.
"Cease fire" is used to cease fire for any reason other than a medical emergency.
Being able to specify between medical emergencies and normal game stoppages tends to help response rate to medical emergencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Salami View Post
I thought that "no duff" was a common-knowledge thing amongst airsofters.
It's only common knowledge so long as it's commonly taught.
I make sure it's part of the briefing at every game I go to. But you know how some children (airsofters) are. Either not paying attention or can't understand basic english.
Some of us (infrequently) still get shot at during a no duff. And it's always under such dumb conditions as being shot as a dead player:
"That guy is moving around with his gun down in a very non threatening manner! shoot him!"
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 20:25   #13
Danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
"No duff" has been standard call for a medical emergency across the prairies for at least 12 years now.
"Cease fire" is used to cease fire for any reason other than a medical emergency.
Being able to specify between medical emergencies and normal game stoppages tends to help response rate to medical emergencies.

It's only common knowledge so long as it's commonly taught.
I make sure it's part of the briefing at every game I go to. But you know how some children (airsofters) are. Either not paying attention or can't understand basic english.
Some of us (infrequently) still get shot at during a no duff. And it's always under such dumb conditions as being shot as a dead player:
"That guy is moving around with his gun down in a very non threatening manner! shoot him!"

Probably whistle blasts for a bigger field where a voice yelling no duff may not carry.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 01:29   #14
Kungpow

I am guessing "No Duff" is an established term on some fields. Ceasefire is almost a no brainer.

Perhaps the players that were still playing/shooting were doing so because they saw others still shooting and playing.

3 whistle blows, or air horn blows should be able to stop the game too.

TM Glock 18 "Upgraded"

AGM M4A1 GBBR "Upgraded"

King Arms M4A1 GBBR
Kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2018, 15:48   #15
bomber439

"No Duff" is in use at our field. It is in our rule book and is covered during briefing. The message is passed on by voice yelling and radios. Players are expected to make safe, stop all movement, keep radio silence and await further instructions.

Aging is a disease and everyone has it. A pandemic for which there is no vaccine. And, if you live long enough, it will kill you.

bomber439 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures