Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

MOD: ICS Sig Mid Caps

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old January 28th, 2011, 00:58   #1
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

MOD: ICS Sig Mid Caps

I have been looking for ICS compatible Sig mid caps for a while now but the only thing I have come across are other ICS Sig owners looking for the same thing. I remember reading in a thread once that it is somehow possible to modify TM compatible mags to fit the ICS so I got some to give it a try.

Here is how I moded midcap mags to fit and feed in the ICS Sig 55X. I hope that this thread will be useful to anyone who is in the same predicament I was.

This mod is very easy to do and should take you no more than 15 mins.

Found some Mag brand 100rnd mid caps http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=1065

This rather large and brutish metal file is the only tool I used, I would have preferred something smaller and more delicate but it was all I had.

Step 1: Modify what I will call the BB retention tab. If you look at the mag on the left you will notice a small flat spot on top of the tab, you'll need to file this flat spot away and "ramp" the tab so it resembles the one on the right. This is so the hop-up can properly push the tab aside and allow BB's to feed. Only remove as much material as you need to by testing it gently along the way, don't force it or you may ruin your hop-up. You'll know if you got it when the mag will insert all the way into the mag well, test it with some BB's loaded if a few fall out when you pull the mag away you're done.
Note that the mag will not yet "click" in place you will take care of this next.

Step 2: Ok now the mag is feeding and you want to get it locked into place. You need to remove material from what I will call the rear mag catch. If you look at the picture you'll see I have removed about 1mm of material from the catch. You want to take your time with this testing as you go, you can always file away more but you can't put it back on, everyone hates a wobbly mag. You also want to try to keep the filed surface as straight and as perpendicular to the mag as possible, this will minimize your mag wobble. You'll know you're done when... you guessed it you hear that sweet click and the mag locks into place. Again don't force it, if it's tough to get in take a little more off.

There's one more thing you should probably do and thats clean out the plastic filings from the mag. Turn it upside down and look for the the circular thumb screw. Turn it 90 degrees and pull it out along with the spring and spring guide, actually you're probably best off to have the spring out while performing step 1. Now be careful because the contents are under pressure and the guide may go flying across the room get lodged behind your couch and take you 15 mins to find. I mean.. I imagine that sort of thing could happen if you're not careful. Now blow out the mag using some compressed air, if you don't have any compressed air a long pipe cleaner will do. You may also chose to blow the filings out with your mouth but I would recommend against it as you will introduce moisture into the mag which can rust the spring. Reassemble and you're finished. You may chose to omit the spring guide when reassembling, this will allow you fit more BB's in the mag but may cause poor feeding as it will undermine the strength of the spring. I have not yet run the mag without the spring guide. You could also try to trim the guide and find to happy middle ground.

**Edit: I have run this modified mag through 20+ times now both on semi and full auto with zero feeding issues.**

Hope this helps you out enjoy!

Link

Last edited by Kozzie; December 7th, 2015 at 23:39..
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 01:30   #2
Off_kilter

this makes me want a sig even more
Off_kilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 15:00   #3
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off_kilter View Post
this makes me want a sig even more
Well good!
More people should own an ICS Sig that way we won't have to do stuff like this.

Last edited by Kozzie; January 28th, 2011 at 19:38..
Old April 16th, 2011, 19:05   #4
HaZarD SFD

Thx Kozzie. Your a good man. Hope to see you on the field sometime.
Old April 18th, 2011, 19:41   #5
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

Not if I see you first

Last edited by Kozzie; December 1st, 2015 at 21:15..
Old July 9th, 2011, 17:58   #6
S.N.A.F.U

they sell compatible ones on airsoft parts, sadly,they ship tm ones... so i did this mod... and they work perfect.. the only issuei had was with the bb retention tab.. virtually impossible to access however, with bb's loaded, it gen fit far enough back to load no problem also i noticed the mag well (the portion inside the weapon where the mag fits) was made to fit the mag brand mags, which fit with the "bb retention tab" and therefore the rectangular assembly immediatly dorsal to it the opposite way of the Tm mags, so i gave her a quick file to make it fit snug, rather than strainingly tight, if anyone wants pics of what i mean, i can provide them.

Last edited by S.N.A.F.U; July 22nd, 2011 at 21:05.. Reason: info update
S.N.A.F.U is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications