Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Upgrading ICS M4

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old February 10th, 2006, 08:47   #1
Kid

Upgrading ICS M4

This may sound stupid to people that have not attempted to upgrade an ICS, but I'm being told that some of these parts, not being specific, will not work. Now, that is not really from experience... Anyway, *crap* if these don't work... it's G&P for me!

So, what I have on my list is this (will be running with a Guarder 85 spring and ICS bushings/tappet)

Guarder Hop Bucking (the clear one) US$4.00

SystemA Teflon Cylinder Set for M4A1 US$53.60
(that includes the Silent head and the Teflon coated cylinder)

Guarder Spring Guide for Gearbox Ver.2 US$12.50
(with the bearings... metal one)

SystemA Long Type Motor (High Speed) US$38.50

SystemA Spring Set for Gearbox Ver.2/3 US$4.50
(spring for tappet plate is really the one I need)

Guarder Polycarbonate Piston for TM AEG Series US$21.00
Or the Systema Red? Would that be better?

If you can only comment about specific parts, that's fine.

I DO NOT want any 'I assume' 'I amagine' etc. And any 'I hear' ones have to be from a good source. (say, Greylocks put these in his ICS and the gun lit on fire)

Thanks!

Also, I may as well add, will other mechboxes, the SystemA complete mechbox in particular, fit in the ICS?
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 19:01   #2

In my ICS m4's I run these parts with no problems.

ics brass bushings
ics metal guides
guarder pistons
systema silent head
ics silent head
factory bucking
pdi 120 spring
pdi 140

I also have the systems spring set, and they are not nearly as stiff as the ics set.

hope this helps
350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 19:27   #3
Mantelope
Scotty aka harleyb

Send a message via AIM to Mantelope Send a message via MSN to Mantelope
The ICS I worked on had nylon bushings... if yours has them too, obviously they need to be replaced. Be wary however, and read up on replacing ICS bushings... there are issues with the holes in the mechbox being too small and what-not.

I've heard from multiple reliable sources that the clear Guarder hop sleeve is shit; go with the black. Oh, and the "bucking" is just the little tiny piece of rubber that goes above the sleeve.

It's advisable that if you're replacing multiple parts, you go with parts from the same company. I'd suggest a Systema spring guide and piston if the rest of your parts are Systema. The possible exception to this rule is Guarder... in some scenarios, single Guarder parts are fine for stock replacements, but if you try to use Guarder parts for everything you run into trouble. Just a heads up.
Old February 12th, 2006, 19:38   #4
Kid

Hey! Thanks for the info, I'll definately consider this...

I say consider because no I think I will go Classic Army instead...
...brand new M15A4 CQB for $600, how can I let that by?

It was just that the Classic Army costs only $200 more than all the parts I had in mind...

And yes, I did also have ICS bushings on my list. But I assumed that would work, so I didn't feel like it was necesary to ask about that.

So basically, I'm giving up my ICS for now. I may go back to it someday, though the next ones after the Classic Army would be G&P, VFC, and FMC.
Never considered a TM in my life. Just because if I bought one, I would end up making it all metal and wood, etc.

Does anyone know, will the Systema, or really any after market gearbox fit in the ICS?

I'm assuming no... but hey, it's airsoft, I'm used to surprises.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 20:34   #5
odp

No other gearbox fits in the ICS. But then a gain, why would you want a different one? There doesn't seem to be any problems with durability and they're quick to replace and work on.
odp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 00:19   #6
mcguyver

Just for the record Kid, I took a look at an ICS tappet vs. a Gaurder enhanced tappet just a few minutes ago. I tried the Gaurder in the ICS mechbox, and it's too sloppy for my liking, but I'm fussy.

The ICS tappet has an extra ridge molded onto the top for about 3 inches and this ridge keeps it from being too slopply in the ICS box, but causes it to be too tight for a Marui, G&G or other mechboxes. You can use the ICS tappet in Marui boxes, but you have to file down that ridge. I removed it with a Dremel and it slides easily now in a Marui box.

The Gaurder is a fine looking tappet, but I wouldn't feel comfortable installing it with it being as sloppy as it is in an ICS mechbox.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 17:32   #7
heikis

sorry for digging, but i have added the guarder tappet plate on order for my ICS M4 (havent payed yet, though). anybody have more experience with the guarder tappet plate and the ics m4 combo?
heikis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 17:36   #8
KND
* AV revoked *

Quote:
Originally Posted by heikis View Post
sorry for digging, but i have added the guarder tappet plate on order for my ICS M4 (havent payed yet, though). anybody have more experience with the guarder tappet plate and the ics m4 combo?
As long as it's for V2 the it's fit fine.

There are only a few part that V2 is not fit.

-Air Nozzle, longer than regular
-Anti Reversal latch
-Hop up unit, can modify a one piece to fit, did on mine but fail to do, missfeeding
-If you change the motor, must change the gear as well or want to use stock gear then take out opinon on stock ICS put on new motor because regular motor and regular opinon won't fit on ICS gear, the teeth is different.

The rest are V2 mechbox, for sure not the mechbox.

KND

KND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 16:55   #9
heikis

a little update.
my current ICS M4 upper box:

Guarder Air Nozzle for M4A1/M16A2 AEG
Guarder Enhanced Tappet Plate for Marui Ver.2 Gear Box
Guarder Upgrade Cylinder for Marui M4A1/SR16
Guarder Stainless Steel Cylinder Head for Ver.2 Gearbox

so far everything seems to be ok.. or not. I did get a weird misfeed issue once (the bb-s rolled out the barrel). i took out the upper box and the tappet plate was somehow stuck and didnt move correctly. a bit fiddling and it was moving fine again. i have done about 250 shots and the misfeed occured somewhere in the middle.
i will give updates if any misfeeds occur again. i am really worried about the combo of the guarder tappet&nozzle since ICS m4 is known to be picky about non-ICS parts.
heikis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 19:34   #10
Gun down

Hey Kid! If you want really good parts for your ICS, I would go with Modify parts. I've used them in my ICS MP5 SD5 and they work great.
Gun down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 21:37   #11
HaZarD SFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Just for the record Kid, I took a look at an ICS tappet vs. a Gaurder enhanced tappet just a few minutes ago. I tried the Gaurder in the ICS mechbox, and it's too sloppy for my liking, but I'm fussy.

The ICS tappet has an extra ridge molded onto the top for about 3 inches and this ridge keeps it from being too slopply in the ICS box, but causes it to be too tight for a Marui, G&G or other mechboxes. You can use the ICS tappet in Marui boxes, but you have to file down that ridge. I removed it with a Dremel and it slides easily now in a Marui box.

The Gaurder is a fine looking tappet, but I wouldn't feel comfortable installing it with it being as sloppy as it is in an ICS mechbox.
I will admit that the ICS Tappet is stiffer and more reliable. Hell the spring for the Tappet busted a KA one in my ICS upper.. fucking waste of cash.. IMHO always have a spare.

Quote:
As said before if you can get ICS great. If not then your taking a chance. I only have used ICS and King Arms and the King Arms failed.. my ics tappet ive run for a year already and the previous owner for however long and only the catch for the spring is kinda bent and minimal wear on the back end

Quote:
Originally Posted by KND View Post
As long as it's for V2 the it's fit fine.

There are only a few part that V2 is not fit.

-Air Nozzle, longer than regular
-Anti Reversal latch
-Hop up unit, can modify a one piece to fit, did on mine but fail to do, missfeeding
-If you change the motor, must change the gear as well or want to use stock gear then take out opinon on stock ICS put on new motor because regular motor and regular opinon won't fit on ICS gear, the teeth is different.

The rest are V2 mechbox, for sure not the mechbox.

KND
KND is 100% correct on all these. IMHO go with ICS hopup's less to work on and you know it will work when you get it.

Quote:
a little update.
my current ICS M4 upper box:

Guarder Air Nozzle for M4A1/M16A2 AEG
Guarder Enhanced Tappet Plate for Marui Ver.2 Gear Box
Guarder Upgrade Cylinder for Marui M4A1/SR16
Guarder Stainless Steel Cylinder Head for Ver.2 Gearbox

so far everything seems to be ok.. or not. I did get a weird misfeed issue once (the bb-s rolled out the barrel). i took out the upper box and the tappet plate was somehow stuck and didnt move correctly. a bit fiddling and it was moving fine again. i have done about 250 shots and the misfeed occured somewhere in the middle.
i will give updates if any misfeeds occur again. i am really worried about the combo of the guarder tappet&nozzle since ICS m4 is known to be picky about non-ICS parts.
Ive only run ICS metal nozzles (BB denting or chipping is total BS imho) Looks like you might have a slight bind with that plastic nozzle if thats what your using from guarder. if so that middle ledge on the nozzle shave it to an angle going towards the mechbox with an exacto and it will work 100% after that. DOnt need to take apart the mechbox to do so.. keep it right on the gun.. just dont press too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun down View Post
Hey Kid! If you want really good parts for your ICS, I would go with Modify parts. I've used them in my ICS MP5 SD5 and they work great.
Modify pistons are shiat. Some of their parts I wouldnt touch. How long have you run your gun? Lutnit and I have seen major compatability issues with modify parts in ics as we both have bought, fixed, our own and others with their parts.. Buyer beware.
Old May 7th, 2009, 21:39   #12
HaZarD SFD

BTW I have enough parts for a 2nd ics mechbox lol.. so if you need a part pm me as I probably have it.
Old April 8th, 2012, 23:35   #13
Peewee

Hey sry to dig but the piston in my ICS M4A1 broke and i didnt want to start a new thread,

would you guys recommend the PSEM 7 tooth Steel Teeth Piston? the teeth on my piston broke so i want to go metal. my gears are metal as well so should be fine.
Peewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 23:52   #14
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewee View Post
Hey sry to dig but the piston in my ICS M4A1 broke and i didnt want to start a new thread,

would you guys recommend the PSEM 7 tooth Steel Teeth Piston? the teeth on my piston broke so i want to go metal. my gears are metal as well so should be fine.
Well, you can go with a metal toothed piston, then replace the gears next jam.
Or buy a TM piston set and never have to worry about it (unless you run stupid high FPS, but then again other parts will break too)

You didn't have to dig this thread, 2 seconds search and you would have known that ALL pistons fit the ICS rifles... and that generally metal toothed ones are crap, even in "higher end" brands.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 00:16   #15
Peewee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos-Mos View Post
Well, you can go with a metal toothed piston, then replace the gears next jam.
Or buy a TM piston set and never have to worry about it (unless you run stupid high FPS, but then again other parts will break too)

You didn't have to dig this thread, 2 seconds search and you would have known that ALL pistons fit the ICS rifles... and that generally metal toothed ones are crap, even in "higher end" brands.
im still new to airsoft so im gonna ask this lol. why do you say that my gears will jam on that piston?

also whats a good site to get the piston you recommend? i dont see it on torontoairsoft and thats normally where i look for prices.
Peewee is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications