Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Systema TW5 SD6 Project

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old December 5th, 2014, 21:04   #1
Karma_

Systema TW5 SD6 Project

I finally got around to completing the project that I've been meaning to do for the last few years. I originally hacked up a VFC slide stock to fit the TW5 a couple years ago and then it sat. I recently picked up a G&G SD6 from a member on here and began the hack job of combining the two guns together. It was a pain in the ass. There may be a better brand to do the conversion, but I made it work. Overall, I'm quite happy with the way it turned out. It's solid and looks clean. I'll try to describe some of the aspects of the build but my MP5 terminology is lacking. I'll be making up names so just roll with it.

In the picture below I ended up JB Welding two halves together to make it fit right. I couldn't keep the Systema charging tube(?) stock and mate the sight post of the G&G without it looking like garbage. I cut both parts in just the right places then mated them together. You can sort of see a seam line where the tube tapers. I then repainted it. It was a hack but looks great now. You wouldn't know it if it wasn't pointed out.

In the next photo I had to enlarge the suppressor adapter so the inner barrel could get through. Looks nice and clean.

In this photo it shows the heat shield guard thing. In order for this to fit I had to remove some material from the outer barrel and the charging tube. Not a lot, but enough so the screw points could mate up. At the rear of the handguard, the TW5 is a bit big for the heat shield to tighten properly. I didn't care enough to start removing material from it. It's a touch wide but the ribbed(?) part slides over fine enough.

In this picture I'm showing an FCC positive to negative thread adapter. The TW5 is positive, the G&G suppressor adapter is negative. I didn't want to completely disassemble the gun for viewing pleasure but, I had to cut off some of the outer barrel end so that things would line up properly. The FCC adapter was perfect for this job. Thanks Tanner for having this kicking around!

Looking at the photos, things look pretty clean but the process was not. A lot of little careful work to make sure things lined/mated up nicely. Overall though, I quite happy with how it turned out and it's a rare piece for sure.

In hindsight, I probably should have documented this a little better. I'm not sure how helpful this is to anyone interested in doing it. Figure it out yourself!

The cost of being legit is high
Karma_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 23:12   #2
mr_nuts31

Two things I would like to know because I wanted to do a similar build with my TW-5, first is how difficult it was to install the VFC stock onto the TW-5. Second is how you handle the battery placement.
mr_nuts31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 23:38   #3
Danke

See the cutout section where the fore grip fits. The battery goes there.
Old December 6th, 2014, 13:40   #4
Karma_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
See the cutout section where the fore grip fits. The battery goes there.
Negative. The battery goes in the charging tube so that had to be modified as well. You lose the fun factor of the non working charging handle, but it's for the greater good.

I don't think you could run the battery in the foregrip on the TW5's.

The cost of being legit is high
Karma_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 13:51   #5
Danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma_ View Post
Negative. The battery goes in the charging tube so that had to be modified as well. You lose the fun factor of the non working charging handle, but it's for the greater good.

How big is the battery if it fits in the charging tube but not underneath?

I think you do need more pictures!
Old December 6th, 2014, 19:23   #6
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

It wouldn't be good to front wire a PTW, they don't have the wiring options.
Old December 6th, 2014, 21:04   #7
mr_nuts31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma_ View Post

Wait, if you put the battery inside the gas tube, then what did you do with the fuse?
mr_nuts31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 12:56   #8
Ranger11
Extra Salty and vinegar

PTW's use a blade fuse on the mosfet, so there is no "inline" fuse to speak of like a stock AEG would have.
Ranger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 20:32   #9
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

He's likely using a short board, Airsoft Surgeon, FCC, Systema, etc. Also I imagine a milspec tube for the little extra room.
Old December 7th, 2014, 21:34   #10
mcguyver

TW5 FET board is inside the gearbox. Only the fuseholder is external, and it is very small.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications