Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Night Vision Review: D-300 Gen2HP VS PVS-14 Gen3 AG

:

Reviews

Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:00   #1
Karma_

Night Vision Review: D-300 Gen2HP VS PVS-14 Gen3 AG

Apparition (Tyler) and I got together to do some comparison shots between the D-300 and the PVS-14. I've had the D-300 in the Gen2 mil-spec version and the High Performance version. The HP version is much better than the MS version. As a comparison between the 3, the lp/mm is in the Gen3 range with the Gen2 HP, while the MS version is much lower. Here's the numbers

PVS-14 Gen3 lp/mm: 64-72
D-300 Gen2 HP lp/mm: 51-70
D-300 Gen2 MS lp/mm: 28-38

I suppose mentioning the D-300 MS is pointless as I didn't use one for this comparison. Maybe another time.

The first photos are a side by side comparison between the models. The PVS-14 is lighter as it has a plastic housing while the D-300 is metal. The D-300 also has about 1 inch in length over the PVS-14.

We took various photos to give an idea of the performance between the PVS-14 and the D-300 HP. Please note with these photos we didn't use any IR.

The first sequence was taken in my basement with no lights. There was a little light coming from the upstairs level but with the naked eye, it was pitch black.

The first photo taken was obviously just black. The camera makes it darker than it was but not by much. Distance from me to the back wall is about 30'.

Basement

D-300 HP

PVS-14

Next group of shots were taken outside. There was a half moon with a light cloudy sky, lights from houses and buildings in the distance. Tyler is standing in front of a tree up a hill about 100'.

Note: The photos with the PVS-14 are a little washed out at times. We didn't play with the gain at all and it was turned up all the way. I think we could have had better photos turning it down a bit.

D-300 HP

PVS-14

The following I used the camera's zoom because Tyler was giving some kind of hand gesture

D-300 HP

PVS-14

The next group Tyler is somewhere in the 350-400' range for distance.

D-300 HP

PVS-14

The gain is up too high on the PVS-14 in the last one making it a little hard to see the target. The clear winner here though is the PVS-14. The PVS-14 is brighter and sharper in resolution.

When comparing price wise, the D-300 is $1000-1500 less than the PVS-14 so it does make it a worthy contender when factoring price. While the D-300 doesn't have the "legitness" that the PVS-14 offers, for the price the D-300 is the "best bang for the buck".

The D-300 also utilizes the same mounting hardware as the PVS-14. Both units can be weapon mounted or head mounted. I did discover though that the Norotos Dual Dovetail adapter doesn't seat as well on the D-300 as the PVS-14. I wasn't able to try a Wilcox J-arm either to see how it mounts. The standard USGI mount and J-arm do work fine though.

The cost of being legit is high
Karma_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 13:17   #2
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Excellent review Karma, I was wondering how well those D300's do. Great side by side comparison.
c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 17:52   #3
Karma_

Thanks C3sk. The D-300's are pretty solid units.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 20:37   #4
Kimbo
formerly pivot

Nice to see a side by side comparison.

I'm still happily married after buying my D300, so I don't even want to look through the PVS-14.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 16:12   #5
Dirtbag

Just in case someone has a whack money and thinks they will get one they are illegal to export from the US. As in you can be arrested as an importer and the exporter will be, they have zero tolerance on this stuff.

It is possible to export them for very specific military and law enforcement purposes.

Gen 1 and Gen 2 are it and many outfits won't ship them because rules change too often.

So be very careful around night vision purchases, also there were more than a few fakes sold.

Eastern European stuff imported directly is no problem, but difficult to buy as the quality is all over the place. In night vision you get what you pay for.

On the upside nice review, I always wonder how the higher end D300 compared to teh PVs-14
Dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 16:52   #6
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
Just in case someone has a whack money and thinks they will get one they are illegal to export from the US. As in you can be arrested as an importer and the exporter will be, they have zero tolerance on this stuff.

It is possible to export them for very specific military and law enforcement purposes.

Gen 1 and Gen 2 are it and many outfits won't ship them because rules change too often.

So be very careful around night vision purchases, also there were more than a few fakes sold.

Eastern European stuff imported directly is no problem, but difficult to buy as the quality is all over the place. In night vision you get what you pay for.

On the upside nice review, I always wonder how the higher end D300 compared to teh PVs-14

While we're on the topic of smuggling, it is not recommended to bring that 1/4lb of cocaine across the border with you from Columbia.

Customs does not have a sense of humor with regards to drugs.

Also, burning CDs you've copied from a friend is illegal in the US, Canada doesn't give a shit. Also, jaywalking is pretty bad, you might get fined. Or maybe a strong slap on the wrist. Or not.

Upside: D300 is pretty cool Karma_, I need the camera adapter for my PVS14.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.

Last edited by ShelledPants; April 3rd, 2012 at 16:52.. Reason: included quote
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 17:54   #7
PrIeSt
takagari

Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
What's the price tag on the d300?
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 18:54   #8
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by takagari View Post
What's the price tag on the d300?
http://doubletaptactical.ca/Night-Vi...-Tube-p72.html

Cheapest price I've found, US prices are the same... So quite a good deal.

What type of sac lens can the D300 take?
Old April 3rd, 2012, 23:00   #9
kullwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3sk View Post
http://doubletaptactical.ca/Night-Vi...-Tube-p72.html

Cheapest price I've found, US prices are the same... So quite a good deal.

That's Mil-spec aka the lower quality one, High Performence one is about $200-300 more on US eBay

Now I'm torn, before NV was a no-no for me 100% b/c people said PVS-14 and up or go home (which I support after seeing through PVS-14) now I'm not sure.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 23:53   #10
Karma_

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3sk View Post
Good question. I'm not sure. To my knowledge, there isn't one purpose made for the D-300.

The HP D-300 is $2200.

I'm going to update this thread in the near future with the gain adjusted on the PVS-14 and bring in a Gen 1 unit as well.

Old April 4th, 2012, 00:51   #11
apparition

if your just wanting a good NV system for your buck, D300 hands down is a great price for the unit! i also had the HP before hand and it worked fantastically. The PVS-14 just has a few extra features and a some what better quality in terms of clarity in darkness with minimal light. But overall the D300 definately is a contender in terms of quality to price ratio. I wouldnt hesistate to pick up a D300 again if something were to happen to my PVS-14.

Congratulations; you have already won the contest!
apparition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:20   #12
thpethalK
ksuechuc

where are you people finding all of these PVS-14s...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyissue View Post
Saying that you are trying to prevent bad Airsoft publicity while generating negitave Airsoft publicity on a nationally monitored Firearm web site is like fucking for Virginity.
thpethalK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:33   #13
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuechuc View Post
where are you people finding all of these PVS-14s...
They get posted for sale on ASC on a regular basis now.
Search function yielded the following results:

http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread....ghlight=pvs-14

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthr...ghlight=pvs-14

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthr...ghlight=pvs-14
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:42   #14
thpethalK
ksuechuc

Everytime I think about getting one, one goes banana not too long before I start looking lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyissue View Post
Saying that you are trying to prevent bad Airsoft publicity while generating negitave Airsoft publicity on a nationally monitored Firearm web site is like fucking for Virginity.
thpethalK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 21:56   #15
kullwarrior

Out of curiousity does any one know who is the Intensifier tube manufacture is? (and model if known?)

I've heard rumour its Photonis, but I'm not sure if that is the case.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews