Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Rain gear

:

Gear Discussion

Old May 31st, 2015, 20:13   #1
daishi

Send a message via MSN to daishi
Rain gear

Im looking to finish up my 24 hour op bag, and im missing rain gear.

I run a cadpat load out, so im looking to get some cadpat rain gear of somesort. I want to of course be able to still use my GBBR and have access to my mags.

I am not interested in putting a rain jacket on then putting my bdu and vest ontop of that.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
This is one of the funniest things I've read.
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.
daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 20:24   #2
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

I'm not sure if anyone makes fake CADPAT rain jackets, or what your luck would be in getting them surplus.

I honestly hate the issued jacket, I always seem to get soaked.
I usually just wear the stealth jacket, I love it, works wonders.
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 20:26   #3
MiniMcNabb
E-09

Based on your wants/needs your only real option is Canadian cadpat Goretex. If you are somewhat flexible on pattern there is also USMC Goretex in Marpat.
Old May 31st, 2015, 20:30   #4
daishi

Yah, I need something to go with cadpat...since I will be wearing it OVER my gear and bdu. People still need to be able to see me colours and all.
Quote:
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.
Old May 31st, 2015, 20:36   #5
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

If you find some lemme know too lol
and repro will either be more money than "surplus" (as there is no actual surplus)
and or it wont he real goretex so itll leak more than the real stuff lol
or you can look for a ripstop poncho amd some od pants.
http://m.ebay.ca/itm/381205556354?nav=SEARCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft

Last edited by Hectic; May 31st, 2015 at 20:42..
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 20:38   #6
daishi

Btw, for the cadpat goretex jacket.... I am assuming you would wear that over your bdu...but have your vest ontop of it correct?

Would anyone know where to purchase one?
Quote:
Old May 31st, 2015, 20:47   #7
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Its not gonna be easy to find. Just finding a legit cadpat bdu can be hard. All that stuff belongs to the queen n she dont like givin it away while its still in service.
Ive been searching for a full set of cadpat goretex for some time, you prety much have to walk into every surplus store you can find in person and poke around and ask, and even then if they have they may not give due to the legalities.
see my previous post for the poncho. They are good and csn be used as shelter as well. Over gear in a pinch. Just leave the zipper open and use the velcro incase u need to get at mags N such. but yeah under your rig can work too, more likely to leak tho. And depending on temp as well. Ive been known to wear boxers and a tank top under goretex sock, pants and jacket when its hot out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 20:47   #8
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

dont. use. goretex.

goretex is garrison kit. You use it when you're standing still in 60mm rainstorms for hours on end to stay dry.

For running around, you want softshell. You actually WANT some of that rainwater to run through the jacket to cool you off. Goretex is only slightly better than a rubber jacket, it breathes, but it doesn't breathe well when the outside of it is already wet.

Just get an OD softshell. I'm never wearing goretex anything ever again.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 20:50   #9
MiniMcNabb
E-09

Yes you wear it under your vest/webbing/PC.
Old May 31st, 2015, 20:53   #10
daishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
dont. use. goretex.

goretex is garrison kit. You use it when you're standing still in 60mm rainstorms for hours on end to stay dry.

For running around, you want softshell. You actually WANT some of that rainwater to run through the jacket to cool you off. Goretex is only slightly better than a rubber jacket, it breathes, but it doesn't breathe well when the outside of it is already wet.

I'm just worried for some games were you mix solids and camos and such. Could you give me an example of a soft shell? I only am looking to play outdoors during the summer months.

And yah, the poncho idea is good, but im not sure how it would work over my gear and such.
Quote:
Old May 31st, 2015, 20:53   #11
MiniMcNabb
E-09

Quote:
dont. use. goretex.

So what about times when people are outside for hours fairly static in heavy rain?
Old May 31st, 2015, 21:00   #12
pugs144

The issue CF raingear is stiff, heavy, noisy, and likely not even real Goretex. For an airsofter it is not worth it at any price.

If you're static and experiencing heavy rain Goretex is ok. Keep in mind that Goretex works better in cooler temps as it needs that temperature gradient to pump moisture out.

Wearing Goretex in the summer during a rainstorm you're still likely going to get soaked from within though.

Last edited by pugs144; May 31st, 2015 at 21:09..
pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 21:10   #13
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I played claybank in 60mm of rain, numerous other rainstorms, outside in 0 degrees, overnight at 5 degrees, 120km/h winds, etc in my softshell. Without a thermal layer, it's been good from 12-20 degrees. With a thermal layer I've playing in -5 to 11 and been really comfortable.
I've done cold and hot and rainy with my goretex jacket and honestly I'd never think of ever using it again. It just traps your heat in too well. My every experience has been that it kept the rain out perfectly, but I'd just get soaked with sweat anyway, so it really didn't help at all.
The softshell does a significantly better job of regulating heat. The rain cools you down, but the jacket cuts off the chilling effect of any windage.
With the softshell, you can throw it on as the temp starts to drop at night, and take it off when it's convenient in the morning. No risk of quickly overheating if shit hits the fan and all of a sudden you're running 5km in 26 degree heat.
Plus you don't get that annoying crinkly sound every time you move lol

Quite simply, if goretex was the answer, we'd see a lot more goretex gear and a lot less softshell gear!
The 4-way stretch fabric is the best, but very expensive. Supposedly condor makes a decent softshell, you'll have to check reviews.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 21:13   #14
daishi

Quote:
I played claybank in 60mm of rain, numerous other rainstorms, outside in 0 degrees, overnight at 5 degrees, 120km/h winds, etc in my softshell. Without a thermal layer, it's been good from 12-20 degrees. With a thermal layer I've playing in -5 to 11 and been really comfortable.
I've done cold and hot and rainy with my goretex jacket and honestly I'd never think of ever using it again. It just traps your heat in too well. My every experience has been that it kept the rain out perfectly, but I'd just get soaked with sweat anyway, so it really didn't help at all.
The softshell does a significantly better job of regulating heat. The rain cools you down, but the jacket cuts off the chilling effect of any windage.
With the softshell, you can throw it on as the temp starts to drop at night, and take it off when it's convenient in the morning. No risk of quickly overheating if shit hits the fan and all of a sudden you're running 5km in 26 degree heat.
Plus you don't get that annoying crinkly sound every time you move lol

Quite simply, if goretex was the answer, we'd see a lot more goretex gear and a lot less softshell gear!
The 4-way stretch fabric is the best, but very expensive. Supposedly condor makes a decent softshell, you'll have to check reviews.
What soft shell do you use?
Quote:
Old May 31st, 2015, 21:23   #15
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Get a poncho in dark green. Ponchos are light weight, roll up into a small pocket or pouch and can also protect your gun from the rain. It's easy to reach underneath and grab a magazine. A very cheap alternative is the $5 ones from Canadian Tire, which you can get clear and therefore will show your CadPat. I personally recommend a product like the OPSEC or similar. If you're looking for something to go under your kit, then a light, tactical rain jacket is best. You'll likely have to settle for solid green as CadPat isn't used a lot impractical gear other than issued gear and crappy replicas.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion