Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

M9 question

:

Newbie Tank

Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:21   #1
ap27

M9 question

I'm looking to buy an M9 GBB and would like to get some owners input on my choices. I've settled on two that fall within my range - the KJW M9 and the WE M9A1 Tactical.

The only accessory i'd really like to get is a suppressor. I'm aware i'll need to get a threaded outer barrel and swap it in. Besides that, can anyone comment on any pros and cons for each. Looking for inputs on things like
- build
- common problems
- compatibility
- gas consumption
- the aforementioned threaded barrel availability
- any other quips you'd like to add

ap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:29   #2
Enjoi

I have the KJW M9 Vertec Full metal with underbarrel rail. Excellent gun, no jams thus far, gas consumption is good. Havent tried the WE one so cant comment on that.

Only issue with the KJW is that to access the hop up, the gun needs to be disassembled. not sure about the barrel thread for the supressor though.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 13:02   #3
ratnest

i had a kjw cansoft m9ia, and a i have a kjw pt92, both are reliable. they can take tm m9 mags, but the tm mags don't have enough power to cycle the slide back far enough for the slide to lock after the last bb. they feed and fire fine though.

right now i have the m9ia slide sitting on the pt92 frame with a threaded barrel from 007, which is 14mm+ and also have the kjw supresor

only issue is the hop up requires you to take the slide off the gun and adjust it with a tiny alan key

and the tiny little hop up hole
ratnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 13:11   #4
ap27

^Thanks so much for the input! Have you had any issues with the selector switch falling off? Also, does it it require re-gassing after each clip of bbs?

I hope someone with the WE can pitch in as well. I like the tan and black color combo!

ap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 13:16   #5
ratnest

i havn't had problem with gas capacity, but i couldn't tell you how many mags on one fill of gas. a bit more than 2 maybe 3.
ratnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 14:11   #6
sushicake

I say get the WE or if you can the Socom Gear one, same gun just rebranded but the WE's generally dont have trades and have a giant WE emblem somewhere on the gun. The socom gear ones have trades (well socom gear trades) and dont have stupid WE emblems anywhere but have cool socom gear ones. And they have really cool paint apps/styles on their M9's. Also most WE/Socom Gears come with a threaded barrel adapter for the barrel which you can screw off if you dont want threads on it.

And if no thread adapter is provided airsoftparts.ca sells this usefull piece comes with extras too.

http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/in...oducts_id=1925

Both KJ and WE are TM compatible so parts are plentiful for them if anything breaks (KJ I know is WE was last time I checked atleast)

As for the safety switch falling off, the right side is only held on by a tiny grub screw and will get loose after awhile due to the vibration of the blow back all I can tell you is locktite is your friend there.

Last edited by sushicake; February 3rd, 2011 at 14:17..
sushicake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 14:16   #7
Thenooblord
Can't fix my own guns. Willing to fix yours.

Send a message via MSN to Thenooblord
everything WE makes is garbage, go with KJW or bettter yet, KSC for M9s, and paint it yorself, you'll be thankful later

Words to live by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
The apartment I am in right now costs $100 a month.
My average spending on food per day is less than $4.
My airsoft spending in the last month and a half has totaled over $1400.
They're called priorities. Get yourself some.

Last edited by Thenooblord; February 3rd, 2011 at 14:19..
Thenooblord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 14:18   #8
sushicake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenooblord View Post
everything WE makes is garbage, go with KJW or bettter yet, KSC for M9s
just because everything you touch breaks or ends up being destroyed somehow.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 14:24   #9
Thenooblord
Can't fix my own guns. Willing to fix yours.

Send a message via MSN to Thenooblord
only the WE shit, i have little issues with any other brand

Words to live by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
The apartment I am in right now costs $100 a month.
My average spending on food per day is less than $4.
My airsoft spending in the last month and a half has totaled over $1400.
They're called priorities. Get yourself some.
Thenooblord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 14:31   #10
Skladfin

i had WE Hicapa before and right now own the WE M9 Tan(the socom gear one with trades but not rebranded). It's really good, and I've also installed that Madbull threaded barrel as well with an Action lightweight suppressor.

Be careful if you use a suppressor, it will weight down the outerbarrel so much that sometimes the slides causes enough friction during blowback to not have enough power to lock back. That's why I bought the lightest suppressor possible for the gun.

btw I'm hitting 390ish with this madbull barrel.
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 14:43   #11
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

I have owned and used the same KJW M9 elite for close to 5 or 6 years now. It gets heavy frequent use during my playing season and has only suffered one minor failure but that was magazine related.

All internal springs are replaced every year or two depending on use and I just recently added new reinforced loading nozzle, not that the old one was broken but it was getting worn down and this was more of a preventative maintenance act. The magazine catch on the M9 seems to suffer from heavy wear mainly because the older models used plastic catches. The magazine catch has been replaced in this pistol 3 times now. The first two were plastic catches while the 3rd existing catch is all metal and currently shows no signs of wear. The factory grips have been replaced with real hogue grips which I find are much more comfortable than the standard plastic grips.

Depending on temperature I can usually average 2 real cap magazines and sometimes even three before I need to regass. Although I prefer to top off whenever I can.

With good maintenance I hope to keep this GBB running for a few more years to come till I retire it.

"Its only a little bit on fire"

Last edited by TokyoSeven; February 3rd, 2011 at 14:50..
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 14:45   #12
Shrike
ASC Philosopher

I've owned the KJW M9 and it has been an awesome gun, no failures on any part of it.

Last edited by TokyoSeven; February 3rd, 2011 at 14:52..
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 16:29   #13
Specs

KJW m9. Parts are easy to get and you can get a barrel with threads for like 25 bucks. I have only had one problem with it and I think I have it fixed i have yet to try it. it has lasted about 3 years now.

EDIT: great gas consumption and very nice kick. Locks after last shot every time

Kingston airsoft, we do it better.
Specs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 16:46   #14
SniperSam

Send a message via AIM to SniperSam Send a message via MSN to SniperSam Send a message via Skype™ to SniperSam
I used the KJW M9 PTP several times in skirmishes and a couple times in mil sims, didnt buy a silencer, crafted one out of very light wood (made a tube out of maple(i think) then filled it with insulation foam

Whoa guy with the thumb rings, save some pussy for the rest of us

Welcome to Bed Bath and Beyoncé, if you find anything you like, put a ring on it.

What idiot called them Black Bears instead of African Abearicans
SniperSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 23:02   #15
kullwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenooblord View Post
everything WE makes is garbage, go with KJW or bettter yet, KSC for M9s, and paint it yorself, you'll be thankful later
From what I know There's four main M9s

Tokyo Marui -Old design, Safety disconnects the trigger from hammer (DOES NOT DECOCK), KJW in Canada beats it in price and metal parts

KJW -Clone of Marui, Hardest kicking one, Safety disconnects the trigger from hammer (DOES NOT DECOCK)

WE -Cheapest full metal, WE quality is probably makes it lower than other 5

KSC/KWA -Good gas efficiency, Make sure to get the mags with floorplate screw onto the magazine body (ver 1's floor plate tab will break really easily), Safety decocks the hammer (DOES NOT DISCONNECT THE TRIGGER FROM HAMMER)

WA -HFC134a ONLY, Safety decocks the hammer and disconnect trigger from hammer, avoid this if possible.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank